PDA

View Full Version : 12v keyed source to power Fuzeblock FZ1??

Spyder2780
07-20-2011, 07:21 PM
Hi All.....I am looking to tap into a 12v couce to power my new Fuzeblock FZ-1. I've heard of people tapping into wires that already existing with Posi-taps but i'm not sure if I should do that when feeding a Fuzeblock keyed source. Where does a "keyed source" originate? Is there a terminal post that I can use a ring terminal and run a new wire direct and not have to get into existing wires? Also, has anyone used this Fuzeblock FZ1? If so, how did you power your 12v keyed supply source? Pics or diagrams would help if possible. Thanks in advance

http://www.fuzeblocks.com/index.php

NancysToy
07-20-2011, 09:23 PM
You need two 12V sources with the FZ-1. The main feed to the fuse block is from the battery (and usually the ground, too). You need to tap into a keyed 12V circuit to operate the on-board relay on the FZ-1. This will need to be a circuit that is not monitored, but it need not be rated for much amperage. Typically, on an RS, this would be the switched accessory circuit for the 12V outlet in the trunk, or a non-critical lighting circuit like the marker lights. I used the switched accessory circuit on Nancy's to operate her fuse block relay. This wire is a violet/yellow 20 Ga wire located toward the left front of the Spyder (usually near the left upper suspension bracket if the 12V trunk outlet is not installed), or accessible at the bottom of the fuse box. You may be able to access it through the left wheelwell, or you can remove the trunk. Remember to install a 3 amp fuse in the switched accessory slot of the fusebox if you don't have the 12V outlet.

Spyder2780
07-21-2011, 11:14 AM
What do i do if I have the 12v accessory power port installed? Thanks

lightman02
07-21-2011, 11:32 AM

You can either take the power from another source or just tap off the wire from the installed 12V accessory port. The switched 12V on the FZ-1 is only used to power the relay so there's not much power needed for the switched wire.

Some Guy
07-21-2011, 11:52 AM

I use the accessory wire to power the fuse block relay only. I ran new, heavier wires from the new fuse block to the accessory port in the trunk.

That way I can have a port in the trunk that is more than 3 amps. :thumbup:

(my portable air compressor draws 5 amps)