PDA

View Full Version : Watchout for deer

retiredsquid
07-20-2011, 12:47 PM
I often stop for deer in the road and keep a close eye out for them on the county road in front of my farm. I know where they generally cross and am especially dilligent in those areas.

Having known two guys that have hit deer on motorcycles I do not want to ever do it. One of the riders died on the scene and the other was hurt really bad.

Anyway this morning I was on my way to my Dad's farm about 3 miles from his place doing a bit over 55mph when all of a sudden a doe bolts out of the brush into my lane crossing from right to left.:yikes: I all but locked up the brakes on the hot asphalt, as there was nowhere for me to go.:gaah: I managed to miss her by inches and I am thankful for the Elka shocks and the MSF course I took back in 2008. It may take a few days to remove the leather from the Corbin saddle from my rear end, though.

Bob Denman
07-20-2011, 01:02 PM
:congrats: on the "Big Miss"!! Big eyes and brown shorts episode number one... :yikes:

ARtraveler
07-20-2011, 01:05 PM
:clap:That you were able to miss the close encounter of the worst kind.

When I lived in MN and WS I had several encounters with deer and also was lucky.

My last motorcycle ride before I left WS for AK--I almost got mine from a deer.

Here in AK--we have to watch out for moose and bear, and yes, I have had a couple close calls since I moved here.

Drive safe.

mowin
07-20-2011, 01:08 PM
I also live in a area with lots of deer. I lost a friend yrs ago when he hit a deer with his HD..He may have survived but it late at nite with no moon and the next driver didnt see him until it was too late. Few miles from me my cousins neighbor had to be air lifted after hitting a deer with his MC.

I always expect one(or more) too squirt out suddenly. I like to ryde at nite, but theres too many deer out then..

Stay safe and keep a watchfull eye for them furry critters..:spyder:

boborgera
07-20-2011, 01:10 PM
I've nailed a few of those Woods Rats over the years, One with the Spyder, lucky that one was just a love tap.
There's a 6 mile stretch of road from my town to the next, And two years ago [the last publish figures] 267 hits were reported on that road in one year, And Not every one reports hits ether.
I'm hoping it's only the dumb ones [deer] are being eliminated from the gene pool.

retiredsquid
07-20-2011, 01:23 PM
I don't ride at night as a result of so many deer in the area. If I must drive at night I drive my F-150. My son keeps ragging on me to get a heavy duty grill guard with bull bar on the truck.

I've had up to eighteen at a time counted in my yard. So far two have been hit out front here and ended up dying in my yard.

My son and I make sure to reduce the population every fall for the chili pot and other delicious dishes. :2thumbs: I just don't want them as hood ornaments.

Bob Denman
07-20-2011, 01:45 PM
My son and I make sure to reduce the population every fall for the chili pot and other delicious dishes. :2thumbs: I just don't want them as hood ornaments.

:agree: :thumbup: They make for some great chili when you run 'em through a grinder! ...And bear is even BETTER!! :2thumbs:

Chick
07-20-2011, 02:16 PM
Happy to hear that you missed her! Deer are a huge problem in our area -- not enough hunters. I had to stop for 23 crossing the road earlier this year. :yikes:

Mr. White
07-20-2011, 02:42 PM
I am glad you missed the deer. They are not a problem on our south Texas roads, but ya gotta be careful mowing the lawn.

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r158/Georgephoto72/DEER4.jpg

ARtraveler
07-20-2011, 03:59 PM
Love the picture. Where we lived in WS we would have the deer beding down on our lawn from time to time. 15-20 at a time. Our land was on the Odanah resrvation and the natives would drive by and pick deer off with their guns along the road. I even had gut piles left on our property a couple of times. Yep--I believe it was not legal to road hunt--but they did it all the time.

retiredsquid
07-20-2011, 04:36 PM
I have one hundred acres of very steep terrain (Ozarks) and have found three carcasses left laying by poachers. I now have my property posted and guarantee any poacher caught will spend some time in the Benton County jail. If someone shoots from the road into my yard they will be chained to the gate for the game wardens to haul off.

Mr. White
07-20-2011, 04:48 PM
Those are axis deer. They are from Europe, I believe. It is said someone brought them over to So. Texas many years ago and they are all over the place. I have a lot of white tails too. In this BAD drought, I put water out for them.

Mr. Squid, Texas has some stiff traspass laws, held over from old times. We also now have the great "castle law".....ya can defend your family and property to whatever level necessary.

:spyder2:

retiredsquid
07-20-2011, 05:01 PM
Those are axis deer. They are from Europe, I believe. It is said someone brought them over to So. Texas many years ago and they are all over the place. I have a lot of white tails too. In this BAD drought, I put water out for them.

Mr. Squid, Texas has some stiff traspass laws, held over from old times. We also now have the great "castle law".....ya can defend your family and property to whatever level necessary.

In addition to that, I am a former LEO, my son is a current LEO and I have an excellent relationship with both the sheriff and game wardens. My place would be a very foolish one to run afoul of the law on. :thumbup:

Mr. White
07-20-2011, 06:40 PM
In addition to that, I am a former LEO, my son is a current LEO and I have an excellent relationship with both the sheriff and game wardens. My place would be a very foolish one to run afoul of the law on. :thumbup:

:thumbup: :thumbup:

Two thumbs up for you guys. I appreciate your service.

MMcc
07-20-2011, 06:57 PM
I met a fellow on crutches while working in Winnipeg Canada. He laid his HD down trying to avoid a moose. He told me that the bike and he were sliding and took the legs out from under the moose. Unfortunately the moose landed on him. Two of the moose legs were broken as was one of his plus ribs, pelvis,arm and a cracked spine. He felt he was lucky to be alive. Of course he was on a backroad so he lay there with an angry injured moose for quite a while before another car came along to help.:gaah:

retiredsquid
07-20-2011, 07:49 PM
When I was stationed in Newfoundland back in the early/mid 70s an RCMP Mountie related a story of an accident he worked on the TCH where a fellow broadsided a moose at a very high rate of speed late one night. Both the rider and moose ended up being difficult to figure out which was which. He said it was one heck of a mess. He figured the rider never saw it until right at impact.