PDA

View Full Version : Tips for new trailer owner

Papa
07-19-2011, 09:25 PM
Picking up my new RT 622 at Cowtown tomorrow. Any yips fir someone who has never pulled a trailer before?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NancysToy
07-19-2011, 10:00 PM
Always double check your hitch latch, pin, safety cables, and wiring connector before you leave the driveway. Check the lights on the trailer to be sure they are all working properly...every time you hook it up. You will not even notice the trailer is there, for the most part, but if you have an SE, be sure to use trailer mode so you keep your rpm up. Remember that the trailer will cut in closer on the corners, so ride in a little deeper before you turn, and don't cut the curbs too close. Around gas pumps and such, I go very slowly and look back to make sure I am going to clear. When loading the trailer, adjust the cargo to provide adequate tongue weight. The tongue weight should be at least 10-15% of the loaded trailer weight for best handling. Finally, go somewhere secluded and practice backing up the trailer. It is tricky with the long Spyder wheelbase and the short trailer. If it gets crossed up, even a little bit, pull forward a bit and try again...as many times as it takes. Don't worry about all this advice, you'll be a pro in no time. The RT-622 is a sweetheart!

Papa
07-20-2011, 07:36 AM
Scotty

As always thank you for your thoughtful Informative response. It is greatly appreciated.

Al

taggtr
07-20-2011, 07:39 AM
Great tips Scotty! Just got my trailer and planning a trip in Sept from AZ to OH!

SpyderAnn01
07-20-2011, 07:59 AM
You won't know the trailer is there until you try to backup. Here is a trick I learned from my friend ButchA2025 on our trip to Maggie Valley.

I was always looking for a double row of spaces so I could pull through (still the best option if available). If there was only a single row I would look for 3 or 4 spaces together and I would try to loop in and stop with the nose pointed out. I couldn't ever get it straightened out and often took up 2 spots.

I noticed that Butch always pulled into a spot and then backed out. I was impressed and that is when he said "backing out of a parking place is a whole lot easier than backing into one". I gave it a try and as long as I have the Spyder and the trailer lined up straight it is pretty easy.

Is your trailer a 2010? If so you may want to bring along vise grips, a drill or Lamont :roflblack:

Hawk
07-20-2011, 08:27 AM
Is your trailer a 2010? If so you may want to bring along vise grips, a drill or Lamont :roflblack:

What is he doing??

MarkLawson
07-20-2011, 11:10 AM
When hitching/unhitching the trailer to/from your Spyder, NEVER start the process without completing it before turning your attention to something else. Don't allow anything or anyone to distract you.
Never assume that when someone else hitches it, that they have done it right. Check yourself before pulling.
Check your trailer connections at every stop to make sure it is still sound.
Pack lot's of clothes so you can take long road trips!

SpyderAnn01
07-20-2011, 05:42 PM
What is he doing??

Drilling out the lock. That was the second one I've had that partially falls out leaving all of your stuff locked inside.

MarkLawson
07-20-2011, 06:02 PM
Drilling out the lock. That was the second one I've had that partially falls out leaving all of your stuff locked inside.

Early on, BRP was using a lockset that was pretty cheaply made. It wasn't long into the 2010 RT model run that they upgraded to a better quality lockset when they started having to replace not only the defective lockset, but also the other locksets on the RT & trailer to keep the key matched. Mine fell into the latter catagory.

Papa
07-20-2011, 06:13 PM
Thanks for all the good advice. Practiced backing up and now understand the issue. Watch word going forward is "plan ahead"

Ann - yep, it's a 2010. Hope I got one of the later locks.

SpyderAnn01
07-20-2011, 07:01 PM
Thanks for all the good advice. Practiced backing up and now understand the issue. Watch word going forward is "plan ahead"

Ann - yep, it's a 2010. Hope I got one of the later locks.

Just be gentle when you remove the key. And if you do have an issue make sure your get both the plastic part with the latches and the lock cylinder replaced. The problem is that the cylinder is a tiny bit longer than the hole it goes in.

guinness
07-23-2011, 10:10 PM
I always carry a cable lock when traveling with the trailer so I can lock it "down" at night and not worry about it sprouting legs.

ThreeFeet
07-23-2011, 11:18 PM
Picking up my new RT 622 at Cowtown tomorrow. Any yips fir someone who has never pulled a trailer before?

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkWhen hooked up put a padlock on the trailer hitch instead of the pin they give you. That way you don't have to worry too much about it traveling without you. Just don't loose the key for it. Remember when in TRAILER MODE you have to get er up to over 5000 rpm infirst in order to go to 2nd. Think the same holds true for all the gears. Check the manual for that one. But the 5000 rpms to get out of 1st is a fact. Have a great time traveling, I did and the trailer is there but mostly unobtrusive. Watch you don't try taking the kitchen sink. The thing is HUGE!!!! lots of room for yer "stuff" if it gets squirrly repack in a diff way. :clap::ohyea:

Yol Bolsun
07-24-2011, 12:58 AM
...squirrly ...
Squirrly is a good indication of too light on the tongue. Shift a little weight forward. Remember, 30#-40# tongue weight.

retired1
07-24-2011, 10:16 AM
I've never tried backing an RT-622 trailer. I just use my rear view mirrors. I have them adjusted so I can see the rear corners of my trailer, therefore I don't have to turn my head around to back up. Being a former semi driver maybe helps.
I very seldom scroll through the menu to the trailer screen. I just remember that I have the trailer on and upshift accordingly.
Just my experience.

dancogan
07-24-2011, 06:53 PM
Always double check your hitch latch, pin, safety cables, and wiring connector before you leave the driveway. Check the lights on the trailer to be sure they are all working properly...every time you hook it up. You will not even notice the trailer is there, for the most part, but if you have an SE, be sure to use trailer mode so you keep your rpm up. Remember that the trailer will cut in closer on the corners, so ride in a little deeper before you turn, and don't cut the curbs too close. Around gas pumps and such, I go very slowly and look back to make sure I am going to clear. When loading the trailer, adjust the cargo to provide adequate tongue weight. The tongue weight should be at least 10-15% of the loaded trailer weight for best handling. Finally, go somewhere secluded and practice backing up the trailer. It is tricky with the long Spyder wheelbase and the short trailer. If it gets crossed up, even a little bit, pull forward a bit and try again...as many times as it takes. Don't worry about all this advice, you'll be a pro in no time. The RT-622 is a sweetheart!

:2thumbs: Great advice!