PDA

View Full Version : Clutch tension relief - any ideas?

SpydherLuv
07-19-2011, 08:22 PM
Is it just me, or do others also experience hand pain using the clutch on a SM5? I was told the clutch tension would decrease the more I ride, but I have about 1,000 miles on my :spyder2: and don't think the tension has decreased at all. And I do most of my riding commuting via back roads, so I definitely use the clutch a lot. I also have it set the closest to the grip.

Does anyone know whether an aftermarket product exists which helps to alleviate some of the tension? When I had a HD, I had (what was known as) an 'easy clutch' installed and it made a big difference.

I am considering a switch to an SE, but since I just bought my :spyder2: in March, I know I'll take a big hit on trade in; which I really don't want to do if I don't have to. So I now turn to the almighty SpyderLovers with the hope of finding some relief for my tired and aching hand. :pray:

Appreciate your advice and suggestions. :chat:

-Anita

bill pitman
07-19-2011, 08:34 PM
Have you tried the clutch with the Spyder not running? Work the clutch and get a "feel" for the pressure needed to work it. Then start the engine and check again. There is a vacuum-assist which helps to lessen the pressure to work the clutch. If you don't feel a noticeable difference you may have a vacuum assist problem.

bill

boborgera
07-19-2011, 08:39 PM
Is it just me, or do others also experience hand pain using the clutch on a SM5? I was told the clutch tension would decrease the more I ride, but I have about 1,000 miles on my :spyder2: and don't think the tension has decreased at all. And I do most of my riding commuting via back roads, so I definitely use the clutch a lot. I also have it set the closest to the grip.
-Anita

I don't have any hand pain, But i do notice that when i go from my Spyder to my Kaw that the clutch on the Spyder is much stiffer,
The Kaw is featherlite compared to the Spyder.

maxhdrm2
07-19-2011, 08:46 PM
You might think about evoluzione slave cylinder mod. copied from their website, machined from 6061-t6 billet aluminum and then red anodized, slave cylinder is not only a beautiful addition to your bike but a functional one as well. it has been designed to reduce effort at the lever by almost 20% while providing much smoother clutch engagement.

http://www.evoluzione.net/evo-cycle-can-am.htm

DietitianBill
07-19-2011, 09:29 PM
Don't use the clutch on upshifts... always an option and No it won't hurt anything if you let off the gas and then upshift. Air shifters and more recently electric shifters just use an ignition kill to take the tension off the transmission for a split second while it makes a clutch-less upshift.

SpydherLuv
07-19-2011, 10:00 PM
You might think about evoluzione slave cylinder mod. copied from their website, machined from 6061-t6 billet aluminum and then red anodized, slave cylinder is not only a beautiful addition to your bike but a functional one as well. it has been designed to reduce effort at the lever by almost 20% while providing much smoother clutch engagement.

http://www.evoluzione.net/evo-cycle-can-am.htm

Thanks Max. Do you know someone who has one of these?

SpydherLuv
07-19-2011, 10:01 PM
Have you tried the clutch with the Spyder not running? Work the clutch and get a "feel" for the pressure needed to work it. Then start the engine and check again. There is a vacuum-assist which helps to lessen the pressure to work the clutch. If you don't feel a noticeable difference you may have a vacuum assist problem.

bill

No, I haven't tried that, but will give it a try. Thanks! :2thumbs:

SpydherLuv
07-19-2011, 10:07 PM
Don't use the clutch on upshifts... always an option and No it won't hurt anything if you let off the gas and then upshift. Air shifters and more recently electric shifters just use an ignition kill to take the tension off the transmission for a split second while it makes a clutch-less upshift.

The pain isn't noticeable when upshifting since I don't have to hold it for any length of time. It's generally painful downshifting and sitting at lights. I don't like applying the brakes too early and will downshift to a stop. I will sometimes stay in 2nd or 3rd until I stop, but that still requires me to pull the clutch in before stopping.

maxhdrm2
07-20-2011, 05:35 AM
Thanks Max. Do you know someone who has one of these?
A quick search and I see that Docdoru has this mod. Maybe he would share his experience with this product. Send him a PM and ask.

NancysToy
07-20-2011, 07:28 AM
I fear that you may have deeper seated issues than the Spyder clutch. Nancy has notoriously weak hands. She had to get one of those spring exercisers to build up her hand before she got the Spyder or took her MSF course. Despite all of that, she has never had any pain. I suspect tendonitis, carpel tunnel syndrome, or a similar medical malady. If that is the case, you would need to see a doctor or physical therapist for the cure, not the parts house. I hope things work out. Maybe your medical insurance will cover the cost of an SE? :roflblack:

Lamonster
07-20-2011, 07:31 AM
:agree:
If you are having pain and not just having trouble pulling in the clutch then you got something going on with your hands. Maybe a trade for an SE is in your future. :dontknow:

SpydherLuv
07-20-2011, 11:02 AM
I fear that you may have deeper seated issues than the Spyder clutch. Nancy has notoriously weak hands. She had to get one of those spring exercisers to build up her hand before she got the Spyder or took her MSF course. Despite all of that, she has never had any pain. I suspect tendonitis, carpel tunnel syndrome, or a similar medical malady. If that is the case, you would need to see a doctor or physical therapist for the cure, not the parts house. I hope things work out. Maybe your medical insurance will cover the cost of an SE? :roflblack:

:agree:
If you are having pain and not just having trouble pulling in the clutch then you got something going on with your hands. Maybe a trade for an SE is in your future. :dontknow:

You are both correct. I have repetitive strain in both of my hands - no thanks to sitting at a desk all day, for the last 15 yrs, or so. It's certainly not debilitating, but rather frustrating. I still have a strong grip, but am unable to keep it squeezed for long before the pain starts to kick in. Perhaps I'll try the hand exerciser.

By the way, I heard from another member who has the Evoluzione clutch slave and he said it made a big difference, so I think I'm going to give it a shot. It beats taking a several thousand dollar hit on a trade in to purchase an SE.

Thanks for all of your feedback - as always you guys ROCK!! :firstplace:

NancysToy
07-20-2011, 11:50 AM
You are both correct. I have repetitive strain in both of my hands - no thanks to sitting at a desk all day, for the last 15 yrs, or so. It's certainly not debilitating, but rather frustrating. I still have a strong grip, but am unable to keep it squeezed for long before the pain starts to kick in. Perhaps I'll try the hand exerciser.

By the way, I heard from another member who has the Evoluzione clutch slave and he said it made a big difference, so I think I'm going to give it a shot. It beats taking a several thousand dollar hit on a trade in to purchase an SE.

Thanks for all of your feedback - as always you guys ROCK!! :firstplace:
You may want to visit your physical therapist. They can sometimes work wonders. I had severe pain in my wrist long after a bad fall. My therapist did all the usual stuff, strengthening and stretching, and it helped, but the sharp pain remained. He found it was caused by involvement from my forearm and hand muscles. After he got the knots out, with much work over many weeks, all was well again.

SpydherLuv
07-20-2011, 12:29 PM
I will be seeing a massage therapist for some shoulder muscle pain and will have her work on my forearms as well. Great idea, thanks!

SpydherLuv
07-20-2011, 04:29 PM
Just placed my order for the Evoluzione clutch slave. I'll report back once I have it installed. Thanks again for everyone's input. :2thumbs:

dshogman
07-24-2011, 10:25 AM
Well, based on wht I've read here and the feeling in my left wrist, I too order the part today. A question though for those more knowledgeable that I - what about the factory warranty? I'm thinking, based on what I've been told in the past, that if there was a warranty issue with the clutch, then the factory could deny the claim. But for anything else on the Spyder, they could not. Is this correct?
Thanks.

lightman02
07-24-2011, 10:48 AM
I actually have the same issue but only when sitting in stop and go traffic when you have to feather the clutch a lot. I do get some pain, but once I let off the clutch it does go away rather quickly. I been meaning to check if my vacum assist has been working as well.

SpydherLuv
07-31-2011, 09:39 PM
I finally had some time to do the install on Evoluzione's clutch slave cylinder today, and wouldn't you know it, I couldn't get the center ball nut off. :cus::cus::cus:!!!! :(
I kept at it awhile, but I had to stop before I stripped the entire nut. Needless to say, I'll be sending the parts back and deal with the pain.