PDA

View Full Version : 2nd ride impressions

dshogman
07-17-2011, 01:35 PM
Much better today. Right turns good, left turns hugging the center line too much. 1st ride, I was way back on the comfort seat - to the butt rest - so my arms were way out, hurting wrists and back of neck. Still getting the Helibars but today I moved up on the seat - to the junk zone - and was able to handle the bars better, wrists OK but neck still not good due to position of my head. I have the 23" touring windshield and I think I'm going to need more - too much wind into the helmet. Fun thing:clap:
Talk about attention - couldn't get out of the RV park without a 20 minute conversation with a fellow full-timer. And then went to a large restaurant parking lot here in Anacortes to do some turning and backing practice which lasted 10 miniutes till the crowd (6) arrived. Another 20 minutes talking and explaining. Will this ever cease?:2thumbs:

BikerDoc
07-17-2011, 01:52 PM
Get used to it.. You are a rock star now.. Attention will follow you Glad to hear of your progress. It won't take long now for full comfort

Texmac1011
07-17-2011, 01:55 PM
If you don't mind me asking, how tall are you? More than a 23" windshield and Helibar risers sounds like an odd combination.

dshogman
07-17-2011, 02:38 PM
I'm 5' 8" and probably shrinking as I age (72 now). I will definitely wait till the Helibars is installed before I do anything about the windshield. I'm more concenrned about getting into an upright seating position than I am with the wind over the top of the windshield as I wear a full face helmet (Schuberth).

arntufun
07-17-2011, 02:46 PM
I'm 5' 8" and probably shrinking as I age (72 now). I will definitely wait till the Helibars is installed before I do anything about the windshield. I'm more concenrned about getting into an upright seating position than I am with the wind over the top of the windshield as I wear a full face helmet (Schuberth).

72 years old and you ryde a RS ??? That is awesome !!!
Eat your heart out all you RT ryders :roflblack:
Your the man !!! :2thumbs::2thumbs:

Questions
07-17-2011, 03:25 PM
I too had wind issues when I first got it. I also drive an RS. I am a little taller (6'4"). I came from a Harley Ultra so I never knew what wind was. WOW when I drove the :spyder2: with the original sport windshield. I try so hard to scour this forum for info on any mod before I spend my hard earned dollars (what there are of them). Mods ain't cheap.

That being said I opted for the BRP lowers to eliminate the "bobble head" effect (it worked). Then the Madstadt windshield to reduce the in your face wind. That also worked.

Lastly, time also helped me. After many years of no wind on my Harley, having wind around me was a shock. Now, it's what wind? As long as I don't have it directly in my face, I'm a happy camper. It's just too hot down here to wear a full face helmet all year.

daveinva
07-17-2011, 03:38 PM
I'm 5'9"ish+ and started off with the RS joke windshield. It did nothing but look cool.

BUT, the wind didn't bother me too much, surprisingly. I had to get going *really* fast for it to be a factor.

Still, I wanted a better windshield, and I got it in the Madstad. It took me a few tries to find the best spot for the 22", but I think I now have it dialed in (at least until I put my ESI easy risers on, they just showed up in the mail).

That said, if I had to do it over again, I'd probably order the 24".

However, here are my rules of thumb about bike windshields:
1. If you see through it instead of over it, you're doing it wrong. With the right windshield and helmet combination, wind sails *over and around* your helmet, even if you're looking over the shield.
2. You need *some* angle to it; a pure vertical shield creates more buffeting than blocking (not to mention, goodbye fuel economy).
3. You're not looking to eliminate all the wind, you're looking to eliminate buffeting and booming.
4. Okay, sure, you can get a shield large enough to eliminate all the wind if you so choose-- your ride, not mine-- but then, what's the point of the bike? At that point, might as well just get a convertible :joke:

Anyway, thumbs up for the Madstad. Trial-and-error to find your right spot is a pain in the butt, but once you've got it, it's pretty awesome.

dshogman
07-17-2011, 03:44 PM
Thanks everyone for the good info - I am learning! 2 questions:
1.what are BRP lowers?
2.Someone please explain the Madstad windshield - I need to do a search for it - I take it that it is adjustable but also comes in deifferent sizes.

Colin
07-17-2011, 07:52 PM
To be honest, The BRP shields I believe are not right. Those bumps at the bottom of each side are what gives you the bad air around your helmet, if you are going to change, go for are shield that doesn't have any bumps, just a natural curve. I also believe the bigger the screen the harder the spyder is to control as it seems to put more downforce on the front of the spyder.

Ga Blue Knight
07-18-2011, 05:28 AM
I am 5'3" and use the standard handlebar riser with a 22" sport touring BRP. Am I missing something here? The guy is 5'8" he most likely will need a higher shield. What I don't get is why everyone wants to sit up in the wind?

CJ/johnnyg
07-18-2011, 06:34 AM
Ok My $.02 I'm 5' 4" and I bought the RoboBrakcket system and 20" sheild from Madstad Engineering. the brackets are great because it lets you adjust the windsheild up or down and the angle of it to adjust the air flow. Its like the sheild on the RT's It gets air flow under the sheild but it doesn't bother you and doesn't buck the air. They have different size sheilds for your height. Here is the link if you want to look at them. CJ

http://www.madstad.com/s.nl/sc.7/category.493/.f

dshogman
07-18-2011, 09:09 AM
Thanks for the info on the Madstad brackets - I think that's the way I'm going to go - will wait till the Helibar is installed though.
As to why the upright seating postion - call it bad lower back, bad hips, just stuff like that has made the upright postion on all the bikes I've had much more comfortable. Will probably end up with a backrest and maybe even floorboards at some point also. No sense not being comfortable while riding.

CJ/johnnyg
07-18-2011, 08:19 PM
As far as having lower back pain I understand what you are talking about. When I was in maggie valley I also sat on someone that had a Ultimate Seat with back rest on a RS. It was very comfortable and sat you straight up. I think that is the way I'm gonna go. They are a sponser of spyderlovers. I just have to save up all my pennys because they are not cheap. but I think it will be well worth it. My husband has a corbin seat on his RT and I love how it rides in the passenger seat but I sit to far back in front and I'm not crazy about the back rest. You need to go to some gatherings of spyders and check out the different ones that are out there
Most spyder riders are very nice and will let you sit on their spyders to try them out if you ask them. Just a thought CJ