PDA

View Full Version : Harley Spyder

G-Man
07-15-2011, 09:32 PM
What if Harley Davidson had actually gone into production with these back in '96? Do you think there'd be more HD ryders out there?

From the "Collection X" files. :doorag:

Marker
07-15-2011, 09:53 PM
WOW, G-Man
On the way home from work today I was caught in a detour for an accident and this guy on a Harley :doorag:was in front of me, got me thinking what a spyder would look like and sound with a Harley V-twin transplanted in a spyder . You answered part of my question , now for the sound !!

Harley made a mistake by not going ahead with production of this trike - JMHO:doorag::D

Firefly
07-15-2011, 10:17 PM
"Do you think there'd be more HD ryders out there?"

In a word ---- nope.

AMTJIM
07-15-2011, 11:10 PM
That's the first mach-up of this machine I have seen, only illustrations before. This machine leans I believe.
I like it, maybe some diferent body work for me and undertail exhaust. Definitely some clubman bars and rearsets.

Mo Lee
07-16-2011, 04:33 AM
"Do you think there'd be more HD ryders out there?"

In a word ---- nope.
Good thing they didn't, because if this had became the Spyder I could not be part of this group. Everyone who knows me well, knows it would upset the world balance if I bought a Harley.

Tonga
07-16-2011, 05:39 AM
Just wondering if Honda has any plans on building a Spyder replica? They build everything else !

vtrider
07-16-2011, 08:56 AM
Just wondering if Honda has any plans on building a Spyder replica? They build everything else !

If they did I would surely think about owning one. I've always been a fan of honda. I've owned a few.

3pod
07-16-2011, 09:04 AM
That is an interesting thought. I'm sure you would still have the 2 wheel diehards but a Harley Spyder would out sell their Triglide just with a test ride. Thats where my money would go,

aka1004
07-16-2011, 09:55 AM

I am guessing all 4 Japanese bike manufacturer executives are going "how can we produce something like spyder but but make it look like we didn't just copy them"?

As well as spyder sales is doing and where there is money to be made, they will eventually swallow their pride and r&d to come up with something equivalent or better than spyder. Better, most likely.
All my other bikes been Honda. I would jump on Honda trike(with vfr1200 engine?) if it looks good. I think just goldwing owners with bad or old :D knees that would switch could make it worthwhile for Honda.

At transformer movie event, brp announced 23000 spyder were sold worldwide, 13000 here and 10000 globally. Spyder sales got stronger since than but with conservative estimate they sold another 27000 and total number is 50000. At 25k average since rt outsells rs now, that's 1.25 billion in sales!!! And market is just starting to form.
Why wouldn't Honda or Kawasaki want in?

Bob Denman
07-16-2011, 10:00 AM
Gee... While riding back from the dealer this morning I was thinking about this very thing... Could a Big Twin get transplanted into the Spyder chassis? Cooling ductwork, transmission adaptations, final drive, space for fuel and lube tanks...
I decided that Harley would just have to build their own...
That critter looks promising; I wonder why they killed the project?

Dragonrider
07-16-2011, 10:51 AM
Only if they put the Revolution (V-Rod) motor in it. If Hardly ever makes a touring bike with a decent motor (see above), I would be tempted. I would never buy a bike with motor technology that's older than I am - and that's a bit…..;)

daveinva
07-16-2011, 10:56 AM
Heh, funny this thread should show up now.

This morning I took a nice ride up to Bob's BMW in Maryland. If you've never been, it's a very nice shop, modest but excellent selection of gear, *and* a small little "museum" section that features about a dozen BMW bikes all the way back to the 1920s. Quite nifty.

Reason I bring this up: while looking at all the lovely BMW bikes, I dreamt of what a *BMW* reverse trike could be like. I dig the Taurus concept, but something tells me they could do even better than that if they put some corporate effort into it.

Of course, my daydream was quickly interrupted by the rush of reality: thoughts of just how much a BMW trike would cost. If people think the *Spyder* is pricey... :gaah:

Anyway, I love love love HD, but I will always have a soft spot for a sharp-dressed Bimmer touring bike...

Dochands
07-16-2011, 11:02 AM
I agree with Dragonrider. There may be wrinkles we have had to iron out but the BRP Spyder is technologically superior to almost every Harley ever made. And I think its that technology that makes it so easy and fun to ride for every level of rider.

Dragonrider
07-16-2011, 12:05 PM
My last ride was a 2006 BMW K1200LT. It was a wonderful bike, that gave 52mpg in day to day driving, with tons of farkles (like the RT S SM5). However, if you REALLY want service sticker shock, you should see my service bills! They make the CanAm's pale by comparison…

Problems? Read the BMW forums about the final drive, or that I had three (3) electro/hydraulic center stands replaced under warranty ($1100 ea + labor) - perhaps that's why it's no longer on the new BMWs.

Even with that, if they ever build the Spyder competitor with either the airhead or "K" driveline, I would be a very early adaptor…...

Wheeler~
07-16-2011, 09:38 PM
Very Interesting :thumbup:

Idaspud
07-17-2011, 10:05 AM
I would love it if my Spyder had the HP and Trq my last Harley had and provided the same gas milelge my 103 cu inch Harley produced 105 Hp and 107 trq. and always gave me about 50 MPG surly miss he mileage love my Spyde.:yes:

Ga Blue Knight
07-17-2011, 10:46 AM
Was over at a Harley Davidson open house with my Club Saturday and along with the several hundred HD's were my RS and an RT. Folks were coming over continuously to check out the Can Ams! Inside they had a HD TriGlide trike, 1904 tech with three wheels for only $42,000 that's not including tax, fees and registration. Let's see that almost three RS's or an RT and an an RS.

Bob Denman
07-17-2011, 05:50 PM
That's the price of exclusivity... :roflblack::roflblack: And you were the only two Can Ams in the lot! :2thumbs::yes::firstplace: Who's exclusive NOW??? :ohyea:

ARtraveler
07-17-2011, 07:50 PM
I am thinking that BMW--if they made a trike--would not cost that much more.

The cycle mags have been testing the new BMW 1600 GTL. This is 1600 cc six cylinder engine.

They have all the bells and whistles of a Wing, premium package for $26K and are claiming 50 mpg at 55 mph.

That kind of a package with the necessary goodies to make it a 3 wheeler--I'm guessing $30-32? BUT----I'm just guessing.

Bob Denman
07-18-2011, 07:00 AM
Have you looked at the write-ups of the GG Taurus?? :shocked: I don't think that they were anywhere near that kind of pricing... And BMW itself would probably engineer enough "wonderfulness" into it that we couldn't afford it! :opps:

dancogan
07-18-2011, 07:00 AM
The HD website shows the 2011 TriGlide listing for around $28K and the 2012 listing for about $3K more. That dealer must not be having any trouble moving bikes if his mark-up is that huge!

boborgera
07-18-2011, 07:26 AM
The HD website shows the 2011 TriGlide listing for around $28K and the 2012 listing for about $3K more. That dealer must not be having any trouble moving bikes if his mark-up is that huge!

I've been pricing the TriGlide , Out the door 31/32.

Bob Denman
07-18-2011, 08:18 AM
So the Spyders are about 10% less money with a quantum increase in handling prowess... :shemademe_smilie::shocked:

WackyDan
07-18-2011, 10:26 AM
I am thinking that BMW--if they made a trike--would not cost that much more.

The cycle mags have been testing the new BMW 1600 GTL. This is 1600 cc six cylinder engine.

They have all the bells and whistles of a Wing, premium package for $26K and are claiming 50 mpg at 55 mph.

That kind of a package with the necessary goodies to make it a 3 wheeler--I'm guessing $30-32? BUT----I'm just guessing.

And your mileage would go down the drain with the added weight and dragging of a 3rd wheel.

ARtraveler
07-18-2011, 02:58 PM
Agree, miles per gallon would go down with a 3rd wheel---and--who is going to drive it 55 mph anyway--not me.

And yes--:agree: if they engineered it--they would have enough "wunderbar--fulness" to probably get it up higher than I originally guessed.

Wheeler~
07-18-2011, 03:32 PM
Here it is!

http://thekneeslider.com/archives/2011/06/02/gg-taurus-a-4-cylinder-bmw-reverse-trike-from-gg-technik-of-switzerland/

Bob Denman
07-18-2011, 05:13 PM
Oh; they are prettier than a smiling puppy! :2thumbs:
If you do some googling you can find a couple of videos taken of a Taurus and an RT rding through some spectacular terrain in switzerland... (Sustern Pass???)

Ga Blue Knight
07-22-2011, 04:38 AM

The HD dealer here in town is pretty proud of his products. He has both a military and retired community to market. Most folks who have ridden more than a few months buy their HD's in Columbia South Carolina and save the cost of avarice. In general I have found that folks new to thrikes coming off of HD's don't even shop around or look at other products since all of their friends ride HD's. I speak from experience. I rode Harley's for the last 35 years (with a few BMW and Moto Guzzi's) and went through a lot of good natured grief when I showed up at my Club Meeting on a :spyder2: that was described as a Snow Mobile! Thirty miles later they were all struggling to keep up. Anyway you ride what you got and you ride your own ride!:ohyea: