PDA

View Full Version : RT-622 Key Cylinder

fastfraser
07-15-2011, 08:37 PM
I just picked up a RT-622 trailer and have the key cylinder,but have no idea how to install it ! It looks simple enough but I didn't want to just jam it in and end up with trouble down the road . Any help would be appreciated.

cougar
07-15-2011, 08:47 PM
DO NOT install it with the trunk closed. Leave it open.

MarkLawson
07-15-2011, 09:59 PM
You might think about letting your dealer install it. That way if there's a problem and the lock has to be drilled, they own the problem and the repair. Mine had to replace all 3 locks so they'd still be keyed alike when I had a problem with the trailer lock.

fastfraser
07-16-2011, 06:29 AM
The dealer I bought it from ( only white RT-622 trailer in Ontario ) was the worst dealer I have delt with in 3 years and I will post my buying experance with him latter, so needless to say he won't be installing sh** for me .

Has anyone installed the cylinder lock in their R-622 trailer successfully ? How ?

Thanks for your replies.

Bootie
07-16-2011, 06:58 AM
The dealer I bought it from ( only white RT-622 trailer in Ontario ) was the worst dealer I have delt with in 3 years and I will post my buying experance with him latter, so needless to say he won't be installing sh** for me .

Has anyone installed the cylinder lock in their R-622 trailer successfully ? How ?

Thanks for your replies.I had problems with mine and had to have it drilled out by a locksmith. I ordered a new core from BRP and had the locksmith take the tumblers out of the old lock and install them in the new core. That way I didn't have to replace all 3 keys. Mine still pops out on occasion:cus: but if I remember to pull the key out gently it works ok. I would've thought BRP fixed this problem by now.:dontknow:

l0ckman
07-16-2011, 08:29 AM
I just picked up a RT-622 trailer and have the key cylinder,but have no idea how to install it ! It looks simple enough but I didn't want to just jam it in and end up with trouble down the road . Any help would be appreciated.

fastfraser:

It really is simple, just open the trailer and insert it in and it should just snap in. Just pay attention to the plug there is a stop to control the degree of rotation. If you do not feel comfortable doing this go to your local locksmith he should be able to do this for you. I would not charge you for this but your local one might charge a minimal fee, ask first.

Locks of Luck
Michael

StanProff
07-18-2011, 12:59 PM
I bought the trailer from the dealer and the setup was included. They installed the lock and I drove it home a couple of weeks ago. Actually used the trailer yesterday and the wife and I simply put the helmets in the trailer and i proceeded to lock it before we went into the local Sam's club. You guessed it, the lock came out with the key when I turned it to lock and then atempted to remove the key. (remember the helmets are now locked in the trailer), I called the dealers cell phone, this was on Sunday, and to my surprise he called a locksmith as I was still on the phone with him and the guy showed up in less than 30 minutes. The lock was removed and installed correctly as the locksmith(who worked for the spyder dealer 3 or 4 years before going into his family locksmith business) stated that sometimes the lock barrel gets installed in the wrong position, 180 degrees from what is correct ,i think ,and this enables it to come out of the housing. He said it was an easy mistake to make. Anyway, in 10 minutes he had the trailer open and the lock reinstalled. The dealer is East Tennessee ATV Elizabethton Tenn. This is really good service at no cost to me. Keep the lock lubed with WD and always be easy with it and it should hang in there where it belongs. (although I think I will stop putting the helmets in there just in case);)

Lamonster
07-18-2011, 02:20 PM
I bought the trailer from the dealer and the setup was included. They installed the lock and I drove it home a couple of weeks ago. Actually used the trailer yesterday and the wife and I simply put the helmets in the trailer and i proceeded to lock it before we went into the local Sam's club. You guessed it, the lock came out with the key when I turned it to lock and then atempted to remove the key. (remember the helmets are now locked in the trailer), I called the dealers cell phone, this was on Sunday, and to my surprise he called a locksmith as I was still on the phone with him and the guy showed up in less than 30 minutes. The lock was removed and installed correctly as the locksmith(who worked for the spyder dealer 3 or 4 years before going into his family locksmith business) stated that sometimes the lock barrel gets installed in the wrong position, 180 degrees from what is correct ,i think ,and this enables it to come out of the housing. He said it was an easy mistake to make. Anyway, in 10 minutes he had the trailer open and the lock reinstalled. The dealer is East Tennessee ATV Elizabethton Tenn. This is really good service at no cost to me. Keep the lock lubed with WD and always be easy with it and it should hang in there where it belongs. (although I think I will stop putting the helmets in there just in case);)
And I thought I was the only one that got great service from East TN ATV :D

Glad to hear they took care of you on a Sunday like that. :2thumbs:

Bootie
07-27-2011, 08:12 PM
Well, the lock core on my 622 trailer raised it's ugly head again.:( I am in Hammondsport, NY on my way to SITA. I went to lock my trailer and it locked OK but whren I went to remove the Key, the lock core came part way out and I can't get it to go back in. Now the trailer is locked and I can't unlock it:gaah: It's dark now so I'll fool with it tomorrow. Probably put a Vicegrip on the core and twist it out.:mad:

SpyderAnn01
07-27-2011, 09:04 PM
I was under the impression that the problem is the cylinder is longer than the hole that it goes in. Mine broke twice and this time I had them replace the entire latch assembly. It is too bad that we have to keep our fingers crossed that it will unlock when we need it to. We should be able to lock anything in it including helmets and not have to worry that it will work.

NancysToy
07-27-2011, 09:23 PM
I was under the impression that the problem is the cylinder is longer than the hole that it goes in. Mine broke twice and this time I had them replace the entire latch assembly. It is too bad that we have to keep our fingers crossed that it will unlock when we need it to. We should be able to lock anything in it including helmets and not have to worry that it will work.
Most of these problems are caused by improper installation. BRP issued a service bulletin with a revised procedure.