PDA

View Full Version : Trading In / Upgrading to RS or RT. Your Thoughts?

jimcrom
07-15-2011, 03:37 PM
Currently I have a 2008 yellow SM5 w/Corbin seat, Evo III windshield, seal floorboards, speakers and three inch risers. While I love my spyder, as some of you know I have had some problems with the front sprocket, master cylinder and rebuilding of the engine. So I am thinking of trading it in for a 2011 either RS or the RT.

I don't see anything that jumps out for 2012 so I figure I might get a better deal with the 2011. I really like the touring version but the extra cost has me considering taking my Corbin seat & the floorboards and transferring it to the 2011 RS.

I am tempted to go with the automatic but $1500 makes me think I can live without it. The wife wants the comfort of the Goldwing passenger/backrest system so she is not a fan of the rs foot pegs that make you sit like a frog.

I would like to get some input from those who switched, upgraded or changed. Your opinion...

Y Rider
07-15-2011, 03:43 PM
Sounds like your wife already made the decision for you. :D

xpeschon
07-15-2011, 03:46 PM
Soon (if not already) they will be offering a rebate for the 2011 RT,, If I where you I'd hang out to see what the other incentives look like for the 2011 models.. Could also offer a extra year of BEST.. Who knows...

X-Joe

AndyIsRiding
07-15-2011, 04:22 PM
I'd say go for the 2011 RT, at present you have the option of model and colour.
If you wait for the rebate/clearance sales you may not get what you want.

My wife for years did not want to sit on a bike (she did when we were younger), is making up weekend tours all over the place, for us to go on the RT.

So wait for sale or pick what you want.

My suggestion is to pick a basic RT and add what you need as options instead of an optioned model. We did not need radio intercom etc etc etc, so have a basic model added what we wanted and saved a few $K.

My opinion.

C3517C
07-15-2011, 04:49 PM
I had an RS, drove it for 2 years and moved to a 2011 RT. First off, as far as passenger riding, the RT wins hands down. It has the creature comforts for the passenger that just arent there on the RS. No surprises there. Heres what I like about the RT, just my opinion:
Heated hand grips, effective adjustable windshield, cruise control, more comfortable seating position, and stereo. I can ride the RT for much longer than the RS before fatigue, back and joint pain set in. I adjust the windshield frequently for different riding conditions with a simple push of a button. Don't underestimate this feature. I had 3 different windshields with my RT and you can not get the same effect. This is the first bike I've had with a stereo and I really like it. I don't like to ride with stereo earplugs because I feel it detracts from everything going on around me.

Here's what I liked about the RS : Its fast, nimble and easier to ride around town. I feel it handles better overall. ( Many would disagree) If you live in an area with frequent high winds, like I do, it takes the wind much better. The RT has has a huge amount of surfuce area and can be a real barn door in the wind. And, of course, the RS is probably a little cooler. :doorag:
Also, I would absolutely get the semi auto, worth the $1500.

fastfraser
07-15-2011, 09:10 PM
I had a 2009 RS SE5 with 41,000 kilometers on it and spent a fortune on it trying to turn it into an RT and never came close. So I'm the proud owner off a 2011 RTS Limited with 9,000 kilometers on it . The wife loves it , so I would bite the bullet and get an RT SE from the get go and never look back.

Barbwire
07-15-2011, 09:20 PM
I rode a 2008 RS for about a year and did not like the RT's when they came out because I liked the sporty look of the RS. We decided we were going to do more touring and started looking more at the RT. I bought a 2010 and love it. I am curious about previous GoldWing owners opinion of the RT. We had a GL 1500 and then a GL 1800 and I am skeptical about telling GW owners that they would love the Spyder. I came off of a cruiser so it is a big change for me and I love it.

mvengineer
07-15-2011, 09:32 PM
I am picking up my 2011 RSS Bronze/Black SE5. I am trading my 2009 yellow SE5 with 11,000 miles. I am getting a good trade in value for my yellow spyder. I think it is a great deal since I drove it for 3 seasons and I am out only $3000 for all the wear and tare and lots of fun I had.

Reason I went this way: I love the RSS ride, design and agility and I use it for rides under three hours. This is the bulk of my rides at present. My wife is not a rider and therefore I did not see spending an additional 10,000 for an RT wich provides more amenties for the passanger basically. Sorry I also think it is a little too bulky.

For longer trips, I also have a 2009 HD triglide ultra classic with the stereo, GPS,Cruze control, highway pegs, floor boards,tour pack, etc. I only have 4000 miles on it.

Can't wait for tomorrow morning to get my new baby.

Marker
07-15-2011, 09:40 PM
I started off looking at an RS SE5 and then my wife decided she wanted to ride as passenger , I mean co-pilot and I have neck problems and the RS was uncomfortable for both of us . To make an RS comfortable for both of us is too costly. So the only choice was an RT. We got a great deal on a new 2010 RTS SE5 at the end of 2010 riding season. So if I were you I would buy a 2011 RT S SE5 , You will be glad that you did.

harddrive
07-15-2011, 09:48 PM
I went from a 08 GS SM5 to a 10 RT AC SM5 just before Christmas and got a great deal. We have been loving it every since. I was torn between the HD triglide and the RT, but the HD dealers were really trying to screw me with the trade...some dealers even told me they would not take the GS.

I found the RT and traded the GS because we ride 2 up all the time. The GS was not very comfy for my wife and we debated trying to make the GS more comfy. :shemademe_smilie:

Leslee
07-16-2011, 07:27 AM
I am curious about previous GoldWing owners opinion of the RT. We had a GL 1500 and then a GL 1800 and I am skeptical about telling GW owners that they would love the Spyder.

As Gold Wing riders, I too, am not comfortable telling other Gold Wing riders they will like it as well. However, when the time comes that either driver or passenger feels safer or more able to handle a 3-wheeler, the Spyder is much more appealing to people of all ages. It also allows me to ride with our GW group while my husband rides our Wing.

I'm not at all comfortable driving a 2-wheeler but am enjoying driving our 2011 RT-S SE5. I'm so HAPPY we went with the semi-automatic!

Lamonster
07-16-2011, 07:48 AM
I met a guy at the dealer show that told me about a customer that bought the same RT twice. He bought the RT and drove it for awhile and decided he wanted an RS instead. He spent a bunch of money on the RS trying to make it a RT and then decided to trade it back in on a RT. He got his old RT back. :Dnojoke

In a perfect world you could own both but if you plan on putting some long days on it then the RT is the way to go comfort wise and I would spend the money for the SE trans. That's just me. :doorag:

BajaRon
07-16-2011, 08:50 AM
Sounds like your wife already made the decision for you. :D

:agree:

Don't fight it, you don't have to think too hard on this one my friend. All you have to do now is find out which color she wants and sign on the dotted line. :D

retiredsquid
07-16-2011, 10:17 AM
If Momma ain't happy, nobody guna be happy.

cougar
07-16-2011, 10:28 AM
RT SE5. Ditch the clutch. You will never regret it. JMHO.

Dragonrider
07-16-2011, 10:47 AM
Take a deal on a 2010 or 2011 RT SE5. For just the comfort, take the base RT, if you want the radio/iPod connection, go with the A/C. Spend the money saved on a new Corbin seat and Works shocks…..

NancysToy
07-16-2011, 11:31 AM
Take a deal on a 2010 or 2011 RT SE5. For just the comfort, take the base RT, if you want the radio/iPod connection, go with the A/C. Spend the money saved on a new Corbin seat and Works shocks…..
The base RT is not available in the SE5 version.

BajaRon
07-16-2011, 11:58 AM
The base RT is not available in the SE5 version.

Party Pooper! :D

Questions
07-16-2011, 01:06 PM
We traded our RS for the RT. Love it. We can ride so much more comfortable and can ride farther without breaks.

Bob Denman
07-16-2011, 01:42 PM
If Momma ain't happy, nobody guna be happy.
Ain't that the truth... :gaah: Face it; If you're not listening to what she's saying you're both not gonna be happy... :shocked:

NancysToy
07-16-2011, 03:10 PM
Party Pooper! :D
:D I get that a lot!