PDA

View Full Version : FIRST ride, impressions, issues

dshogman
07-15-2011, 03:26 PM
Just picked it up and rode about 40 miles. Still doing motorcycle things though, like foot down etc. Noticed that the front end is, for want of a better word, squirrley. Is this something I'll get used to?? Comfortable ride (comfort seat), could use lower pegs (hip cramps up) and the seating position is way off.
I ordered the 1" riser but they said to ride it for a while first. Well, I'm leaning so far forward that I'm resting on my wrists and these 72+ year old wrists are not for leaning. Right hand fingers going to sleep and head cocked back so far it's painful at base of neck.
Sat upright a few minutes ago and measured from the curl of my hand down to the center of the grips and it was about 3". They had said there wasn't a factory 3" riser but I thought i saw some talk of one here. Anybody help me on that? This is real important - I need to sit upright to be comfortable so I'll do some more research on this website this afternoon.
In the meantime, has anyone heard of a factory 3" riser - I just spoke with the dealer and they said they couldn't find a Can-Am one.
Appreciate everyone's help to this noobie.

boborgera
07-15-2011, 03:54 PM
[QUOTE=dshogman;350370]Just picked it up and rode about 40 miles. Still doing motorcycle things though, like foot down etc. Noticed that the front end is, for want of a better word, squirrley. Is this something I'll get used to?? Comfortable ride (comfort seat), could use lower pegs (hip cramps up) and the seating position is way off.
I ordered the 1" riser but they said to ride it for a while first. Well, I'm leaning so far forward that I'm resting on my wrists and these 72+ year old wrists are not for leaning. Right hand fingers going to sleep and head cocked back so far it's painful at base of neck.
Sat upright a few minutes ago and measured from the curl of my hand down to the center of the grips and it was about 3". They had said there wasn't a factory 3" riser but I thought i saw some talk of one here. Anybody help me on that? This is real important - I need to sit upright to be comfortable so I'll do some more research on this website this afternoon.

:congrats:
Forget the BRP1'' Get the 4''from esi a sponsor of Spyderlovers.
That will solve most leaning and wist and neck problems.:thumbup:
The Squirrely feeling might be that your holding on to the grips too hard relax your grip and that feeling will go away.

stevedfive
07-15-2011, 04:00 PM
RT or RS? They don't make risers for the RT. Increase the tire pressure in the front to 18-20 lbs. There are plenty of vendors on this forum that sell all kinds of foot rests.

BikerDoc
07-15-2011, 04:01 PM
From personal experience and from watching thousands of posts, I have to say it seems like 9 out of every 10 folks oversteer, overgrip, over control the Spyder at first and get that "famous" squirrelly feeling. Once they relax and go with the flow the feeling is replaced by a sense of exhilaration and soaring...

Also have seen several folks go with that after market 4 inch riser and become very happy with it.. 1 inch isn't nearly enough to solve your leaning issue:welcome: have a safe ride

dshogman
07-15-2011, 06:43 PM
Thanks for the steering info. As to the bars, Helibars on order as I write. Will have to figure out how to post a picture - oh well, it's a yellow RS with bags.
Fun thing - when I signed on the July 2nd, I ordered 2 Nelson RIgg covers online, a half and a full. Both fit great. Half cover's a piece of cake to get back in the bag. The full cover on the other hand was never meant to go back into the bag!!! Impossible.....:yikes:

Questions
07-15-2011, 07:24 PM
I also experienced the squirrelly feeling when we first purchased our Spyder. As mentioned above, you will get used to driving the Spyder and that feeling will soon be gone and you will be much smoother.....

johnnyg
07-15-2011, 08:18 PM
First of all my better half and I our reading this thread together so its on my name but its her telling you what she thinks. Ok I'm.(CJ/johnnyg) When I first got my RS (I'm a new rider) I could only ride about 20 miles before my wrist started to hurt along with my back from leaning and it was also squirrelly to me too. Until johnnyg put my 4" risers on, and set my front tires at 20 psi, rear tire 25 psi and adjusted the shock up 1 notch. This made a world of difference on how it rode and handled. I'm 5' 4" and weigh XXX ( don't ask:roflblack:) He tried to put it up another notch because he liked the way it rode that way, but I didn't so he put it back down one. ALL I'm saying is you need to adjust it the way you like it. By trial and error. We have a RT also, John has set the front tires at 25 psi and rear at 25 psi, and the shocks are maxed out. He is 6' 2" and weighs 249 ( I can tell you his:roflblack:). So it does matter how you adjust them. If you get the 4" risers you might want to order the mirror extension also. I put them on mine and I am not looking at my hands any more it's a great safety point too. WE wish you the best and:congrats: Remember There is never a dumb question on spyderlovers. Some one will have an answer for you. CJ/ JC

dshogman
07-15-2011, 08:28 PM
Thanks for the info. I'll have to see if I need the mirror extensions with the Helibar installed. Who supplies the extensions and can they be used with the Ultra Touring windshield??