PDA

View Full Version : Who is BRP?

BajaRon
07-14-2011, 10:15 PM
Lamont got in today from the BRP dealer’s show in Canada. Picked him up at the airport and he was really tired but he was fired up too.

Not much REALLY impresses Lamont, if you understand my meaning. Believe me, I know. I’ve been trying to impress him since the early 80’s! We won’t go there now.

Anyway, he was really excited about BRP, Can-Am and especially the Spyder. Not that he hasn’t been all along, but I’ve not seen him this fired up for awhile. He’s a pretty level operating kind of guy.

I’ve had some pretty close contact with BRP from the top down. Just because I hang with Lamont, not because of anything I do. And I wish every Spyder owner could meet and interact with BRP management, Tech’s, and customer service personnel like I have had the opportunity to do. This experience is why I have some understanding of why Lamont is so impressed.

We continually hear things like; “What is BRP doing, What are they thinking, Does BRP really care about the customer and their problems?”. Like BRP is this nebulous entity like the BORG or something. The truth is, BRP is an extremely dedicated, tightly knit group of people with a vision, a dream, a purpose, and they have joined together to implement their vision, to make the dream a reality.

Their imagination has become our steel and aluminum stallion which we ride on every road in America, Canada, Australia and who knows were. Their hard work and determination has become our vehicle for friendship, brotherhood and camaraderie with people all over the globe.

So, WHO IS BRP? The answer is, they are people just like you and I, committed personally and corporately to this machine we call the Spyder. They hurt when we hurt, they revel when we revel, they enjoy when we enjoy. And they love the Spyder that we love. They just aren’t in a position to bare their souls here on this forum as you and I are able to do.

When you spend time with BRP people you cannot miss their passion, and I mean genuine passion for their product. I can say, without a doubt, that I have found this in every BRP person I’ve ever spent any time with, whether it be riding with them, having a meal or just sitting and talking. And they ride this machine, a lot... Do you know how rare this is in a corporate structure?

I know nothing is perfect. I'm sure BRP personnel have their issues. But I am saying that we've got one of the best teams in the world backing us up. Though some things will fall through the cracks, they are trying, and I think they are trying very hard.

Get some rest Lamont, then tell us all about your trip to Canada.

YPILOT
07-14-2011, 10:28 PM
Thanks Ron for the thoughts about BRP. If it weren't for their passion we wouldn't be ryding Spyders. Thanks BRP for helping us enjoy our quest for fun. This machine has been a game changer for many people and many more to come.:firstplace:

Big Arm
07-14-2011, 10:39 PM
Nice write-up Ron :2thumbs: T H A N K S

stutzmason
07-14-2011, 10:40 PM
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

jvicker
07-14-2011, 10:45 PM
So, WHO IS BRP? The answer is, they are people just like you and I, committed personally and corporately to this machine we call the Spyder. They hurt when we hurt, they revel when we revel, they enjoy when we enjoy. And they love the Spyder that we love.

When you spend time with BRP people you cannot miss their passion, and I mean genuine passion for their product. I can say, without a doubt, that I have found this in every BRP person I’ve ever spent any time with, whether it be riding with them, having a meal or just sitting and talking. And they ride this machine, a lot... Do you know how rare this is in a corporate structure?

And I hope they stay that way:2thumbs: I use to work for JanSport back when it had a "family feel". Warehouse grunts elbow to elbow with VP's hanging at happy hour. Didn't last. Hope this does.:firstplace:

RoadHammer
07-14-2011, 10:51 PM
I believe what you say about yourself and Lamont,
but as for BRP they don't have a frigin clue. They have hit an absolute home run with the spyder, but unfortunately they have been caught with their balls hanging out of their shorts and now they look like a deer in the headlights.. They have no clue...what to do...

Arthur---Mexico
07-14-2011, 11:01 PM
To me is seems that you and Lamont receive some benefit from the BRP for the posts both of you make praising Spyders. I have been driving my own cars from when I was 16 years old and I am now 86. Not once did I ever find in one of my cars or the vehicles I would buy for our business the magnitude of problems that I have had or about those that are written to this page by other Spyder owners. I can't understand why so many anonymous messages with nickname signatures are allowed/printed like this one I am answering. I sign my complaints and thoughts. I'm not ashamed of them. If any known vehicle manufacturer received the percentage of complaints that Spyder owners have against the Spyder manufacturer, that are not corrected by the manufacturer, I'm sure that company would have to close down. And that's where the Can Am Spyder line is headed. Signed: Arthur S. Cohen, Ibsen 72, Mexico City, Mexico 11560

RoadHammer
07-14-2011, 11:09 PM
To me is seems that you and Lamont receive some benefit from the BRP for the posts both of you make praising Spyders. I have been driving my own cars from when I was 16 years old and I am now 86. Not once did I ever find in one of my cars or the vehicles I would buy for our business the magnitude of problems that I have had or about those that are written to this page by other Spyder owners. I can't understand why so many anonymous messages with nickname signatures are allowed/printed like this one I am answering. I sign my complaints and thoughts. I'm not ashamed of them. If any known vehicle manufacturer received the percentage of complaints that Spyder owners have against the Spyder manufacturer, that are not corrected by the manufacturer, I'm sure that company would have to close down. And that's where the Can Am Spyder line is headed. Signed: Arthur S. Cohen, Ibsen 72, Mexico City, Mexico 11560
Very well spoken, you deserve a 100 lot of silver libertad's for you perfect statement:thumbup:

Phil
07-14-2011, 11:34 PM
Ron- I'm hijacking the thread....

Arthur- I own a 2009 Hyundai Genesis. First edition of a luxury car for Hyundai. Check GenesisOwners.com to validate what I'm about to say.... Since 2009 there have been SO MANY complaints about the car, dealers and Hundai. I dare say more than i've seen here about BRP. I've had my share of new edition issues and stupidity from Hundai. But it still got 2009 car of the year. And I still love my Genesis. My point is I'm seeing potential when you see 'close the doors because they're idiots'.

When I have an employee that s screws up and costs me money ( one guy cost me $100k). People ask if I'm going to fire the guy. Hell NO!! that's one less mistake he'll make in the future. I've just invested in that guy and I'm not going to trash that investment.

I'll say this.... I believe Ron and Lamont. I CHOOSE to believe them because I see that they are trying to help US, not by masking anything, but by offering suggestions and help to ALL of us, members and BRP alike.

I have no idea if Lamont has income from BRP. I don't care! BECAUSE I've met him and see his character and his heart. He also doesn't hold back his opinion, good or bad. I'm 100% positive that he has also given BRP more than one earful. And his motivation?.... To make the product better, make the dealer chain better, give ALL OF US better rides.
Phil Burks
Tyler Texas

Sent from my iPhone7 using Tapatalk

Saluda
07-15-2011, 04:58 AM
Arthur, signed or not I can't agree with anything you said. Love our Spyder and appreciate what they do and how they attempt to remedy what is wrong.
Perfect ? No, what or who is. Does the Co. have things to learn when it comes to customer service ? Absolutely. Hope to see things continue to improve.
We've been very happy with how our Spyder has perfomed and have had no real issues. Our dealer is great. Do feel bad for those that have had issues or delays in repair.
Mike

3pod
07-15-2011, 06:06 AM
Nicely put and my sentiments exactly. Only had my Spyder a few weeks so am still getting acclimated to it. But I can assure you it is FUN-FUN-FUN to drive. Problems Hell Yes. Just litle nagging things but quickly corrected by my dealer. I only hope BRP takes heed of suggestions and complaints.

Lamont recently listed improvements people have hoped to happen and I'm sure as time goes on that will happen. As the saying goes "patience is a virtue" so wait and see.\

Do I miss my Harley of course. But stability on tired legs more than makes up for it. I'm still able to ryde safely and enjoy the fresh air.

GloryRyders
07-15-2011, 06:20 AM
Just my opinion..........I think that the reason many of us have a better experience that others is because we have a GREAT DEALER between us and BRP. Mine does a lot to keep me happy all the time!:2thumbs:

Bob Denman
07-15-2011, 06:38 AM
Well I believe both Ron and Lamont... :2thumbs: Sometimes it takes a while for all of the pieces of the puzzle to fall into place, and I think that they'll stay with it until it's all there... :thumbup:

fastfraser
07-15-2011, 06:54 AM
Thanks Ron for the thoughts about BRP. If it weren't for their passion we wouldn't be ryding Spyders. Thanks BRP for helping us enjoy our quest for fun. This machine has been a game changer for many people and many more to come.:firstplace:

:agree: Well said.

groundeffect
07-15-2011, 07:00 AM
Lamont got in today from the BRP dealer’s show in Canada. Picked him up at the airport and he was really tired but he was fired up too.

Not much REALLY impresses Lamont, if you understand my meaning. Believe me, I know. I’ve been trying to impress him since the early 80’s! We won’t go there now.

Anyway, he was really excited about BRP, Can-Am and especially the Spyder. Not that he hasn’t been all along, but I’ve not seen him this fired up for awhile. He’s a pretty level operating kind of guy.

I’ve had some pretty close contact with BRP from the top down. Just because I hang with Lamont, not because of anything I do. And I wish every Spyder owner could meet and interact with BRP management, Tech’s, and customer service personnel like I have had the opportunity to do. This experience is why I have some understanding of why Lamont is so impressed.

We continually hear things like; “What is BRP doing, What are they thinking, Does BRP really care about the customer and their problems?”. Like BRP is this nebulous entity like the BORG or something. The truth is, BRP is an extremely dedicated, tightly knit group of people with a vision, a dream, a purpose, and they have joined together to implement their vision, to make the dream a reality.

Their imagination has become our steel and aluminum stallion which we ride on every road in America, Canada, Australia and who knows were. Their hard work and determination has become our vehicle for friendship, brotherhood and camaraderie with people all over the globe.

So, WHO IS BRP? The answer is, they are people just like you and I, committed personally and corporately to this machine we call the Spyder. They hurt when we hurt, they revel when we revel, they enjoy when we enjoy. And they love the Spyder that we love. They just aren’t in a position to bare their souls here on this forum as you and I are able to do.

I know nothing is perfect. I'm sure BRP personnel have their issues. But I am saying that we've got one of the best teams in the world backing us up. Though some things will fall through the cracks, they are trying, and I think they are trying very hard.

Well said, Ron!!! :thumbup::thumbup:

I have also personally had the opportunity to meet some of the great BRP folks in Valcourt, Magog and Sheerbrooke in 2010. Just fantastic folks, great work ethic and a great sense of passion of what they do. Amazing time at SpyderFest 2010 setting the record last year and meeting and Spyder Ryding with the BRP folks, including Danny, Carlo, Chaz, Mark and more. Keep up the great work BRP guys/gals. Wish I could have been at the recent festival in Montreal.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
Cheers and all the best from Newfoundland!!!
Dean

packbuckbrew
07-15-2011, 07:17 AM
Thanks for your thoughts on BRP, I for one, am very happy with my dealer and BRP. Has my ryde been perfect, No. Got stranded with a bad solenoid last year, but it got fixed in a reasonable time, and life goes on. I can certainly understand that people have had problems with their spyders and that their are dealers out there that are far less than perfect, but some of the complaining seems to me to be over the top. If you have major mechanical issues and want to b--ch about BRP, that's cool, I get it, but someone the other day on this forum went on a two paragraph rant because their Spyder squeaked when he backed up! Good god, really, is it that big a deal? Squeaking? Get some ear plugs. I'm just saying that some people have legitimate complaints about bad service and product quality, but many have totally unrealistic expectations. I can tell you from a snowmobiling background, any new first run models are usually problem filled, but for some of us, that is half the fun.
Anyway, thanks BRP for this great imperfect three legged freak you call the spyder, I for one am a fan.:2thumbs:

Bob Denman
07-15-2011, 07:28 AM
I can tell you from a snowmobiling background, any new first run models are usually problem filled, but for some of us, that is half the fun.
Since you're coming from a sledding perspective you already know how well BRP can build Ski Doos.. :clap:There's no doubt that improvements will be made... :D

(and I rode Polaris!):opps:

3pod
07-15-2011, 07:30 AM
Just my opinion..........I think that the reason many of us have a better experience that others is because we have a GREAT DEALER between us and BRP. Mine does a lot to keep me happy all the time!:2thumbs:

I agree 100% that a good pleasing dealer for his customers makes the world of difference. In reading a lot of comments IE: 2-3 trips for same problems until I changed dealers kind of bears this out. My question is that those kinds of dealers are inept or just don't give a damn?

mxz600
07-15-2011, 08:14 AM
I agree with Ron but then I have been a fan of BRP (Bombardier) for years. My first ski-doo I bought in 1969.

I believe that through the years BRP has been a leader in the powersport industry. People have their brand loyalty and not everyone rides a BRP product. But whatever sled, 4 wheeler or personal watercraft you ride, BRP innovation led to improvements in those other products you ride, especially the snowmobile.

People complain about the issues the Spyder has. They make comments like... If Honda or BMW or insert your favorite manufacturer here, had come out with a product like the Spyder there wouldn't be these problems. Well guess what? THEY DIDN'T!! They didn't have the balls, vision or the engineering to pull it off. And if another company had come up with this idea first, don't kid yourself, they would be having problems also. In the early years of the snowmobile (yea I was there for that), you would ride them for two days and work on them for three.

On the negative side is the concern over the dealer network. There needs to be a lot of improvement here. These issues in my opinion would probably not exist if we were dealing with Honda, Harley or BMW. Six to eight or more weeks to fix a problem is unacceptable. I am lucky I have a good dealer. If it took that long to fix one of my sleds the winter would pretty much be over.

Thank you BRP for the Spyder. Except for the snowmobile, this is the most enjoyment I have had on anything with a gasoline engine.

memphisdan
07-15-2011, 08:22 AM
I now have 18,000 fun truble free miles on my RT. I have taken trips, met people, and seen sights that I would never have seen. I use the Spyder for everything from running errands to a 6000 mile cross county trip. The key to me is having a good dealer who will work with you. This is not close to my most troublesome vehicle, my problem vehicle was a 2005 VW, when the problems finally got to me I traded it. If the Spyder ever got to the point that the problems became even a minor focus of my life it would be gone, life is to short. Next trip is Yellowstone in September.:2thumbs::2thumbs:

Dan

daveinva
07-15-2011, 08:26 AM
Perhaps because I haven't had any problems with BRP, I don't have an opinion about them. I'm certain they're great people passionate about their work. I certainly love their Spyder!

Alas, the "rubber meets the road" in the dealer network, which has been demonstrably hit-or-miss since the beginning. But even there, I can't blame BRP all that much.

Think about it from the car owner's perspective: how many car dealers and service centers, irrespective of the major automaker brand they're associated with, try to rip off their customers, swindle them, even outright lie to them? Perhaps I'm too cynical, but in a cuthroat business, I would not be shocked if the simple majority of car dealers have their fair share of shady employees and practices. Certainly, my anecodotal experience has shown that.

Well, motorcycle & pleasurecraft dealers are not immune to the same pressures. For every great dealer, you've got your bad one. For every great salesperson, you find a sloppy one. For every awesome tech, you find one who slept through their class and just wants to earn their paycheck. It's human nature, whether we're talking Honda, Harley, or BRP.

Of course, that doesn't let BRP off the hook from "minding their store," as it were. And we owners have to hold their feet to the fire to always improve their product and service.

Most of all, BRP needs a *larger and deeper* dealer network, with more training *and* more local competition. But that will take time.

Okay, one more thing: IMPROVE THE PARTS DISTRIBUTION NETWORK PLEASE. That's important, guys. A month in the shop is unacceptable.

Bottom line: little else turns me off as fast on a forum than hyperbolic, one-size-fits-all statements about dealers and service. Yes, there are some dealers out there who are 100% rotten to the very core. Then there are dealers that simply have an off day, and you just pulled the short end of the stick. Sadly, it happens, and I for one can't always bring myself to "blame Canada" :joke:

SpyderAnn01
07-15-2011, 09:09 AM
How many of you former Honda or Harley riders or car owners can say that you have met the head of their Customer Service Department or shaken hands with the companies Head Technical Service guy? Or talked to the company CEO about riding in the rain? I doubt any of you can but I have talked to each of these folks from BRP and I know that a lot of you have too.

Has there been issues with the Spyders well yes of course there has. The difference is that Harley and the others have been making motorcycles since Jesus was a baby and they have had many years to work out their dealer and product issues. The Spyder is still an infant give them some time to work out the kinks.

docdoru
07-15-2011, 09:37 AM
The Spyder is still an infant give them some time to work out the kinks.
Are WE part of the infant education? :popcorn:

Heliplt
07-15-2011, 09:43 AM
That’s great about BRP, I wish they could transfer there enthusiasm, passion and customer service to the dealerships working on them. When the middle man (dealership)sucks it doesn’t do me any good since I don’t deal with BRP directly

Dochands
07-15-2011, 09:49 AM
Joseph Armand Bombadier was a businessman from another generation and a French Canadian. Canadian's in my experience are very different folk from us. They are generally a bit kinder and gentler and still take pride in what they do. Plus his company was a family business from the beginning.

I say this only because my only concern with this fine toy, and its been proven now by experience, is the shoddy network of dealers that has represented it.

I am sure the folk at corporate are wonderful and courteous. No doubt at all. But its the dealer and service network that needs the attention and that is almost impossible to control until there are dedicated dealers like for Harley and other major bikes. I am sure I am not the only one who bought my Spyder from a Honda dealer.

And also I am not sure why we need to feel good about the company. If you go to the Jaguar factory or the Harley factory or the BMW factory you will find excited motivated people. And if they give you the grand tour and wine and dine you it's even more exciting. There is really no relationship between that and the quality and service of a product in the field.

What I want to see is the Fab Five begin to complain about service because they get the same service quality a lot of us do. :roflblack:

boborgera
07-15-2011, 09:59 AM
How many of you former Honda or Harley riders or car owners can say that you have met the head of their Customer Service Department or shaken hands with the companies Head Technical Service guy? Or talked to the company CEO about riding in the rain? I doubt any of you can but I have talked to each of these folks from BRP and I know that a lot of you have too.

Has there been issues with the Spyders well yes of course there has. The difference is that Harley and the others have been making motorcycles since Jesus was a baby and they have had many years to work out their dealer and product issues. The Spyder is still an infant give them some time to work out the kinks.

:dontknow:
Wtih all the Honda's,Yamaha's,Suzuki's,Kawasaki's, I've owned over the years I never had a reason to shake hands, or talk to any of them.
That's like the only time i want to shake hands with my Doctor, Is if i had something wrong going on with me.:D

boborgera
07-15-2011, 10:19 AM

What I want to see is the Fab Five begin to complain about service because they get the same service quality a lot of us do. :roflblack:

You know if any of the Fab Five + Has a problem, Even if they bring it in to be fixed with out telling the dealer who they are, [That will never happen] The VIN # will tell the dealer who they are, :ohyea:

Badasz
07-15-2011, 10:59 AM

:agree:The Spyder is an awesome machine with superstar status Im sure in time the bugs will be worked out with the help of BRP and the input and knowledge of the members of this forum

JimAlpha
07-15-2011, 11:07 AM

Arthur- I own a 2009 Hyundai Genesis. First edition of a luxury car for Hyundai. Check GenesisOwners.com to validate what I'm about to say.... Since 2009 there have been SO MANY complaints about the car, dealers and Hundai. I dare say more than i've seen here about BRP. I've had my share of new edition issues and stupidity from Hundai. But it still got 2009 car of the year. And I still love my Genesis. My point is I'm seeing potential when you see 'close the doors because they're idiots'.

When I have an employee that s screws up and costs me money ( one guy cost me $100k). People ask if I'm going to fire the guy. Hell NO!! that's one less mistake he'll make in the future. I've just invested in that guy and I'm not going to trash that investment.

I'll say this.... I believe Ron and Lamont. I CHOOSE to believe them because I see that they are trying to help US, not by masking anything, but by offering suggestions and help to ALL of us, members and BRP alike.

I have no idea if Lamont has income from BRP. I don't care! BECAUSE I've met him and see his character and his heart. He also doesn't hold back his opinion, good or bad. I'm 100% positive that he has also given BRP more than one earful. And his motivation?.... To make the product better, make the dealer chain better, give ALL OF US better rides.
Phil Burks
Tyler Texas

:agree:

BajaRon
07-15-2011, 11:17 AM

First of all, I am very sorry for the problems you've had with your Spyder and your dealer. Lamont and I talk about this kind of thing almost every time we get together.

I am not here to speak for Lamont, he can certainly do that. But I can tell you he is concerned with every Spyder owner who has experienced issues that don't get resolved in a timely manner. And so is BRP.

Lamont works tirelessly, in front of and behind the scenes to help whenever he can. He will never tell you that, and you don't have to believe me, but I know many of you understand this.

I understand the questioning of my motives on this one. I would probably do the same with someone I didn't know. Maybe I am too positive.... I don't think so but isn't that what a forum like this is for? Different opinions?

Would it be safe to say some are too negative?

Yet this is the right place to come with a complaint. I don't have a problem with that. Some complaints get ragged on so I suppose it's fair that I get some ragging for a positive post. I just thought we could use a little bit of genuine upside.

I don't really feel 'Anonymous' here but I realize that there are new people joining SpyderLovers every day and really, I'm just another poster in any case.

I don't know that giving you my home address will afford me any additional credibility. You can look at my Profile, but you're right, anyone can say anything and there really isn't any way to verify it, including people who say they are having problems with their Spyder, their dealer sucks, BRP sucks, etc.

You are right again when you say "seems that you and Lamont receive some benefit from the BRP". I consider the Spyder I ride (which I paid full price for) and the RS that Lamont paid full price for, to be benefits from BRP. But I understand that this is not what you are talking about.

One of the things BRP appreciates about Lamont is that he tells them what he thinks, not necessarily what they want to hear. That combined with the fact that Lamont has been right much more often than not has helped build the relationship.

BRP is smart enough and humble enough to realize that they are not always right, that comsumers are a valuable resource, and that making changes based on outside input is a healty way to run a business. Again, EXTREMELY Rare traits for a large company.

Though I consider myself extremely fortunate to have ridden, shaken hands and been able to spend some great, quality time with BRP personnel, this is not something exclusive to me. Many here have had the same incredible opportunity to rub shoulders with BRP people at every level all the way to the top. Try that with Honda, Harley, or any other manufacturer!

My words are my own as are my thoughts. I receive nothing from BRP for anything I do, here or otherwise, (though I'm not at all opposed to the idea... Hope BRP reads this line! :D).

But seriously, BRP is extremely interested in correcting all of the issues that are discussed here. It won't happen fast enough for some of us, and truthfully, it won't happen fast enough for BRP either. The point is, it is happening.

Granted, if everyone had the issues that you describe I suppose BRP might stop producing the Spyder. But the company isn't going away any time soon. They make an astounding number and variation of products from watercraft to aircraft. If the Spyder failed (and believe me, it will not) I'm not sure how much it would impact BRP. But it would certainly impact all the thousands of extremely happy Spyder owners, don't you think?

Your experience is not nearly as widespread as it may seem here in a forum environment. And it is getting more rare every day. BRP is working very hard and many of us here on SpyderLovers are contributing to the solution every day.

I understand the complaining when problems arise, I have complained too! But to stop there is to miss out on the incredible experience that our Spyders offer.

If we continue to do our job at this end, and BRP continues to do their job at their end, we can all take credit for making the Spyder all it can be.

Bill Las Vegas
07-15-2011, 11:26 AM
Next time either of you talks to a BRP rep, please suggest to them that they start installing a hand brake lever on the right handlebar--just like on two wheeled bikes.

arntufun
07-15-2011, 11:37 AM
Thanks for your thoughts on BRP, I for one, am very happy with my dealer and BRP. Has my ryde been perfect, No. Got stranded with a bad solenoid last year, but it got fixed in a reasonable time, and life goes on. I can certainly understand that people have had problems with their spyders and that their are dealers out there that are far less than perfect, but some of the complaining seems to me to be over the top. If you have major mechanical issues and want to b--ch about BRP, that's cool, I get it, but someone the other day on this forum went on a two paragraph rant because their Spyder squeaked when he backed up! Good god, really, is it that big a deal? Squeaking? Get some ear plugs. I'm just saying that some people have legitimate complaints about bad service and product quality, but many have totally unrealistic expectations. I can tell you from a snowmobiling background, any new first run models are usually problem filled, but for some of us, that is half the fun.
Anyway, thanks BRP for this great imperfect three legged freak you call the spyder, I for one am a fan.:2thumbs:

Although I was not the original poster of what you mentioned above, you probably should watch this video below before you make a statement like you just did. I've heard this plenty of times on many different Spyders even the newer ones. Do you really think this is a unrealistic expectation to design somthing that wouldn't do this ???

And what I really don't get about your post is, your saying half the fun is having your machine back at the shop several times to get the bugs out of the first run models ??? :dontknow::dontknow: Don't take this the wrong way, but IMO I truely think you are the only one on the planet that would think it's fun to take your machine back to the shop for repairs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFdOKWd9bkM&feature=player_detailpage

BajaRon
07-15-2011, 11:48 AM
Next time either of you talks to a BRP rep, please suggest to them that they start installing a hand brake lever on the right handlebar--just like on two wheeled bikes.

It has been suggested, requested, begged for and asked, but I don't think you're going to see it. I hope I'm wrong because I've been one of the requesters.

My feeling is there is more to it than just the hardware. My suspicion is the absence of a hand brake is one of the things that separates our Spyder from being a 'Motorcycle' and has something to do with DOT requirements. In other words, if here were a handbrake the Spyder would have to meet additional DOT requirements (maybe restrictions, maybe expensive, unnecessary changes?).

No one has ever confirmed this and I don't expect that we will know the real reason. Just my guess.

The other logical answer is (and the one you'll get from BRP) that you don't need it. Which is true in the purest sense. But also misses the point that it is very handy (use mine all the time) and helps to retain a persons 2 wheeled front brake skills.

But many riders have never had 2 wheels or a front brake and for them it would be a waste. And, of course, it would be an added expense.

I would like to see BRP offer the front brake as an option, at a reasonable price, of course, for the many of us who would like one.

Mowerman
07-15-2011, 12:00 PM

Phil Burks
Tyler Texas

:agree: Couldn't of said it better.

ARtraveler
07-15-2011, 12:02 PM
Interesting thread in reply to a previous one.

:agree: with most of what is being said by both sides--these are all mostly valid points.

I totally agree with the point that the important part is that the dealer is the main point between the customer and BRP.

There are a lot of dealers out there that do not service the Spyder well. This is a tech issue that BRP needs to solve.

There are customers out there who have legitimate and serious issues. Customers with problems or dealer issues should be able to get answers on a timely basis. BRP needs to look at this and solve it.

Customers should not have to take their Spyder in several times to get the same problem fixed.

Customers should not have to wait weeks and months to get issues solved. Here we get to ride 6 months out of the year if we are lucky--I don't want my Spyder being fixed for 3 of those months.

I am not going to criticize BajaRon or Lamont--they have done a lot for Spyderdom.

As I mentioned in a previous thread--Lets wait and see--what gets improved in customer service and how the dealer network works out for servicing these high tech vehicles.

IMO: A lot of us are throwing the ball back to BRP--they have a small window of opportunity to shine at this point. Right now--they have the monopoly on reverse trikes. They have an opportunity to totally capture the market by having a machine that excels, and a dealer service network--bar none.

Mention has been made about other reverse trikes by well known companies. I am guessing that a lot of people would jump on a first issue machine by other well known brands.

I love my current Spyder. I have only had small issues with it. I have a wonderful dealer that cares about customer service.

I have owned 3 Spyders with 60,000 miles total on the three, and have spent $80,000 plus on the vehicles and accessories (not even taking into account the money for servicing these machines since 2008). I did not purchase 2011 and will not purchase 2012. I am waiting to see how things work out.

mxz600
07-15-2011, 12:30 PM
Although I was not the original poster of what you mentioned above, you probably should watch this video below before you make a statement like you just did. I've heard this plenty of times on many different Spyders even the newer ones. Do you really think this is a unrealistic expectation to design somthing that wouldn't do this ???

And what I really don't get about your post is your saying half the fun is having your machine back at the shop several times to get the bugs out of the first run models ??? :dontknow::dontknow: Don't take this the wrong way, but IMO I truely think you are the only one on the planet that would think it's fun to take your machine back to the shop for repairs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFdOKWd9bkM&feature=player_detailpage

That is what is known as a back up alarm. :joke:

Seriously though mine only does that when I push it backwards, not while I'm on it backing up. Odd.

Sometimes it will make a lesser noise while backing up and if I supply light brake pressure it stops.

mxz600
07-15-2011, 12:48 PM
I don't really feel 'Anonymous' here but I realize that there are new people joining SpyderLovers every day and really, I'm just another poster in any case.
Your anonymous to me. I haven't had the pleasure of meeting you yet. You were going to come to Michigan 2 years ago and meet up with us at Scotty's. Your avatar says "Always late but worth the wait" I'm still waiting. Maybe we'll hook up at the "3 Great Lakes in 3 Great Days". If not I will make Lamonts BBQ one of these years.

Granted, if everyone had the issues that you describe I suppose BRP might stop producing the Spyder. But the company isn't going away any time soon. They make an astounding number and variation of products from watercraft to aircraft. If the Spyder failed (and believe me, it will not) I'm not sure how much it would impact BRP.
Sorry Ron, technically BRP doesn't make aircraft. Bombardier made a split a few years back and BRP makes recreational products and Bombardier builds the planes and trains.

Marker
07-15-2011, 01:46 PM

Very well said Ron :thumbup:

I agree also that your dealer makes all the difference in the world . I cannot say enough how well my dealer looks after me. All of his techs are more than qualified to fix :f_spider: problems. Team Vincent Motorsports is a platinum designated full line BRP product dealership. The dealership is always busy with people buying things and picking up and dropping off their toys, to me thgis is a good sign :2thumbs:

Phil
07-15-2011, 01:58 PM
I for one am HAPPY... no MORE THAN HAPPY to find a way to help BRP lick this dealer thing. I agree that the dealer chain needs to be improved. I KNOW that is in the works, because the owner of our local BRP dealership was in Montreal with the rest of the gang recently.

We saw this with the release of the Genesis. Prior to the Genesis the Hyundai dealers sold 'throw away cars' and did not have the high touch that comes with Lexus, BMW, etc. In the early days they had not been educated (enough) and many of us were treated like we owned just another throw away car. BAD form on their part. They realized this after many complaints and have taken lots of steps to fix the issue. Now that the EQUUIS is out... it's even more important!!

BIKEMIKE
07-15-2011, 02:24 PM
I will make this short, I have been riding for more than 35 years have done all the work to all my machines ( bikes and cars ) I have done everything from tune ups to complete rebuilds. From all the reading I have done on this site I do beleive there are not enough service centers for the spyder.
I would love to go the there school and be a service tech where I live. why do you have to sell them to be able to service them for the company.
Just my thought.

mxz600
07-15-2011, 03:08 PM
I will make this short, I have been riding for more than 35 years have done all the work to all my machines ( bikes and cars ) I have done everything from tune ups to complete rebuilds. From all the reading I have done on this site I do beleive there are not enough service centers for the spyder.
I would love to go the there school and be a service tech where I live. why do you have to sell them to be able to service them for the company.
Just my thought.

Hi BIKEMIKE. I have relatives in your area.

Ever hear of Maxwell Landscaping in Statesville or R-Anel Homes in Cherryville?

BIKEMIKE
07-15-2011, 03:22 PM
Sorry have not, buy iv'e been in the same location for 20 years and only know 2 people on my block.

mxz600
07-15-2011, 04:54 PM
Sorry have not, buy iv'e been in the same location for 20 years and only know 2 people on my block.
You need to work less and get out more.

Lamonster
07-15-2011, 05:09 PM
Thanks for the post Ron. I'm just now feeling like a human again after three long days at club. I turned into a zombie just after you dropped me off yesterday and this morning I headed to the airport to pick up my wife at 10:45am and when I went to start the car the battery was dead so I was going to take the truck but it is out of fuel so I jumped the car with the truck but after I got down the road I saw the low tire light was on and it drove funny so I had to head back to the house to fix it and now I was running real late. I had the peddle to the metal all the way only to find out she was coming in at 10:45pm not am :gaah:

So then I read some of the post here and decide it's best that I don't reply when I'm in a very foul mood. I will say that nobody has ever bought my opinion and that includes BRP. I love the Spyder and I've come to love the folks that run the company and consider many of them my friends. I've worked for myself since 1982 and this is the first company I would ever consider going to work for as an employee only because I believe in the product and I like the way they do business and the way they treat their employees. I plan on doing a blog on my whole 2011 Club experience when I get caught up and that will answer some of the questions that have been posted here and on other post.

LennyO
07-15-2011, 05:14 PM
I plan on doing a blog on my whole 2011 Club experience when I get caught up and that will answer some of the questions that have been posted here and on other post.

I'll drink to that, Lamont!
Thank you so much for all the time and work you invest into running the forum. It must be a BEAR, but seems to be the labor of love ;)

Cheers, bro!

dabreitbach
07-15-2011, 05:41 PM
Most not all of the problems are dealer related. BRP HAS to review how sets up dealerships. It seam's like they only want the big multi-line mega dealer with the expensive building to sell these. They already have alot of good dealers who already sell skidoo and canam 4wheelers and seadoo's. I have an excellant dealer 10 miles from me that is top notch. He sells skidoo and canam 4 wheelers. He even sells the commander . He also works on all kind of bikes. He has an A++++ reputation. BUT they will not give him the spyder dealership.! I talked to the area rep last year at the chicago owners event and he said he had to fight to get them the commander to sell. All because they don't like his showroom!! They would rather have a dealer that has to do a boat load of sales in all brands just to keep the doors open and pay for the damm building.:dontknow:

The have not figured out yet that lower overhead equates to better service because they can take the time and DO IT RIGHT. Untill they figure this out and start getting dealers that can take the time to do it right the first time there will continue to be problems.:lecturef_smilie:

For now I have 2 dealers 80 miles from me and one is good and one is not worth a damn(the one I bought mine from).

Paula(Butch2025)
07-15-2011, 05:51 PM

:agree:Well said Ann!!!!

bruiser
07-15-2011, 06:40 PM
WOW. I must say :agree: with Lamont, Ron, Phil and many others. I haven't had many problems with my 2010 RT S. And those that I have had have been minor. And, like others, my biggest complaint is the dealer support or the lack there of. I have had minor problems with both of my GM products, but I have a great dealership that takes care of me. I don't blame GM for my problems, nor would I. But if the dealer didn't do their job, I would complain to them. I'm in the business of servicing and repairing commercial/industrial equipment. When the customer is unhappy with their service, guess who they come to...

For the record;
Jim
Goldsboro NC

Mo Lee
07-15-2011, 06:54 PM
I am one of those who is blessed with an outstanding dealer, and I think most of you will agree. That being said I probably should stay out of this thread, however I do not think some of you are being fair in some of your comments. I and I'm sure most of you bought Spyders realizing it was a totally new vehicle and was fully aware there would be bugs to work out, I for one think BRP is doing an outstanding job solving these issues. Internet forums seem to only report the bad and some people take pleasure in posting negative just to stir the pot so to speak. You got to apply a BS filter to what you read and then make your own assessment. BRP was bashed for the owners event in Chicago last year because it was in the City, what did they do, moved it to Maggie Valley this year. There was discussion what their involvement should be with Spyderfest US several stated they should put on blue jeans, ride in on Spyders, and have fun, in which they did, matter of fact they blended in so well that when Carlo joined me on the Fort ride only myself and a couple of others even knew he was along until we lost him in the backwoods of the Ozarks. Dealers, I guess there is some out there that leave a little to be desired, however it is the customers who must hold them to the fire and educate them as to how to treat a customer by simply turning it over to Carlo or by going to another dealer. Cowtown is an outstanding dealer however if they had not been willing to join this forum and read and listen to problems they might be in the good category instead of the outstanding. In my opinion Lamont and this forum has done more for the Spyder than any other one thing however Spyderlovers are one big team and I for one am proud to be a part of the team.

MouthPiece
07-15-2011, 06:57 PM
Very well said Ron :thumbup:

I agree also that your dealer makes all the difference in the world . I cannot say enough how well my dealer looks after me. All of his techs are more than qualified to fix :f_spider: problems. Team Vincent Motorsports is a platinum designated full line BRP product dealership. The dealership is always busy with people buying things and picking up and dropping off their toys, to me thgis is a good sign :2thumbs:

Ditto as to Seminole Power Sports, in Sanford, Florida. They are a platinum designated dealer and live up to that label. As for BRP, they have done everything they have said they'd do.

Chris

johnnyg
07-15-2011, 07:18 PM
I would like to say Ridenow Power Sports in Ocala has always treated us with the utmost respect in taking care of any problems we have had with our spyders. We know some people in the area don't care for them and not coming down on them but we have never had any problems and they always jump in and take care of us when ever we need something and if they need to get intouch with BRP they seem not to have any problems doing so. this is my $02 for the night. JC

Roadkill
07-15-2011, 08:14 PM
+Well, sorta-kinda. Even Victory had similar concerns when it entered the market, including a vocal group of critics.

http://www.roadkillonline.net/imagedb_images/35_2732.JPG

Anyways, I think BRP's doing fine. Those with issues should address them, vocally if necessary, but not by attacking the builders. Seek support from your peers for maximum effect, IMHO.

Ride on.
Roadkill

Pennyrick
07-15-2011, 08:22 PM

Why would you want two controls when you can do the job with one?

Would you put a hand brake for the front wheels on your car and only use the foot brake for the rears?

Learn to ride the Spyder and quit trying to make your Roadster into a motorcycle.

wyliec
07-15-2011, 08:25 PM
Why would you want two controls when you can do the job with one?

Would you put a hand brake for the front wheels on your car and only use the foot brake for the rears?

Learn to ride the Sypder and quit trying to make your Roadster into a motorcycle.

Some people have disabilities.

Oldmanzues
07-15-2011, 08:53 PM
I love my Spyders. I had a 08 GS/RS with no real problems. My problem was weight/height and old age. Foot position as with many others. BRPs fault, no. I loved playing with the :spyder2:on the Dragon. I looked at cost to get what I wanted/needed. Bought a 2010 RT. Had a problem with leaking rear suspension, fixed under warrenty. I just discovered a "tear" on the seat, up at the front. V shaped tear, white backing still in place. Snitches seem to be to tight in that area, anyway. Waiting on this one. More on this later.
I realize there are ligement problems that take time to fix or find out what it is. There are problems with dealerships. One person, I talked to said, the :spyder2: was the worse thing he ever owned. Towed several times over limp mode. they all had the same code, pressure on brake anybody ?
The problem with getting/being a dealer is like a chicken and the egg thing.A person does not want to be a dealer until there a lot of Spyders locally, but people hesitate to buy one because there are no local dealers. It is a huge investment.
I have met several BRP people at events. All seemed interested. To me, a :spyder2: is a great ride. Ask people from a couple years ago about Lucus Electrics, Carrying a spare link to fix a broken chain. HD Sportsters (sp) had a minor problem, electric system go crazy and blow every light on the bike.
I would like thank all who post information to help all of us.
Oldmanzues

BajaRon
07-15-2011, 11:04 PM
Your anonymous to me. I haven't had the pleasure of meeting you yet. You were going to come to Michigan 2 years ago and meet up with us at Scotty's. Your avatar says "Always late but worth the wait" I'm still waiting. Maybe we'll hook up at the "3 Great Lakes in 3 Great Days". If not I will make Lamonts BBQ one of these years.

Sorry Ron, technically BRP doesn't make aircraft. Bombardier made a split a few years back and BRP makes recreational products and Bombardier builds the planes and trains.

Got me on both counts... Guess I'll have to do better! :opps:

BajaRon
07-15-2011, 11:27 PM
I am one of those who is blessed with an outstanding dealer, and I think most of you will agree. That being said I probably should stay out of this thread, however I do not think some of you are being fair in some of your comments. I and I'm sure most of you bought Spyders realizing it was a totally new vehicle and was fully aware there would be bugs to work out, I for one think BRP is doing an outstanding job solving these issues. Internet forums seem to only report the bad and some people take pleasure in posting negative just to stir the pot so to speak. You got to apply a BS filter to what you read and then make your own assessment. BRP was bashed for the owners event in Chicago last year because it was in the City, what did they do moved it to Maggie Valley this year. There was discussion what their involvement should be with Spyderfest US several stated they should put on blue jeans, ride in on Spyders, and have fun, in which they did, matter of fact they blended in so well that when Carlo joined me on the Fort ride only myself and a couple of others even knew he was along until we lost him in the backwoods of the Ozarks. Dealers I guess there is some out there that leave a little to be desired, however it is the customers who must hold them to the fire and educate them as to how to treat a customer by simply turning it over to Carlo or by going to another dealer. Cowtown is an outstanding dealer however if they had not been willing to join this forum and read and listen to problems they might be in the good category instead of the outstanding. In my opinion Lamont and this forum has done more for the Spyder than any other one thing however Spyderlovers are one big team and I for one am proud to be a part of the team.

Absolutely love this post. I think it may be the most accurate broad brush perspective I've seen.

I am not sure everyone here realizes how much SpyderLovers (You and I) have contributed, and will continue to contribute to the Spyder and the Spyder experience.

I've always wondered how many Spyders are purchased because of this web site. My personal opinion is that not only do we sell Spyders, but we provide each other with an unbelievable network creating an experience that is not offered anywhere else.

And I also think we are going a long way towards plugging the holes in the lack of dealership support that other machines enjoy. You can come here and learn more about your Spyder in a few visits than you can in the showroom of some Spyder dealerships. And those people are getting paid!

We don't do all of this because we are getting paid. We're doing it because we believe in the concept, the machine and ultimately in the manufacturer. We are believers in the Spyder experience.

Think of the virtually spontainous, owner generated events that have been built around this group. Think of the products that make the Spyder even better that have been birthed right here.

I'd say, dispite our warts, and the warts of our Spyders, we've done a commendible job so far and we are just getting started! :thumbup:

bone crusher
07-16-2011, 02:03 AM

Phil Burks
Tyler Texas

Hyundai Genesis? What were you thinking? :D It looks like they dissected a Mercedes and tried to reproduce it...reverse engineering, perhaps?

As far as the Spyder goes, yeah, it has problems...percentage-wise more than other motorcycles, I cannot say...however, people who are in the shop for a month or two do need to be compensated nicely for their time...

I really love my Spyder and I have a 2008...wouldn't trade it for anything...I just keep adding onto it...

retiredsquid
07-16-2011, 05:39 AM
My one and only experience with dealing with BRP was a very negative one and was basically told to pay out of my own pocket to correct a mistake BRP made in design and production of the RT-622. This was even after telling them that legally in my state they could be forced to correct it if they intended to sell their product in Arkansas. I was basically told Tango Sierra. They even told the franchise's (four dealerships) HQ the same thing.

I was at a Goldwing trike conversion builder's dealership this week that does over five million a year in sales. The owner has been trying for ages to get BRP to make him a Spyder dealer. They have never contacted him and explained why he has not been given even a courtesy call. He has outstanding customer service and sells nation wide. He would give Bradford Marine a run for their money in Arkansas and would be more like the folks in Cowtown. I would make the two hour drive if they were a CanAm dealer.

Good customer service along with timely repairs in the service department is critical to the success of the Spyder. If I had the money and could get a franchise going. I would dearly love to have a dealership. I would be danged sure to keep enough spare parts in inventory from day one to ensure folks machines were not down for weeks or months on end. Even if we lost money on a repair from time to time I would do everything in my power to keep the customer that bought one of my machines happy. Rule of thumb in business, for every customer that has a bad experience it potentially costs you ten new customers. One aw-crap wipes out a thousand atta-boys.

I know my buying experience at my dealership has left a very sour taste in my mouth that will not go away. Looking back at it I should have left the county offices and returned to the dealer and told them to get me the correct trailer no matter how much trouble it would cause them to get the paper work straight. It would have potentially destroyed a vacation that the RT-622 was purchased for. This was especially true after speaking with Len and him telling me that they pretty much outright lied to me concerning availability since he had two white MY-2011 RT-622s in stock at the time.

Tonga
07-16-2011, 06:12 AM
Wow, this thread started out Great then, well I don't know, went kind of wild. I have met with some BRP reps and have the same feelings about the Spyder & the Company as Lamont ! My Dealer is Great! I can talk to them and the Tech guys are accessible as well. I hear so many complaints so I ask about them but always get the same answer, no problems like that. All Forums are the same I guess, we ALL have an opinion, mine is that I Agree with Lamont ! And I Love my Spyder !!! Thanks Lamont !

retiredsquid
07-16-2011, 06:25 AM
I love my Spyder, don't get me wrong. We have put 3,800 miles on ours in the past two months and not a single issue with the Spyder. My problems have all been with customer service and a bait and switch thing at my dealer along with a huge amount of arrogance once they got the checks cashed.

That sort of thing can happen at any dealer -- buyer beware. My issue with calling BRP was being treated like crap and I was being very nice. Basically, BRP customer service folks said, "We haven't had enough complaints, so we are not going to even bother listening to yours."

SpyderDuck
07-16-2011, 10:48 AM
Ok, so many of us have had issues with our Spyders, our dealers, and BRP, me included. How many of us would be willing to help fix it?

I would. I would actually propose that BRP have regional customer satisfaction specialists, who could interface with both customers and dealers. I think that having a customer service department is great, but perhaps a more personal touch is required - someone who could visit dealers, maybe customers, maybe even mediate disputes. This person could receive feedback surveys after customers have their Spyders serviced, and respond to any issues. The smaller volume would really allow someone to solve problems, provided BRP trusts them and gives them their full support.

I know, it sounds a little far-fetched. But if BRP wants to be a leader in the industry and cultivate a sound reputation for quality and customer satisfaction, they could consider this.

I have worked in customer service for many years. I would love to be the customer satisfaction specialist for the Carolinas, representing a product that I both love and believe in. I am happy enough with my current company, but I would change my life if I thought I could truly help. That is how much faith I have in the Spyder (although I assume other BRP products would be involved). There are others among us who would perhaps agree, and with our community here, we could keep our fingers on the pulse of Spyder owners. We could also support each other in our efforts.

What a concept - a customer satisfaction network, working with the manufacturer, dealers, and customers. Yeah, I live in a dream world... :roflblack:

Dochands
07-16-2011, 10:54 AM
I think its important to realize that whatever BRP does this forum and Lamont are invaluable resources.

I have several other toys and the forums for them are generally argumentative and unhelpful.

Spyderlovers will get you three solutions for every problem you have and generally a sympathetic ear to boot when you post. That is a rare and wonderful thing.

Whatever Lamonts relationship is with BRP now he started this out of love for the amazing machine and a desire to build a real community of like minded riders. I am not speaking for him but I know from experience having tried to start product forums for others things I have owned. It's a lot of work and often very thankless.

BRP is definitely stepping up its PR and including Lamont and others. This is to their benefit. Our benefit is having our El Hefe in the lion's den for info and to be the voice of our community.

I am sounding entirely too nice and supportive. :roflblack:

bone crusher
07-16-2011, 11:41 AM
Ok, so many of us have had issues with our Spyders, our dealers, and BRP, me included. How many of us would be willing to help fix it?

I would. I would actually propose that BRP have regional customer satisfaction specialists, who could interface with both customers and dealers. I think that having a customer service department is great, but perhaps a more personal touch is required - someone who could visit dealers, maybe customers, maybe even mediate disputes. This person could receive feedback surveys after customers have their Spyders serviced, and respond to any issues. The smaller volume would really allow someone to solve problems, provided BRP trusts them and gives them their full support.

I know, it sounds a little far-fetched. But if BRP wants to be a leader in the industry and cultivate a sound reputation for quality and customer satisfaction, they could consider this.

I have worked in customer service for many years. I would love to be the customer satisfaction specialist for the Carolinas, representing a product that I both love and believe in. I am happy enough with my current company, but I would change my life if I thought I could truly help. That is how much faith I have in the Spyder (although I assume other BRP products would be involved). There are others among us who would perhaps agree, and with our community here, we could keep our fingers on the pulse of Spyder owners. We could also support each other in our efforts.

What a concept - a customer satisfaction network, working with the manufacturer, dealers, and customers. Yeah, I live in a dream world... :roflblack:

Not a bad idea...helps the company stay in touch as they grow...

BajaRon
07-16-2011, 12:07 PM

Don't know how the logistics of this would work. I'm sure BRP would want some control mechanism in place. But I really like the concept.

I'd say BRP already has something like this in place, but why not have a committed, knowledgable contact for issues. Someone who could get to know the dealerships in their area with a contact in BRP. A neutral party that could bring solutions together.

Not sure what the downside would be.

I like it! :D

Wheeler~
07-16-2011, 09:32 PM
:2thumbs: