PDA

View Full Version : Spyder riding is on hold

vtrider
07-12-2011, 06:34 PM
I am so bumed out right now. I was out early yesterday morning washing my spyder at 5:00am and getting ready to take a ride for the day in the North East area of Vermont. Well, I needed to go in the house and slipped and fell to the ground. While trying to prevent myself from falling I lunged forward and in the event I sprained and tore my right leg hamstring muscle. I was in a lot of pain. No one was home at the time. I had all I could do to climb my stairs to get into the house. I threw myself on the couch and suffered with the pain for a while. I then had to manage to get to the phone and call my ex-wife where my 16 year old son was staying in Alburgh VT near the Canadian border which is about 45 minutes from where I live. They came up asap. When they arrived I was is too much pain to move off the couch, so my ex had to call 911 to get me on an ambulance to the hospital. To make a long story short I will be layed up for a while and will need some recovery time. I may not be a ble to ride the spyder for most of the rest of this summer. I'm able to walk some with the help of crutches, but it's slow moving around. I do have an appointment to see an physical therapy doctor tomorrow and have therapy sessions done for this injury. I must say I will miss riding the Spyder and not being able to do much of anything else! I don't sit around very easily and I usually like to be active. This really sucks! :(

SpyderAnn01
07-12-2011, 06:43 PM
Ouch! My garage floor gets slippery when it is wet and I've caught myself a number of times. I hope you heal soon as summers are too short to be out of commission.

NancysToy
07-12-2011, 06:48 PM
Ouch! Glad you had no permanent injuries, though. Heal fast, we'll be praying for you.

MouthPiece
07-12-2011, 07:00 PM
Sorry about what has happened. I wonder if my ex would have come over. LOL. You're lucky that yours did.

Chris

Yeochief
07-12-2011, 07:03 PM
Ouch! My barked up shin doesn't hurt any more. Take care and get better fast, summer is too short as far north as you are.

DynamoBT
07-12-2011, 07:06 PM
Well that just stinks!!! Hope the PT works for you. I've known two people who tore their hamstrings and needed surgery to repair the damage. Hope that's not you!!!

Take heart. It's actually almost too hot to ryde here. Course, where you are the weather is probably near perfect. I hope you don't lose the whole summer. Do your exercises and stretching. Hope you heal up quickly.

spyder3
07-12-2011, 07:06 PM
Hope your ok & soon!!! :pray:

Called your EX?....hmmm.....mine would have listened, laughed and then hung up....nojoke

cjackg
07-12-2011, 07:08 PM
I feel your pain... took a fall on bottom stair step June 20, tore the Quadriceps tendon in my left knee, and am out for the summer, wearing a full leg brace! Not fun at all, and never been more bored!

Raptor
07-12-2011, 07:10 PM
Get well soon, VT. My thoughts are with you...

katnapper
07-12-2011, 07:18 PM
Hope you heal quickly!

bikeguy
07-12-2011, 08:10 PM
Must have been very painful. Get well soon.

Cotton

Marker
07-12-2011, 08:13 PM
Get Well soon

ARtraveler
07-12-2011, 08:23 PM
Get well soon. Our prayers are with you.

Blue Star
07-12-2011, 08:31 PM
Sorry about your injury, and pray that you get well soon.

SSG Bean
07-12-2011, 08:33 PM
Get well soon.

jedd
07-12-2011, 10:45 PM
Bum deal very sorry to hear, glad your Ex was kind enough to help you out that was inspiring. As far as passing time just keep posting here, and if you are bored just pick a thread and stir the pot---thats what I do.

Jim

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/13/13_1_209.gif

vtrider
07-13-2011, 05:47 AM
Thanks everyone for the moral support! I'm just glad that I have plenty of vacation hours to take, 7 weeks worth of time built up. I usually work lots of over time hours to help pay for all the motor toys..Spyder and three snowmobiles, insurance and registrations for all. The down time from work will surely make it tough in that regard. But I will get through it I'm sure. I know that I'm not alone in this world we live in dealing with these same kind of issues. I just pray that the economy will get better for all.

LennyO
07-13-2011, 06:15 AM
Oh, man.... Hamstring... that's a lot of pain!
Wishing you a full and speedy recovery!!!

Bob Denman
07-13-2011, 06:39 AM
Heal Quickly! :2thumbs:

Look on the bright side... It'll give you more time to hang around in here at Spyderlovers.com!! :D

ctpaddler2000
07-13-2011, 06:59 AM
My ex-wife would have just hung up the phone.

Some Guy
07-13-2011, 07:59 AM
OUCH!!! I know how you feel...REALLY! :gaah:

Back in December I slipped on ice and tore my right hamstring. It happened about 2 houses away from my house. It hurt like :cus: :cus: :cus: . I literally had to crawl back home because I couldn't stand up because the pain was so bad. I also ended up in the hospital...not much they could do except give pain meds and muscle relaxers.

I did PT for several weeks and was about 95% healed, when I slipped AGAIN on ice and re-tore it! :yikes: It didn't hurt as bad as the first time, but then again, I may have built up some pain tolerance.

Luckily for me, no surgery was required. Hopefully you won't need it either. Get better soon!

Bob Denman
07-13-2011, 08:02 AM
:roflblack: :shocked: :yikes:
The only thing that an ex likes more than seeing us miserable and in pain is... NOTHING!

pjp623
07-13-2011, 09:21 AM

Mine would have had her lawer charge me for the visit as well as for his time in making up the bill. :roflblack:
But, I would rather crawl to the ER than ask her for help anyway.
Best wishes for a speedy recovery and getting back out on your Spyder.

dancogan
07-13-2011, 10:23 AM
Sorry about the fall. VT is one of our favorite places to ride and I hope you'll be back to riding before long. Let us know how the recovery goes.

hotmanali
07-13-2011, 11:31 AM
Keep positive

GI Jane
07-13-2011, 01:49 PM
Hope you heal fast. I'm getting a good laugh out of all the ex comments. My went down with my youngest son on back in May. I went to the hospital like a good girl but believe me it was only for my son's sake. Ex had broken ribs and in pain but I was totally apathetic. All I cared about was my son was OK!

spyder3
07-13-2011, 02:01 PM
Hope you heal fast. I'm getting a good laugh out of all the ex comments. My went down with my youngest son on back in May. I went to the hospital like a good girl but believe me it was only for my son's sake. Ex had broken ribs and in pain but I was totally apathetic. All I cared about was my son was OK!

At least your honest!! :2thumbs:

woodchuck
07-13-2011, 05:24 PM
I am so bumed out right now. I was out early yesterday morning washing my spyder at 5:00am and getting ready to take a ride for the day in the North East area of Vermont. Well, I needed to go in the house and slipped and fell to the ground. While trying to prevent myself from falling I lunged forward and in the event I sprained and tore my right leg hamstring muscle. I was in a lot of pain. No one was home at the time. I had all I could do to climb my stairs to get into the house. I threw myself on the couch and suffered with the pain for a while. I then had to manage to get to the phone and call my ex-wife where my 16 year old son was staying in Alburgh VT near the Canadian border which is about 45 minutes from where I live. They came up asap. When they arrived I was is too much pain to move off the couch, so my ex had to call 911 to get me on an ambulance to the hospital. To make a long story short I will be layed up for a while and will need some recovery time. I may not be a ble to ride the spyder for most of the rest of this summer. I'm able to walk some with the help of crutches, but it's slow moving around. I do have an appointment to see an physical therapy doctor tomorrow and have therapy sessions done for this injury. I must say I will miss riding the Spyder and not being able to do much of anything else! I don't sit around very easily and I usually like to be active. This really sucks! :(
I can relate to what your are saying about not being able to ride your spyder.
I had my left knee replaced twice. Now this knee is bothering me. I haven't been riding since the middle of june. The second knee was put in August 2010. In sept 2010 zimmer knee co recaled all the zimmer nex gen. I don't know what they are going to do about this knee. Good luck and I hope you heal soon.

bruiser
07-13-2011, 06:20 PM
That sux :shocked: Get well soon.

JJW SpyderRider
07-13-2011, 06:36 PM
Get well soon. Our prayers are with you. Be sure to do your PT so you will be able to do your three wheel PT soon. :pray:

GeminiJane
07-13-2011, 09:36 PM
So sorry to hear of your accident - hope things go well quickly. Speaking from the experience of breaking my right leg in February, you will find that you are much more invested in doing PT with the idea of getting back on the Spyder quicker! No joke - on the days that I was tempted to fluff through the second and third hours of at-home therapy, I'd remember that might mean an extra day (or week) of not riding and would hit it hard again! It did pay off - I was able to strap the walker on the back and use my cast to push the brake pedal so was able to enjoy Spyder rydes by April. Just last week I actually was able to ride my BMW as my leg/ankle is now strong enough to hold the bike at stops and also hold to put down a kick stand. Tomorrow I plan to try a ride on my new Ducati Diavel which has been waiting in the garage for me since May - think I'm ready to try it!
So I wish you well and encourage you to do your PT and hold onto the dream of getting back on the Spyder soon! Good luck.

Florida girl
07-13-2011, 09:55 PM
:agree: So very sorry to hear about your accident. :pray: My husband had 3 separate injuries with surgery over the past 3 years. :yikes: (Almost one every year!) He wanted to heal quickly so he followed EVERY bit if his PT! He did ALL of the homework assignments that his therapists gave him to do and then did them double! :shemademe_smilie: His nick name is now SUPERMAN because of the super quick way he heals. :roflblack: We know it is because he was serious about PT. Follow everything they tell you to do. If you work hard you may be out there riding sooner than you think! :2thumbs: Good luck. I wish you a speedy recovery!!! :yes: :thumbup:

Ga Blue Knight
07-14-2011, 12:43 AM
Oh man that really blows but on the good side there will be a next ride in your future! Having a goal will help in the recovering process. Keep up your PT when you get to that point and you will be back on the :spyder2: soon. Feel well soon!

vtrider
07-14-2011, 02:43 PM
I just never would of thought that washing the Spyder to keep it clean and shiney would of led me to not being able to ride it. Man, I wish I just would of rode it the way it was that day. But, I can't look back now. It is what it is. :dontknow:

GeminiJane
07-14-2011, 06:34 PM
Ooooohhhh, you're right. Next time I'm tempted to clean my Spyder I'm going to remember your tale of pain and just ryde, not clean! (I do that mostly anyway - now I have a reason:2thumbs:).

mosslips
07-15-2011, 02:07 PM
Well, I'm new here, but I am a nurse and could not pass this thread without sending you healing wishes... not to mention, I too am on the couch trying to heal enough to ride before our NY sun turns back to rain again. Picked up my spyder on Saturday and had a great ride home, then helped with my son's fundraising car wash and got 2nd degree burns on the tops of my feet. Ugggh. Havent been on her since. So from one person resting and healing to another, I am sending you healing thoughts

Lisa K