PDA

View Full Version : HELP, I'M STRANDED!

sealfloorboards
07-10-2011, 12:35 PM
Went to the gym this morning, did my workout and now my RT SE5 won't start.
It seems to be stuck in first gear. The manuel said to step on the brake to reset to Neutral. Nothing. The first time I tried to start it, it gave a try. Successive attempts the start attempt got shorter and shorted. Now it just clicks once. Now I can't seem to get the e-brake to engage. It did during my first few attempts. A guy at the gym suggested I disconnect the battery to reboot the system. Not sure how to do that and don't feel comfortable doing it. Got a ride home but before I get my truck and trailer, load it up and take it to my service center 1 hr. away on Tuesday, I would appreciate some input. Thanks folks.

John

CyncySpyder
07-10-2011, 01:13 PM
John, I'm so sorry to here about your situation. It sounds like you may have a battery or connection issue, as I've read similar posts from other members & that's what ended up being the issue. I'm sorry I don't have the personal knowledge to pass along to you on what to do, but I'm sure someone will chime in soon :helpsmilie:

Let us know what your outcome reveals & I hope it's nothing serious & your up & rYde'n soon :popcorn:

Riker
07-10-2011, 01:20 PM
I am no expert my any means...

I have also read similar..

Try tightening your battery connections, and make sure your fuses are securely in place...

Let us know how you make out..
:popcorn:

ARtraveler
07-10-2011, 01:34 PM
It does sound like a battery related issue. Let us know what happens.

Lamonster
07-10-2011, 02:02 PM
If you park it in gear on a SE you could wind up running down your battery trying to start it as it won't always shift into neutral. I've done the same thing before. Now you need to charge your battery back up and you can shift it into neutral by hand if you have to, I never had to.

boborgera
07-10-2011, 03:12 PM
Went to the gym this morning, did my workout and now my RT SE5 won't start.
It seems to be stuck in first gear. The manuel said to step on the brake to reset to Neutral. Nothing. The first time I tried to start it, it gave a try. Successive attempts the start attempt got shorter and shorted. Now it just clicks once. Now I can't seem to get the e-brake to engage. It did during my first few attempts. A guy at the gym suggested I disconnect the battery to reboot the system. Not sure how to do that and don't feel comfortable doing it. Got a ride home but before I get my truck and trailer, load it up and take it to my service center 1 hr. away on Tuesday, I would appreciate some input. Thanks folks.

John

That click means your battery is dead, There's a slight chance if you can manually [13mm wench?] put it in neutral, and its been sitting a while the battery might come back enough to start, otherwise you'll have to charge the battery, or get a boost.

sealfloorboards
07-10-2011, 06:18 PM
Gotta problem? Ask :SpyderLover.com. As usual, you guys nailed it. It was the battery. As fate would have it, my gym is next door to a race car shop and the two young owners were working on Sunday afternoon. They very kindly jumped it for me and then asked lots of questions while I let it run. Dod about 20 miles at 55 in 4th gear. When I got home I made sure it was in neutral before shutting it down. It started right back up.

Thanks for the help, you guys truely rock:2thumbs::2thumbs::2thumbs:

John
Seal FloorBoards

xqsmepotna
07-10-2011, 06:25 PM
I have a GS... is it bad to leave it in gear? I never you the parking brake because I have to jump up and down on it to release it... like the samsonite commercials.

boborgera
07-10-2011, 07:37 PM
I have a GS... is it bad to leave it in gear? I never you the parking brake because I have to jump up and down on it to release it... like the samsonite commercials.

No it's not bad to leave it in gear, If you have the semi auto then you should leave it in neutral. There is a fix for the brake release problem of yours.
Most dealers will know all about it.

BajaRon
07-10-2011, 07:45 PM
Gotta problem? Ask :SpyderLover.com. As usual, you guys nailed it. It was the battery. As fate would have it, my gym is next door to a race car shop and the two young owners were working on Sunday afternoon. They very kindly jumped it for me and then asked lots of questions while I let it run. Dod about 20 miles at 55 in 4th gear. When I got home I made sure it was in neutral before shutting it down. It started right back up.

Thanks for the help, you guys truely rock:2thumbs::2thumbs::2thumbs:

John
Seal FloorBoards

I would still put the battery on a charger even though it started right up as it is is probably still low. Be sure your charger has an AGM setting as regular Wet, Lead Acid chargers can damage our high tech AGM batteries.

I suspect that is why some Spyder batteries don't last as long as they should.

spyder3
07-10-2011, 07:53 PM
you guys are the best, glad you got help john.....I also always park mine in gear, just havent had an issue yet.:dontknow:

CyncySpyder
07-10-2011, 07:57 PM
:firstplace: BEST SITE ON THE WEB FOR EVERYTHING SPYDER RELATED:firstplace: