PDA

View Full Version : Installing digital gauges

packbuckbrew
07-08-2011, 04:48 PM
I purchased digital gauges from Dakota and one optional wire is for gauge dimming, does anyone know if the brp stock gauge lights dim.automatically at night?

eddieshep999
07-08-2011, 06:27 PM
I had fitted Dakota Digital gauges on my previous Motorcycle
BMW K100LT - Voltmeter and Ambient Temp gauge

Because you could switch the lights on/off - When you connected the
Gauge up via the optional wire the gauge would dim when the Lights were switched on (Gauge reading was dimmer - less glare)
When the lights are off (Gauge reading was brighter)

My Spyder RT -S (SES AUTO) set up for European Market has the lights
on all the time (Lights can't be switched on/off - only Main/Dipped beam)
Therefore I would think if you connected a gauge to the lighting circuit
the gauge would always appear to be in dim (Night time mode)

I maybe wrong not having fitted any new gauges to my Spyder yet !

Perhaps others will advise you on this or contact Dakota who maybe able to help

Eddie Sheppard
Reading UK

lightman02
07-09-2011, 02:02 PM
I purchased digital gauges from Dakota and one optional wire is for gauge dimming, does anyone know if the brp stock gauge lights dim.automatically at night?

No they don't, they are always on full brightness during the day or at night as the spyder has a always on headlight and illumination circuit. The gauge cluster is always lit full on even during the day, however you can't see it lit because the brightness of daylight over powers the backround lighting. I would leave the wire disconnected. However if you find your digital guages are to bright at night, you would have to put some type of potentiometer on that wire for dimming and connect it to a main power source to dim it down. However some guages will dim slightly when they sense voltage at that wire. I would try it with the wire disconnected if they are to bright u can splice it along with your guage main power feed and see if they dim somewhat.

packbuckbrew
07-09-2011, 03:07 PM
Thnx guys