PDA

View Full Version : Gatlinburg area roads/rides suggestions

ArkTerry
07-06-2011, 10:13 AM
Trailering my Spyder to our family 8 night stay in Gatlinburg the first week of August, and I plan to go out most mornings on a 1 to 5 hour exploration as the family sleeps in.

I have researched and found dozens of suggested bike rides like of course The Dragon, Cherohala Skyway, etc..., but wondering if anyone can suggest less well known runs or back roads in the area to avoid the crowds more?

While curves/twisties are fine, I mainly enjoy nice views, waterfalls, unique landscapes, dams, lakes, historical sites, etc..... and the less traffic the better.

Thanks for any suggestions of roads or sites to check out!

Pennyrick
07-06-2011, 11:12 AM
Trailering my Spyder to our family 8 night stay in Gatlinburg the first week of August, and I plan to go out most mornings on a 1 to 5 hour exploration as the family sleeps in.

I have researched and found dozens of suggested bike rides like of course The Dragon, Cherohala Skyway, etc..., but wondering if anyone can suggest less well known runs or back roads in the area to avoid the crowds more?

While curves/twisties are fine, I mainly enjoy nice views, waterfalls, unique landscapes, dams, lakes, historical sites, etc..... and the less traffic the better.

Thanks for any suggestions of roads or sites to check out!

Dodging the tourists is a tough task in that area. I lived there for seven years and hated the traffic.

Take 321 out of the 'Burg on an early morning run east to Pittman Center Road. Go left and follow Pittman Center road through the hollers to get to Highway 441 east of Sevierville. (aka Dolly Parton Parkway). Head east on 441 to the intersection with Highway 92 (Bush's Beans company is located at that corner). Take 92 left to Dandridge and enjoy the scenery as you cross the bridges over Douglas Lake.

Say on 92 through Dandridge to Jefferson City, then take Highway 34/11 (Andrew Johnson Highway) west, toward Knoxville to Strawberry Plains.

Go left on Highway 139 (Old Dandridge Pike), back towards Sevierville It will turn into Douglas Dam Road as you cross Highway 70.

Just after you cross I-40, take a right on Kodak Road and follow the French Broad River west, bear left on Thorngrove Pike and turn right on Highway 168, (aka John Sevier Highway), to Highway 441 (aka Chapman Highway) . Go left on 441 back towards Sevierville.

Just past Seymour take a right from 441 onto Wye Drive and go east. Wye turns into Jeffries Hollow Road and then into Ellejoy Road, eventually coming out to Highway 321. Go right on 321 (aka Lamar Alexander Parkway) toward Townsend, the name will change to Wears Valley Parkway and it will join into Highway 441 in Pigeon Forge. Go right on 441 back towards the Spur, through the National Park and back to Gatlinburg.

That should be a good morning's drive.

BajaRon
07-06-2011, 11:19 AM
Any direction except west is a good ride from Gatlinburg. Even west would be a nice ride except for the TRAFFIC!

You'd think you were back in LA!

wildbill6565
07-06-2011, 03:33 PM
Kabis cove (Spelling????????) Be there when gates open to see the wildlife!!!!!!! Go to the Sugarland center and turn to the right and love the 24 mile ride to the cove. One way in and out. BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!!

bruiser
07-06-2011, 04:32 PM
Kabis cove (Spelling????????) Be there when gates open to see the wildlife!!!!!!! Go to the Sugarland center and turn to the right and love the 24 mile ride to the cove. One way in and out. BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!!

Cades Cove???

bruiser
07-06-2011, 04:35 PM
Blue Ridge Parkway is splendid. Not a lot of traffic, plenty of scenery and twisties. Check out the North Carolina thread for great videos of rides.

Pennyrick
07-06-2011, 04:48 PM
Blue Ridge Parkway is splendid. Not a lot of traffic, plenty of scenery and twisties. Check out the North Carolina thread for great videos of rides.

Blue Ridge may be a bit of a stretch from Gatlinburg. Takes the better part of an hour to get over the mountain and back down to the start of the Parkway in Cherokee. Then you have to go east to North Carolina with no good return route other than back through the park (and then the return trip in bumper to bumper traffic will be worse) or by getting on I-40 around Asheville. It's pretty but crammed with 18 wheelers.

ArkTerry
07-07-2011, 07:01 AM
Thanks for the suggestions! I am looking forward to my first trip to the East Tenn area.

Evolv3
07-07-2011, 08:03 AM
Make sure you have a good spot for your trailer. We took a 16 foot trailer to pigeon forge and it was really interesting getting it up the 45 degree slopes and around the hairpins headed to the cabin.

MouthPiece
07-07-2011, 11:18 AM
Be sure and stop by Lamont's. I've heard he puts on a great "spread" :roflblack:

Chris JUST KIDDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!