PDA

View Full Version : Pulled the Plug

Questions
07-05-2011, 05:33 PM
I pulled the trigger this morning on a 2011 magnesium metalic RTS SE5 spyder.The dealer was willing to take my bike in trade and I think I received a good deal.

Took my wife and we went for a demo drive along the beach and had a good time. It took a little getting use to especially turning corners. Somewhat differant from what I am use to. But I think I am ready for a change.

Going to pick it up in the morning. Any sugguestions on set up etc would be welcome.Only thing so far is the heat coming from the radiator that I noticed and would be nice to redirect.:D

http://www.canamspyderforums.com/forums/images/spyder/buttons/edit.gif
(http://www.canamspyderforums.com/forums/editpost.php?do=editpost&p=8064)

BajaRon
07-05-2011, 05:44 PM
I pulled the plug this morning on a 2011 magnesium metalic RTS SE5 spyder.The dealer was willing to take my bike in trade and I think I received a good deal.

Took my wife and we went for a demo drive along the beach and had a good time. It took a little getting use to especially turning corners. Somewhat differant from what I am use to. But I think I am ready for a change.

Going to pick it up in the morning. Any sugguestions on set up etc would be welcome.Only thing so far is the heat coming from the radiator that I noticed and would be nice to redirect.:D http://www.canamspyderforums.com/forums/images/spyder/buttons/edit.gif
(http://www.canamspyderforums.com/forums/editpost.php?do=editpost&p=8064)

I think you mean you pulled the trigger. Pulling the plug means you're getting out, pulling the trigger means your getting in.

Either way, congratulations! You're going to Love the experience and the people!

SpyderAnn01
07-05-2011, 05:50 PM
:congrats:

Questions
07-05-2011, 06:42 PM
I think you mean you pulled the trigger. Pulling the plug means you're getting out, pulling the trigger means your getting in.

Either way, congratulations! You're going to Love the experience and the people!

LOL, so right, I edited title

dltang
07-05-2011, 06:44 PM
:welcome: and :congrats::spyder2:

SpyderSteve
07-05-2011, 06:44 PM
:congrats: Let the mods begin :thumbup:

COOLMACHINE
07-05-2011, 06:55 PM
A helpful bit of advice. Just make sure to hold the handlebars loosely. The spyder is very sensitive to any input from you. And ENJOY your new machine.!!:thumbup:

Big Arm
07-05-2011, 06:58 PM
:welcome: and :congrats: on the new :spyder2:

We love to see pictures here :ohyea:

spyder-dude
07-05-2011, 06:59 PM
:congrats: The spyder is an awesome machine!

BikerDoc
07-05-2011, 07:08 PM
:welcome::congrats:

Questions
07-05-2011, 07:28 PM
BikerDoc, where did you get the Ken Miller his and hers cup holders?

NorthStar
07-05-2011, 07:48 PM
Congratulations on your purchase.

A few suggestions on setting up your RT:

Radiator Heat: I recommend the Baker Air Wings To provide more air flow to your lower legs and feet. I have found the added air flow does wonders during the hot and cold riding season. Others have given good reviews to the Spydercan used to direct the heat away from your right foot.

Other creature comforts: The utopia drivers backrest is another add on that really pays dividends on longer rides.

Tire pressure: experiment a bit with this, but I have found 18 in the front and 30 in the rear works for me.

Front shocks: I have mine cranked up to the stiffest setting, but once again you may want to start with 3 and adjust them to a stiffer or softer setting when you have had an opportunity to put a few miles on the bike.

I also have ISCI floorboards, but I rode quite a while with the standard pegs before deciding to do this mod.

Lastly, if you are a long time two wheeler, give yourself at least 5 hundred miles to get used to the unique handling experience of a Spyder. As others will tell you, reducing the grip pressure while driving the bike makes the handling much more enjoyable. My first demo ride was a true learning experience and I felt like a novice driver after 40 years of motorcycle riding. Once I learned to drive the Spyder, like it was meant to be driven, I will be the first to admit that this vehicle definitely made touring way more comfortable and far safer than I thought possible.

Hope you enjoy your new ride and have many more enjoyable riding years in the saddle.

SteveMac
07-05-2011, 08:15 PM
A helpful bit of advice. Just make sure to hold the handlebars loosely. The spyder is very sensitive to any input from you. And ENJOY your new machine.!!:thumbup:

:welcome::congrats:

:agree:And 'push' into and through the turns for a more stable, secure turn. "Steering" or "pulling" may result in shimmy and a less than secure feeling. Left hand turn? Push through it with the right hand.

Hope you enjoy your ryde as much as I do mine!

SteveMac
07-05-2011, 08:17 PM
All excellent suggestions. :agree:

I would add to this list, the SpyderPops Lablock, Cat Shields, and Belt Guard. Very inexpensive and really work well. Also the fan-can from ISCI will help reduce the heat.

Congratulations on your purchase.

A few suggestions on setting up your RT:

Radiator Heat: I recommend the Baker Air Wings To provide more air flow to your lower legs and feet. I have found the added air flow does wonders during the hot and cold riding season. Others have given good reviews to the Spydercan used to direct the heat away from your right foot.

Other creature comforts: The utopia drivers backrest is another add on that really pays dividends on longer rides.

Tire pressure: experiment a bit with this, but I have found 18 in the front and 30 in the rear works for me.

Front shocks: I have mine cranked up to the stiffest setting, but once again you may want to start with 3 and adjust them to a stiffer or softer setting when you have had an opportunity to put a few miles on the bike.

I also have ISCI floorboards, but I rode quite a while with the standard pegs before deciding to do this mod.

Lastly, if you are a long time two wheeler, give yourself at least 5 hundred miles to get used to the unique handling experience of a Spyder. As others will tell you, reducing the grip pressure while driving the bike makes the handling much more enjoyable. My first demo ride was a true learning experience and I felt like a novice driver after 40 years of motorcycle riding. Once I learned to drive the Spyder, like it was meant to be driven, I will be the first to admit that this vehicle definitely made touring way more comfortable and far safer than I thought possible.

Hope you enjoy your new ride and have many more enjoyable riding years in the saddle.

ARtraveler
07-05-2011, 08:39 PM
:welcome: and :congrats: on the new ryde.

Light control on the handlebars is essential.

Questions
07-06-2011, 11:33 AM
Well I got my new RTS SE5 this morning. Bought the trike from the dealer about 25 miles away. he delivery went good and off I went. The first 10 miles it stalled on me 4 times twice sitting at a light in 1st, twice in neutral stopped in a shopping center going through the modes. It then started right back up. I then left there and hit the highway for another 10 miles and the last 2 miles on city streets and hasn't stalled since. I'm hoping whatever was the cause was cured by the 5k rpm 65mph run.
I did notice the cruise control couldn't hold 60 at first but a mile or 2 down the highway it did better at 65.
Only owned this trike a couple of hours and people were giving me thumbs up all the way home.
I can tell already this is going to be a blast.

Nate01
07-06-2011, 11:47 AM
Well I got my new RTS SE5 this morning. Bought the trike from the dealer about 25 miles away. he delivery went good and off I went. The first 10 miles it stalled on me 4 times twice sitting at a light in 1st, twice in neutral stopped in a shopping center going through the modes. It then started right back up. I then left there and hit the highway for another 10 miles and the last 2 miles on city streets and hasn't stalled since. I'm hoping whatever was the cause was cured by the 5k rpm 65mph run.
I did notice the cruise control couldn't hold 60 at first but a mile or 2 down the highway it did better at 65.
Only owned this trike a couple of hours and people were giving me thumbs up all the way home.
I can tell already this is going to be a blast.

I noticed on my SE5 I was the cause of the two stalls I have had. I was sitting at a light on a slight incline and trying to gas before letting off the Brake and mine stalled. I assume it is habit from clutches in my car and old bikes. Since I have started paying attention to that, I have not had a stall out. I assume it had something to do with the computer sensing the changes in RPM and no wheel movement, thus cutting engine power, but I could be way off base on that.

Weave2u
07-06-2011, 01:14 PM
:welcome: You're about to have a great time! :congrats: Hope you like attention my friend, cause you're about to get a lot of it :2thumbs:

:f_spider: on!!

jedd
07-06-2011, 02:02 PM
:congrats: & :welcome::nopic:

fastfraser
07-06-2011, 02:06 PM
:congrats: on the new :spyder2: . I got the white RTS and it was a toss up between the Magnesium it is one sharp color .