PDA

View Full Version : New Member possible New Owner

gfrances12
07-05-2011, 02:45 PM
Hello Everyone,
Looking for some advice, comments on the spyder. I've been riding here in the northeast for about 20+ years. First crotch rockets, then cruisers with my current ride a 2005 HD Softail Deluxe.
The wife and I ride on weekends and rarely do I ride 1 up. As I my years increase I'm realizing more and more the value of comfort over style and sound. Love the look and sound of my HD but realistically I rarely ever ride alone and always have my wife on the back.

So my question, how does the Spyder handle on the hwy crusing at 70-75? I've read reviews that it's a little bumpy and feels unstable at higher speeds. I'm not one to go riding through twistys so cornering isn't really a concern except for when I need to perform an evasive maneuver to avoid the cell phone talkers.

How is the comfort for the passenger and rider? Seating position, etc?

Thank you for your comments.

Gerald

ARtraveler
07-05-2011, 02:50 PM
:welcome: Spyder is great for 2-up riding at the higher speeds.

RTS--for luxury type touring.

RS--for more sporty handling.

A few threads about stability--but problems are experienced by new ryders who have not mastered the machine yet.

A learning curve of 250-500 miles usually takes care of any handling issues you may encounter.

Overcontrolling leads to handling issues.

Florida girl
07-05-2011, 03:19 PM
:welcome: or possible :spyder2: Lover! Well, you have definitely come to the right place for information! I am sure you will get some great responses to your questions! I am a female rider and I own a 2011 RT Limited. I find it extremely comfortable and stable. Riding at 70 MPH no problem. (And I am a big chicken) :roflblack: No instability issues at all for us! My husband owns two Harleys and has ridden for many years. He loves the ride of the Spyder. If we go on longer trips he prefers to take the Spyder and in that case I become his passenger. :gaah: :roflblack: He says he loves how the Spyder handles at higher speeds and prefers it's comfort over his Harleys. The only thing he said he sometimes misses on the :spyder2: is leaning into those turns. Not exactly the same on the Spyder but still loads of fun! I am sure we will have more comments here regarding this but we did just arrive back home from riding The tail of the Dragon a few weeks ago on the :spyder2: and I believe we were taking those curves faster than those bikes with 2 wheels! :2thumbs: :yikes: (Comments from our group led by InspectorGadget?!) :doorag: All in all we both feel the :spyder2: is more visible, safer and tons of fun! Can't go anywhere without getting :2thumbs: from people as well as tons of questions. (Hope you are ready for that). Good luck on whatever decision you make! Keep us all posted!

SpyderAnn01
07-05-2011, 05:48 PM
:welcome: as AK said the people who feel that the Spyder feels unsafe or bumpy at higher speeds are the newbies who are hanging on with a death grip. Whether I am going 80 on the expressway or riding the twisties I feel totally comfortable.

retiredsquid
07-05-2011, 06:25 PM
My wife and I just finished a 1,600 mile trip on our 2011 Limited. The Corbin seat was worth every dime. We fought wind both directions. Elka shocks would have made the ride so much more comfortable -- that is now corrected with new Elka shocks.

Cruising at 75-80mph is a piece of cake now. I would really appreciate quieter exhaust, too.

I would make the same purchase again, but would have driven the distance to Cowtown to get it and trailer.

dilyles
07-06-2011, 08:16 AM
:welcome: I am a first time owner and ryder of a 2011 Limited. I love it! I was always the passenger on my hubby's HD but now I have freedom. Once you get used to the handling and release the death grip the :spyder2:rydes and runs great! When we go on long trips the hubby drives and I am back to being a passenger but I'm a comfortable passenger. I've even fallen asleep a couple of time. :yikes:I need a seat belt. :roflblack: You will not regret the purchase of the Spyder but keep in mind it doesn't "drive" like a motorcycle and you will have to adjust to that. You can't beat it for the stability and the comfort, from 0 -80. (I haven't been over 80:D)

gfrances12
07-08-2011, 04:14 PM
Thank you all who responded. Going to take a test drive on one this weekend. Knowing the wife and I, if we like, I'll likely be on 3 wheels instead of 2 in no time.

Ride Safe.
Gerald

SpyderWolf
07-08-2011, 04:59 PM
Thank you all who responded. Going to take a test drive on one this weekend. Knowing the wife and I, if we like, I'll likely be on 3 wheels instead of 2 in no time.

Ride Safe.
Gerald

:welcome:

Keep a very light grip on the handlebars. The Spyder will track perfectly without much input from you at all. If you grip the bars and work them like you do on your Harley, you will feel that the Spyder is wobbly and walks back and forth down the road. :D As others stated, you will get used to it and be very comfortable in no time, but it will help to be aware of it before your test drive.

Have a great time, and ryde safe. :thumbup:

vt228
07-08-2011, 05:20 PM
well on highway at 75 it is like heaven people look at your:spyder: and going rt to left is like gliding on air injoy it ...and no your in our family know so welcome:clap:

:welcome::congrats::welcome: