PDA

View Full Version : Spyder Fires

Questions
07-04-2011, 05:55 PM
Hello from New Mexico, I am new to the site and don't have a Spyder yet but am looking. Right now I am trying to learn as much as I can about them. I keep seeing pictures of burnt Spyders and did a search to find out the main cause (gas DUH) but haven't had any luck with the search. Are these mainly refueling accidents or poor maint. ?:dontknow: I will continue to lurk and learn and hope to have a good reason to join in, in the future. Dave

tweeder
07-04-2011, 06:36 PM
BRP has been tight lipped about this but they have issued a software update and a longer vent hose. Some people speculate that the update was a cover for the link to the fires. Others speculate that the evaporative canister is the culperate and have done the "canisterectomy" myself included. They're have been a few instances where people have noticed there hose clamps loose and leaking at the fuel filter.

BajaRon
07-04-2011, 06:50 PM
Hello from New Mexico, I am new to the site and don't have a Spyder yet but am looking. Right now I am trying to learn as much as I can about them. I keep seeing pictures of burnt Spyders and did a search to find out the main cause (gas DUH) but haven't had any luck with the search. Are these mainly refueling accidents or poor maint. ?:dontknow: I will continue to lurk and learn and hope to have a good reason to join in, in the future. Dave

I don't think there is much doubt that at least most of the fires (there were not that many) were fuel related.

As stated above, some found bad fuel line connections (which get my vote) and there were possible issues with the valve that regulates vapor release in the fuel vapor canister.

Both of these issues were address by BRP and there have not (to my knowledge) been any unexplained 'Spontanious' Spyder fires in quite some time.

I would say this one has evolved into old news, non-issue status.

ARtraveler
07-04-2011, 09:21 PM
:agree:with BajaRon. Have not heard much of anything about Spyder fires recently. Old news--non issue, seems to be the current situation.