PDA

View Full Version : DEAD

CincySpyder
07-03-2011, 04:49 PM
Went to the Newport Motorcycle rally, backed the spyder on a slight hill and shut it off in reverse. came back to leave and could not start the spyder. turn it on and nothing happens. sometimes the dash cycles but when i put my foot on the brake and press start it goes dead. i was stuck out till two in the morning. first i called my BEST roadside assistance and they sent out a motorcycle mechanic 45 mins later and i don't know who the other guy was. couldn't get it started but manually took it out of reverse. said there was nothing they could do. called BEST again to get a tow waited 45 mins to get it towed to my house. now (since it is the holiday) i am gonna have to wait till tues to get it towed to Pleasant Valley Marine they have always treated me right. i have already had the dash replaced once hope that isn't the problem:(
Just had to let people know of my experience with BEST
Anybody got any clue of a minor fix i might try?:dontknow:

MMcc
07-03-2011, 04:59 PM
Check the battery connections and make sure the battery is charged.

max continuous
07-03-2011, 04:59 PM
Sorry to hear about your troubles.
I thought a 45 min. response time was pretty good actually.
Hope you get up and running soon.
Max

LennyO
07-03-2011, 05:02 PM
Main ground connection?

CincySpyder
07-03-2011, 06:21 PM
connections look good, battery at 100%, could it be those relays?

CyncySpyder
07-03-2011, 06:37 PM
Sorry to hear about your troubles. Teddy & I just left the MC Rally ourselves, saw another silver RS there, but not the owner.

I highly suggest Middletown Cycle up in Middletown off of I75 instead of PVM. Aarron is the owner, had it a few years now & is really turning the business around & will do what he can to earn your business if you give him the chance.

If there's anything Teddy & I can do to help, just let us know. Locals gotta take care of each other:thumbup:

lightman02
07-04-2011, 05:50 AM
connections look good, battery at 100%, could it be those relays?

Could be a relay but I had my battery on the voltage tester test fine but the bike would not start. It did the same type of thing yours did, changed the battery and all has been good for over a year. Not saying its def your battery but the stock Yuasa batterys are crap, I have 3 other power sports machines that use them and they all failed. I went with the Odyssey batteries on all my stuff and I will never look back.

bjt
07-04-2011, 06:11 AM
Could be a relay but I had my battery on the voltage tester test fine but the bike would not start. It did the same type of thing yours did, changed the battery and all has been good for over a year. Not saying its def your battery but the stock Yuasa batterys are crap, I have 3 other power sports machines that use them and they all failed. I went with the Odyssey batteries on all my stuff and I will never look back.

A voltage test on a battery can only indicate that a battery might be good or is definitely bad. A load test is the better way to tell if a battery is good. That monitors the battery voltage while its put under a load to see if it still is supplying enough voltage to crank the engine.

Lamonster
07-04-2011, 06:19 AM
:agree:
Sounds like a bad connection or a shorted out battery.

tweeder
07-04-2011, 10:29 AM
I agree check the voltage. I can't remember the number but I think I was told that the spyder needs at least 12.4v to fire up. My battery was shown 12.2 and I had to replace it, but I did keep it as a spare for the jetski or quad.

CincySpyder
07-05-2011, 03:17 PM
well after 5 minutes and a $110 dollar tow bill it turned out to be some corrosion on the positive connection on the battery..oh well lesson learned I also got an update done at the shop while i was there..at least Nationwide is paying $100 dollars of my tow bill..thank god for insurance.

Lamonster
07-05-2011, 03:28 PM
well after 5 minutes and a $110 dollar tow bill it turned out to be some corrosion on the positive connection on the battery..oh well lesson learned I also got an update done at the shop while i was there..at least Nationwide is paying $100 dollars of my tow bill..thank god for insurance.
:thumbup:
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=344931&postcount=9
Check the easy stuff first. :doorag:

FlynBryan
07-05-2011, 08:14 PM

I am the one that worked on your spyder today. I am glad it was an easy fix. Later

CincySpyder
07-05-2011, 08:30 PM
Thanks for getting on it right away. She runs as good as new. the wife can not wait to take her for a spin.