PDA

View Full Version : Fuse box tap? Accessory Power

Spyder2780
07-02-2011, 08:47 AM
Hi all....I need to find a 12v keyed ignition source to power my amp. I dont want to positap anything as I would like to be able to return everything as it was stock if I were to remove it from the vehicle and I dont want to draw more amps off a current circuit just in case the amp malfunctions I dont want to lose any other OEM function. Iwas looking at the fuse box and it looks like there is a 3amp switched accessory. Does anyone kno what that is used for or is it open for use? What about the wires coming out the back, where do they lead to? how do i connect to a fuse? Also, what about the optional foglights circuit. I do not have foglights so is this open as well? I could also get a secondary box for the accessories but how do i tie that into the fuse panel? I could just put the wire under the fuse but i would hav to leave the cover off and I notied that the OEM box is sealed? Any help is appreciated...Thanks!!

NancysToy
07-02-2011, 10:17 AM
I would be surprised if your amp would run reliably off a 3 amp circuit. For more amperage, you would have to install an auxiliary fuse block which was relay enabled. That would still require a switched power source to trigger the relay, however.

The switched accessory circuit on the RS feeds a harness that is meant to power the optional 12V outlet in the trunk. The harness is typically tied to the upper front left suspension bracket. It may be able to be accessed through the left wheelwell, but is most easily accessed with the trunk removed. The wires in this harness are violet/orange, 20 ga. To enable the harness install a 3 amp fuse in the "Switched Accessories" location in the fusebox.

There also is an unswitched accessory circuit. This harness is usually tied near in the center, near the steering and trunk latch. The wires are violet/yellow, 20 ga. To enable, install a 3 amp fuse in the "Unswitched Accessories" slot in the fuse box.

retread
07-02-2011, 05:35 PM
:agree: with Scotty, you'll need an auxillary fuse block to power your amp, either that, or a fused line with a relay in it direct from the battery. What I don't understand is you not wanting to use PosiTaps, they aren't permanent, the hole the make in the insulation heals when the tap is removed. You may be thinking of Scotch Locks, the blue clamshell taps that tend to cut wire and insulation and do permanent damage.

john

Spyder2780
07-02-2011, 09:09 PM
yes, I am thinking of the clamshell type. I'll check out the positap. Also, I am not powering the amp, just using it for the 12v remote turn on. I have it being powered directly from the battery. I want to add an auxillary block so that I can run lighting, etc...

NancysToy
07-02-2011, 09:30 PM
yes, I am thinking of the clamshell type. I'll check out the positap. Also, I am not powering the amp, just using it for the 12v remote turn on. I have it being powered directly from the battery. I want to add an auxillary block so that I can run lighting, etc...
I'd tap the violet/orange 20 ga. wire on the switched accessory harness then. As I said, you may be able to reach it through the left wheelwell. You could also remove the trunk. You might be able to find the wires beneath the fusebox, too. Positaps are a good way to go, but be sure to get the correct size for the wires.

jnt
07-03-2011, 08:47 PM
When we were starting farkleisation of ours, there was a vendor who had a fuse block that plugged into an open circuit in the fusebox under the seat - brake side. Came pre-wired with a plug that fit the block and enuf wire to reach all the way forward.

Can't find the info, nor the original order. Anyone?

F O U N D I T ! ! !

Evoluzione.net look under can-am

Questions
07-06-2011, 09:03 PM
When we were starting farkleisation of ours, there was a vendor who had a fuse block that plugged into an open circuit in the fusebox under the seat - brake side. Came pre-wired with a plug that fit the block and enuf wire to reach all the way forward.

Can't find the info, nor the original order. Anyone?

F O U N D I T ! ! !

Evoluzione.net look under can-am

Hmm, took a look at their site and I don't find what you are mentioning. Any chance you can point me in the right direction? I am looking to add some lighting and would like to get an accy fuse block.

jnt
07-07-2011, 02:35 PM
Oops. Site changed.

Try http://www.customdynamics.com/can_am_spyder_evoluzione.htm

included instructions are VERY clear.

Questions
07-07-2011, 07:18 PM
Oops. Site changed.

Try http://www.customdynamics.com/can_am_spyder_evoluzione.htm

included instructions are VERY clear.

Ahh, sweet. Thank you! Damn modding this thing is fun!