PDA

View Full Version : HiWay Pegs or Floorboards

3pod
06-27-2011, 09:17 PM
My 2011 RT Limited riders footrest does not seem that comfortable when going 100 miles or more. I'd like to be able to move my foot . I'm wondering which would servie my purpose better. Should I just add Hi Way pegs to stretch out occasionally or would a floorboard such as Seal Floorboards ( stretch & more width ) be a better choice? Since I know a lot of you ride on long trips please give me your opinions and why.

Osteoarthritis plagues my knees so movement helps to eleviate the problem. Any help will be appreciated.

Y Rider
06-27-2011, 09:34 PM
I am 6' 1" and I too get cramped with the stock foot pegs during longer rides. Although I like the pegs because it allows me to rotate my ankles up and down I can't stretch out. So I added the Kewlmetal highway pegs and use the short extentions angled down and to the front with the Kuryakyn ISO wings. This lets me really stretch out. However, because to the mounting method, although very secure, induces some vibrations to the foot pegs. I only notice this at RPMs below 5000. I can cruise at highway speeds and they work out great.

I looked into the Seal floorboards but they didn't allow me to stretch out much although I did like the concept.

stillriding
06-28-2011, 05:38 AM
My 2011 RT Limited riders footrest does not seem that comfortable when going 100 miles or more. I'd like to be able to move my foot . I'm wondering which would servie my purpose better. Should I just add Hi Way pegs to stretch out occasionally or would a floorboard such as Seal Floorboards ( stretch & more width ) be a better choice? Since I know a lot of you ride on long trips please give me your opinions and why.

Osteoarthritis plagues my knees so movement helps to eleviate the problem. Any help will be appreciated.

I've been riding with Seal Floorboards for over a year and enjoy the freedom of being able to stretch out. Some pegs or boards may move your feet too far outward placing stress on the back.

clueless
06-28-2011, 08:11 AM
I am 6' 1" and I too get cramped with the stock foot pegs during longer rides. Although I like the pegs because it allows me to rotate my ankles up and down I can't stretch out. So I added the Kewlmetal highway pegs and use the short extentions angled down and to the front with the Kuryakyn ISO wings. This lets me really stretch out. However, because to the mounting method, although very secure, induces some vibrations to the foot pegs. I only notice this at RPMs below 5000. I can cruise at highway speeds and they work out great.

I looked into the Seal floorboards but they didn't allow me to stretch out much although I did like the concept.

did you have the engine bolt clearance done on your spyder RT .... assume you have a 2010 RT? with the engine vibration fix I get hardly any vibartion in my Kewlmetal HW pegs. Using Harley Pegs and Peg mount in mine...

Airfoil SMALL footpegs. have them with the shot extentions just above and back of spyder footpegs. that way can just roll toe over to hw pegs and be able to get back on foot brake quickly.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/media/images/productphotos/PNA/50133_95_M_8233.jpg

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/gma_product.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=84552444184591 1&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374309403677&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374309403677&locale=en_US&bmUID=1309266580199&bmLocale=en_US

sealfloorboards
06-28-2011, 10:16 AM

I have the same knee problems. When I'm on the long haul, I put my feet all the way out and rest them on the top of the FloorBoards. I'm out as far as any foot peg I know of. I also have the advantage of the large, wide FloorBoard for the majority of my riding.

Ride in comfort,

John
Seal FloorBoards

IWN2RYD
06-28-2011, 12:25 PM
We have used several different pegs and floorboards. To be brutally honest...

I have to say that Pegs and Floorboards are two very different items with very different needs being fulfilled.

Pegs only offer limited use once finding the sweet-spot for your needs.

Most Floorboards offer a lot of movement in the normal seating position, but do not allow to stretch.

Not to mention we all have similar but different aches and pains at different angles. Creating different needs.

And most importantly, many of us are refreshed and sit upright when testing them for adjustment when first mounting them. Well I can say after 150 miles I am no longer sitting in the same position I was originally, and come to find out I need Pegs and Floorboards in order to not have my hip and knees yelling at me. So a lot of adjustments are needed to find the perfect solution.

Oh, and then in many of our situations we have a "Boss" that likes to drive and have to find ways for those to be adjusted for them :shemademe_smilie:

That brings me the the Seal Floorboards. They do offer both. This allows for different seating positions and countless options for the knees.

That said. I was originally not fond of the Seal version. I met John (Owner of Seal Floorboards) and got to see them first hand. ALl I can say is the photos online do not do these any justice. They offer far more flexibility than any other "Foot rest" out there for the Spyders.

Personally I do plan to get a set later this year because I got to see them and put them to use.

Bottom line. It would be in your best interest to try as many that others have, as possible before making your purchase decision. Some get lucky right off the bat with the perfect solution, others keep trying (Like me). I recommend going on a few "Bike" rydes with fellow Spyder owners that have the type of units you have in mind, and after the first tank of gas, sit on them. See what your body responds to the best. :thumbup: