PDA

View Full Version : Squealing noise

KyleKruko44
06-25-2011, 10:53 AM
The other week I let my dad take out the :spyder2:for Fathers day. When he took off down the road I noticed a high pitched squealing noise as he accelerated down the road. I thought maybe he was riding the brake and didnt realize it so I had him take off again to make sure that wasnt the case. Still made the noise though. Any ideas? Its a 2011 RSS with 500 miles on it.

BajaRon
06-25-2011, 11:04 AM
The other week I let my dad take out the :spyder2:for Fathers day. When he took off down the road I noticed a high pitched squealing noise as he accelerated down the road. I thought maybe he was riding the brake and didnt realize it so I had him take off again to make sure that wasnt the case. Still made the noise though. Any ideas? Its a 2011 RSS with 500 miles on it.

Parking brake not fully released?

Belt drive up against the rear pulley?

Hearing aid turned up too high? :D

Sorry just couldn't resist! Just shooting in the dark here.

thehawk
06-25-2011, 11:27 AM
... a normal reaction to the Best Father's Day present EVER ... getting to drive a spider!!!

Weave2u
06-25-2011, 01:47 PM
I have a squeeling/rubbing sound that is for sure the brakes. Even when they aren't engaged, they rub. It stopped for a while, then I took my little baby in for her first checkup and they adjusted the brakes back to spec and the rubbing/squeeling came back. :pray: I hope it stops again soon. Another issue I have, which is not on-topic, is the odor of gas, especially after a fillup. The dealer told me that all their stock of Spyders has the same odor, but offered to tear it down (under warrantee). I needed it, so I decided to forgo that.

I'll follow :popcorn: this thread to find out what you find out :spyder:

:f_spider: on!

BajaRon
06-25-2011, 02:28 PM
I have a squeeling/rubbing sound that is for sure the brakes. Even when they aren't engaged, they rub. It stopped for a while, then I took my little baby in for her first checkup and they adjusted the brakes back to spec and the rubbing/squeeling came back. :pray: I hope it stops again soon. Another issue I have, which is not on-topic, is the odor of gas, especially after a fillup. The dealer told me that all their stock of Spyders has the same odor, but offered to tear it down (under warrantee). I needed it, so I decided to forgo that.

I'll follow :popcorn: this thread to find out what you find out :spyder:

:f_spider: on!

My guess is the mechanic adjusted your Parking Brake a bit too tight. Just a little tight doesn't really hurt anything (except you may get a bit of noise) and it will stay adjusted longer that way avoiding the WAY out of adjustment issue you can run into.

Weave2u
06-25-2011, 04:59 PM
My guess is the mechanic adjusted your Parking Brake a bit too tight. Just a little tight doesn't really hurt anything (except you may get a bit of noise) and it will stay adjusted longer that way avoiding the WAY out of adjustment issue you can run into.

I'm guessing he put it back to spec since it was originally like that, and the parking break was stiff when I first bought it and again after the tech worked on it. LOL...I've got the bruised shin to show for it :roflblack:

BajaRon
06-25-2011, 05:03 PM
I'm guessing he put it back to spec since it was originally like that, and the parking break was stiff when I first bought it and again after the tech worked on it. LOL...I've got the bruised shin to show for it :roflblack:

There is book spec. and shop spec. Book spec. is designed to keep engineers happy, shop spec. is designed to keep the customer happy. Neither works all the time.

It's not difficult to back the P-Brake off a bit, or just go for a ride and HAMMER the brakes several times.

Weave2u
06-25-2011, 06:05 PM
It's not difficult to back the P-Brake off a bit, or just go for a ride and HAMMER the brakes several times.

:roflblack: I think that is the preferred method.... :roflblack:

obiwanbill
06-25-2011, 07:40 PM
mine squeals when backing up (?)

AY4B
04-15-2016, 10:47 AM
I have just noticed a brake squeal at very low speed and it sounds like its only on one side of the disc. I did do the rear tire removal and re install when I got my new tire recently. Im wondering if I did something wrong. Maybe the wheel needs alignment and belt tentioning.

missouriboy
04-15-2016, 01:06 PM
I noticed a high pitched squealing noise as he accelerated down the road. Any ideas? Its a 2011 RSS with 500 miles on it.You said "accelerated." My 2012 did that a lot, but only under positive load (acceleration and/or a steady pull). It sounded metallic in nature, but it was only the belt squealing. I had to then grease it at least once a month, and this stopped the squeal but never cured the problem, which I think just happened to be the particular belt material on some number of belts, but not all of them.

Procedure: lay about a 2-inch-long bead of grease down the center of the rear sprocket cogs. Then rotate the wheel 1/2 turn, and lay another bead on the opposite side. Drive normally, and the sprocket distributes the grease all over the belt. The squeal stops almost immediately.

It worked for me! YMMV.

missouriboy
04-15-2016, 01:18 PM
Hey AY4B (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/member.php?16328-AY4B) ! How did we get hooked into answering a 5-year-old thread? :opps::sour:

ARtraveler
04-15-2016, 01:27 PM
Hey AY4B (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/member.php?16328-AY4B) ! How did we get hooked into answering a 5-year-old thread? :opps::sour:

Many of us have been there, done that, and have a T-shirt to prove it. :roflblack::roflblack: Squeals were an early issue on the 2008 and 2009's. Glad we don't hear about them much these days.

AY4B
04-15-2016, 02:48 PM
I was not around here 5 years ago. I was still riding my Tour Deluxe.