PDA

View Full Version : Let the mods begin!

smileyface2934
06-23-2011, 10:36 AM
Just took my spyder in for its first service and HID headlights. What to do next? :f_spider::2excited:

Bob Denman
06-23-2011, 10:53 AM
Mods are just like peanuts; almost impossible to stip after only one! :shocked: You might as well have your paychecks forwarded directly to the dealer until the well runs dry... :roflblack:
Which model do you have? If you have an RT limted, the list of mods is way different than for an RS... but probably no cheaper! :D

smileyface2934
06-24-2011, 11:15 AM
RS SM5 :clap:

SpyderWolf
06-25-2011, 09:28 AM
:welcome:

The available options are almost limitless, based on what you want to do to make your Spyder yours. Comfort, Safety, Performance, there are things you can do for each of these areas. The biggest question is what are you interested in doing next? :D

Old Jack
06-25-2011, 03:31 PM
1) Head Light Modulator (Daytime Safety) Use one on all my bikes and have saved my butt many times. They really see you coming. I never leave home without one.
2) Anti Sway Bar (Handling) worth every penny
3) Etc, etc, etc. until you run out of money.

TheKid
06-25-2011, 03:50 PM
This may be a dumb question but what does the anti sway bar do?

SpyderWolf
06-25-2011, 04:21 PM
This may be a dumb question but what does the anti sway bar do?

It helps make the Spyder corner like it is on rails, a very good handling improvement. :thumbup:

TheKid
06-25-2011, 10:13 PM
Ahh thanks!

jimclarkf1
06-25-2011, 10:49 PM
I would like to recommend the 4in risers, and the mirror extensions, they really made it nice on the hwys:clap:

smileyface2934
06-27-2011, 09:50 AM
I definitely want a new seat, but I haven't decided on which one yet. Any suggestions would be helpful. And I've got to get something on the tank to protect it from scratches. I don't want to go crazy with a full skin since I went to the trouble of getting the bike shipped from Texas just to get the color I wanted, but I'm thinking of getting one piece of graphic skin and doing the tank area. Also, any suggestions on the heat from the exhaust??? I thought I had melted my shoe coming back from Maggie Valley last weekend!!!

Spydermimi
06-27-2011, 10:11 AM
I would like an answer to the heat from the exhaust, also. I live in El Paso where the temp has been 108!!!:gaah: so have had to cut back on riding my new gorgeous bike until we get a break in heat index but the last time I rode, about 100 miles round trip I really noticed burning on my foot like never before, my husband says it is normal and that most bikes put out that kind of heat in this weather but it was pretty uncomfortable, BUT, love my Spyder and plan on riding in Colorado for about 2 weeks beginning of Sept!!:ohyea:
Has anyone put a heat deflector on their Spyder? and did it seem to help?

retread
06-27-2011, 10:32 AM
:welcome:
For heat, check Repops, a site sponsor.
For seat, it depends on what you want, how much you're willing to spend.
There is the comfort seat from BRP, lots of people like it. If there is a custom seat shop near you, they can modify yours. Then there's Corbin, Russell, and Ultimate, if someone near you has one, ask if you can try it. Not to be too blunt, let your butt choose. I went with a Russell, and would do it again.

john

TheKid
06-27-2011, 03:53 PM
So after putting 3k miles on my stock muffler I swapped it out for a Two Brothers single can. OMG is that thing loud! I don't think I'll be able to sneak out of my neighborhood at 5am for work anymore :~\

stevedfive
06-27-2011, 04:53 PM
Today, I am suppose to get back my handlebars, GPS mount, side panels, passenger floorboards, foot pegs, and exhaust tips that I had powder coated black for my silver RT. Can' wait!

sealfloorboards
06-27-2011, 05:08 PM
If your looking to improve your seating position (more upright, cruiser style) I put 5" heliBar risers, a 25" windshield and Seal FloorBoards so I could vary my seating position and flex my knees. Have fun with your Mods.

Ride in comfort,

John
Seal FloorBoards

SpyderWolf
06-27-2011, 08:45 PM
The best advice I can give about a seat is to find some other Spyder owners with different seats that you can sit on and check out for yourself. Some find the stock seat is more than adequate, while I had to have the comfort seat to solve some issues for me. I really like my comfort seat, and don't feel like I need anything else at this time.

Exhaust heat can be managed a few ways. As stated above, SpyderPops has some good products that will do the trick. I am running the Missing Air Dam (MAD), and the Air Management System. The MAD helps the engine run cooler while moving, and the Air Management System helps keep most of the heat off your right foot. I have also wrapped my exhaust headers as well.