PDA

View Full Version : Mileage check

Idaspud
06-18-2011, 08:38 AM
I along with a friend are planing a trip to The tail of the Dragon in Sept.So I wanted to know just how far a tank of gas will take me on my 2011 RTS SE5 . I CALLED BRP customer service and asked how much fuel is left in the tank when the low fuel light light comes on and was told about 1.3 gallons left in the tank. So in order to check this out I did the following. When low fuel light came on I had gone about 167.3 miles, so I continued till fuel ran out and engine stopped at 202.4 miles. A total of 35.1 miles after low fuel light came on. I carry a Reda 1 gallon gas can with me for this check drove about 1/2 mile to gas station and put in 5.060 gallons in the tank. With the gallon from the Reda gas can makes a total of 6.06 gallons that the tank will hold just like what is claimed by BRP. So now I know and will drive my trip accordingly. I have owned my RTS for just a little over 2 months now an have 3,067 miles on the clock. I hope that this information is helpful to some of you. Many happy miles to all of you.

spyder3
06-18-2011, 08:49 AM
Thanks for that info. I am in the process of checking out how far i can actually go also. My gas light comes on much earlier however, usually around the 120 miles mark. Then it takes 4.5.:dontknow:

Last night my best MPG to date was 35.84/

john

IWN2RYD
06-18-2011, 09:00 AM
:agree: Right there with you... Mine comes on from 112 to 125 miles into a tank... We then ryde usually another 20 miles and end up putting 4.2 to 4.6 gallons in nearly every single time.

Euripedes Neves
06-18-2011, 10:20 AM
I along with a friend are planing a trip to The tail of the Dragon in Sept.So I wanted to know just how far a tank of gas will take me on my 2011 RTS SE5 . I CALLED BRP customer service and asked how much fuel is left in the tank when the low fuel light light comes on and was told about 1.3 gallons left in the tank. So in order to check this out I did the following. When low fuel light came on I had gone about 167.3 miles, so I continued till fuel ran out and engine stopped at 202.4 miles. A total of 35.1 miles after low fuel light came on. I carry a Reda 1 gallon gas can with me for this check drove about 1/2 mile to gas station and put in 5.060 gallons in the tank. With the gallon from the Reda gas can makes a total of 6.06 gallons that the tank will hold just like what is claimed by BRP. So now I know and will drive my trip accordingly. I have owned my RTS for just a little over 2 months now an have 3,067 miles on the clock. I hope that this information is helpful to some of you. Many happy miles to all of you. My wife and I gone to Dragons tail last year in july, and this year end of march. first time we done 2000 mls w/ 55 gls of gas, this year we had the trailer and we done 1850 mls w/ 61 gls of gas not bad. very good trip. good lock. any questions? go a had.

cyclekat
06-18-2011, 07:00 PM
This was a VERY helpful thread! My RT-S is only 5 days old, but I had to put more gas in right around 115 miles this week. Since it is in the "break-in" period, I'm hoping things will settle and the mileage will improve after a few hundred miles. On my old cruiser, I could clearly see into the gas tank to determine how much more fuel to add, but this gas tank is dark and I followed the directions to not fill it after the pump shut off.

boborgera
06-18-2011, 08:06 PM
This was a VERY helpful thread! My RT-S is only 5 days old, but I had to put more gas in right around 115 miles this week. Since it is in the "break-in" period, I'm hoping things will settle and the mileage will improve after a few hundred miles. On my old cruiser, I could clearly see into the gas tank to determine how much more fuel to add, but this gas tank is dark and I followed the directions to not fill it after the pump shut off.

If you pull the nozzle out a little while filling up, you can add another 20/25 miles before the low light comes on with out over filling.

spyder3
06-18-2011, 09:05 PM
If you pull the nozzle out a little while filling up, you can add another 20/25 miles before the low light comes on with out over filling.

I've done that a couple of of times, and my spyder would stall out at the first stop. Then it would be fine, i just figured i put too much in:dontknow: