PDA

View Full Version : More on Ethanol

Brunswick
06-16-2011, 05:11 PM
OK, so does this mean there is any hope that this will lead them to start taking that crap out of our gasoline? At least it's a start, right?
http://content.usatoday.com/communities/ondeadline/post/2011/06/senate-votes-to-end-ethanol-subsidies/1

wolfeman
06-16-2011, 05:31 PM
I'd rather give my money to American farmers, than to give it to Arabs that would rather blow us up than sell us oil.

MouthPiece
06-16-2011, 06:17 PM
Actually, and I'm not sure which govt. agency pronounced this, but it has been "OKed" to have 15% of that crap put in our gas.

Chris PE# 0004

DougB
06-16-2011, 06:44 PM
THEY'LL MAKE MORE MONEY AT 15% CUZ WE'LL ALL BE BUYING STARTRON ADDITIVE TO COUNTERACT THE ETHANOL

ataDude
06-16-2011, 06:55 PM
Until they overturn the regulations actually requiring the addition of ethanol to gas, the only thing it means is that the price of gasoline will go up.

OK, so does this mean there is any hope that this will lead them to start taking that crap out of our gasoline? At least it's a start, right?
http://content.usatoday.com/communities/ondeadline/post/2011/06/senate-votes-to-end-ethanol-subsidies/1

Brunswick
06-16-2011, 07:18 PM
I'd rather give my money to American farmers, than to give it to Arabs that would rather blow us up than sell us oil.

Then I suggest you go hand the money directly to them. Putting corn-based ethanol is gas just stupid all the way around. More energy is used in refining the ethanol than it produces, and it lowers fuel economy. Thus it doesn't really do anything to reduce our dependence on foreign oil. Plus it is an inefficient use of resources which ends up driving up food prices because corn is used to produce ethanol and farmers devote less land to other crops to take advantage of the corn subsidies. The movement to end ethanol subsidies is championed by both left-wing environmentalists and right-wing free-market advocates. Why? Because it just plain makes sense to anyone not on the take from the big evil corn lobby. IMHO...

boborgera
06-16-2011, 07:32 PM
Then I suggest you go hand the money directly to them. Putting corn-based ethanol is gas just stupid all the way around. More energy is used in refining the ethanol than it produces, and it lowers fuel economy. Thus it doesn't really do anything to reduce our dependence on foreign oil. Plus it is an inefficient use of resources which ends up driving up food prices because corn is used to produce ethanol and farmers devote less land to other crops to take advantage of the corn subsidies. The movement to end ethanol subsidies is championed by both left-wing environmentalists and right-wing free-market advocates. Why? Because it just plain makes sense to anyone not on the take from the big evil corn lobby. IMHO...

:agree: To put it simple, To grow food [corn] to put in gas tanks is down right Stupid.:gaah:

johnnyrocket
06-16-2011, 08:00 PM
:agree:
:agree: To put it simple, To grow food [corn] to put in gas tanks is down right Stupid.:gaah:
:agree:

Havasu Rider
06-16-2011, 10:16 PM
I agree with Doug B, about Starthon. I started using it a few months ago and the Spyder runs better and my mileage went up 2-3 mpg. Great stuff.

pjp623
06-17-2011, 06:10 AM
:agree: Gosoline engines were not designed to run on corn!

Bob Denman
06-17-2011, 06:44 AM
So... Do we send our cash to the Middle East for oil, or to Iowa for corn?? :dontknow: