PDA

View Full Version : RT panels off and on- video

Lamonster
06-15-2011, 08:58 PM
I had to do a little work on Freds RT so I thought this might be a good time to shoot a video of what it takes to get them off and on. :doorag:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcO3tDUltQA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSk0CIV-Oro

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Jnb2PURkkY

MarkLawson
06-15-2011, 09:17 PM
I never noticed the little tabs on the bottom of the first panel you installed. I wonder if they're there & I just missed them (had both sides apart this past weekend), or if they were not on the 2010 model. There is no push pin on that same panel on the 2010.

Good videos. Thanks!

Lamonster
06-15-2011, 09:30 PM
I never noticed the little tabs on the bottom of the first panel you installed. I wonder if they're there & I just missed them (had both sides apart this past weekend), or if they were not on the 2010 model. There is no push pin on that same panel on the 2010.

Good videos. Thanks!
They are on my 2010 RT and there is a push pin there too. Maybe yours is special. :dontknow:

Badazzspydee
06-15-2011, 10:46 PM
That was very helpful Lamont. I wish the audio on the first video had been better but a picture is worth a thousand words. :2thumbs:

Lamonster
06-16-2011, 02:45 AM
That was very helpful Lamont. I wish the audio on the first video had been better but a picture is worth a thousand words. :2thumbs:
I'm still getting use to this camera. I'll crank it up next time. :doorag:

fastfraser
06-16-2011, 04:36 AM
The panels come off, and I thought my dealer had a special elf that just got in under the tupperware and fixed things.:roflblack:

Man do I know the panels come off ! Try and put some of the chrome stuff on without takeing panels off .

Lamonster
06-16-2011, 04:40 AM
The panels come off, and I thought my dealer had a special elf that just got in under the tupperware and fixed things.:roflblack:

Man do I know the panels come off ! Try and put some of the chrome stuff on without takeing panels off .
It's a lot of fun isn't it. :2thumbs:

Vyperyder
06-16-2011, 06:08 AM
You da man!!!! :clap: :bowdown:
I am going to have to pull most of the panels off to instal the CB and GPS and your vids have clarified a few things.
The mirrors are like the Beemer ones on the 1150RT...good to know. It's still a heart stopper when you first hit that mirror to release it. :yikes:
Even when you have the diagrams and the service manual I guess you just follow the panel around and remove what is obviously holding it down.
But the clips are good to know and the sequence is all important.
Thanks a heap. :2thumbs:
Cheers
Pete

Lamonster
06-16-2011, 06:14 AM
You da man!!!! :clap: :bowdown:
I am going to have to pull most of the panels off to instal the CB and GPS and your vids have clarified a few things.
The mirrors are like the Beemer ones on the 1150RT...good to know. It's still a heart stopper when you first hit that mirror to release it. :yikes:
Even when you have the diagrams and the service manual I guess you just follow the panel around and remove what is obviously holding it down.
But the clips are good to know and the sequence is all important.
Thanks a heap. :2thumbs:
Cheers
Pete

Glad to help. It's like anything, the first time you do it you're not sure if you're going to break something but after that it's no big deal, plus it wasn't my RT so what do I care. :joke:

clueless
06-16-2011, 07:32 AM
fun is putting all the panels on and finding ONE bolt left in the side trunk that bounced out into the hinge area... (that's where I put them to hold them when taking off the side panels...
eeek!!!

found one bolt .... had to take off the top two panels to get to the one bolt on the bottom side panel i forgot to put on ...

PeacefulBen
06-16-2011, 07:39 AM
Glad to help. It's like anything, the first time you do it you're not sure if you're going to break something but after that it's no big deal, plus it wasn't my RT so what do I care. :joke:

:agree:SInce I have removed my panels several times, my friends come to me for assistance. Popping those mirrors off of their :spyder2:, always scares the :cus: out of 'em. Of course I have to act like I broke 'em:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

BLUE MULE
06-16-2011, 10:12 AM
Lamont,

Just wanted to say thanks for all your great videos and tutorials. I'm not the most mechanically inclined person, but when I watch how easy you make it look I go from " I can do that.....?" to "I CAN DO THAT!" Keep up the great work that you do here and keep those videos coming! Some of us need the :helpsmilie:!

acinpcola
06-16-2011, 10:32 AM
:agree::2thumbs: Thanks for the vids Lamont. I will be installing the frunk power port and an air horn - may even tackle the trailer hitch, time will tell

Be Safe
AC:spyder2:

Hawk
06-16-2011, 12:58 PM
This was right on time!! I was going to have the dealer install my nuvo 660 today. They called and said that the mount kit does not have all the wires that is needed to do the install. So I will be installing it myself tonight so I can use it for the trip to Maggie Valley tomorrow!!!! Thanks for this!!!!!

Should Make This A STICKY!!!

redlightron
06-16-2011, 09:34 PM
Very helpful, but you make it look so simple.:bowdown:

MarkLawson
06-16-2011, 10:48 PM
They are on my 2010 RT and there is a push pin there too. Maybe yours is special. :dontknow:

You're absolutely right! (Mine is special!)

t64507
06-17-2011, 04:14 AM
thanks for the how too

but i have a ? i just got my bike the 600 mile sevice and my left bottem panel is lose so i pulled it off it has 2 rubber gaskets that the pins go in
should it have 3?
what im trying to say theres 3 pins but my back pin theres no ruber there just a hole
did the dealer lose it or ?
the only reason i seen it was i read on the fourms here about people losing theres after a service so i checked and it was barlly hanging on

srry i type like sh.. hands to dam bigg

packbuckbrew
06-21-2011, 10:35 AM
My biggest problem is getting the tabs on the front of the side panels in the right place. I was installing scuff guards yesterday and could not get the tabs to engage. Lamont, is there a trick to getting those side panels back on correctly, I do not want to lose one on the road.:dontknow:

Lamonster
06-21-2011, 01:49 PM
My biggest problem is getting the tabs on the front of the side panels in the right place. I was installing scuff guards yesterday and could not get the tabs to engage. Lamont, is there a trick to getting those side panels back on correctly, I do not want to lose one on the road.:dontknow:
I would cut them off, they don't have them on the 2011 now I'm told.

packbuckbrew
06-21-2011, 04:25 PM
I would cut them off, they don't have them on the 2011 now I'm told.

So I am not putting them on wrong if the tabs are not engaged to anything?

Lamonster
06-21-2011, 04:28 PM
So I am not putting them on wrong if the tabs are not engaged to anything?
I was told that the front tabs made it worst when they wern't locked in. I would remove them all together. I don't have any on mine and have yet to lose a panel.

packbuckbrew
06-21-2011, 10:07 PM
I was told that the front tabs made it worst when they wern't locked in. I would remove them all together. I don't have any on mine and have yet to lose a panel.

Thanks Lamont, I will also add some Velcro as you have suggested.

Bob Denman
07-16-2011, 04:49 PM
Yes, there should be three rubber grommets.
Tell your dealer to cement them in as per BRPs service bulletin 2010–0006
Hi Roger,
After a particularly rough week... (error codes, crossthreaded oil dipsticks and dead pocupinges :gaah:) I have also found that I've got a grommet missing on the left middle whatever panel. Do you have a part number for them? I know that the Y-gaskets in the exhaust sytem can be replaced with a Honda part; is there an equivalent Honda part for the grommets too?
Thanks!:bowdown:

cjackg
07-16-2011, 07:16 PM
I lost the left panel in May after a service visit to the dealer when they did not set the tabs properly. And, this was after I had mounted them with Velcro, so I sure wouldnt count on that!
Fortunately, the dealer took responsibility and sent me a new cover.

Now my covers on both sides are seriously attached to the RT with tethers made from pic-hanging wire ...

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1172&pictureid=15790

Boyd2010RT
07-17-2011, 09:50 PM
There us one part that you made look awfully easy, that I had quite a bit of trouble with.

The two "prongs" that are held on the bottom edge of the top side panel gave me a lot of trouble - the front ones are bent at a wierd angle - the one on the right side was bent so much that I couldn't get it into the grommet when the rear one was in the grommet - the front one finally broke as I tried to bend it to go into the grommet - should they be bent?

Any tricks to getting the prongs into the grommets (or were my prongs bent too much by the dealer when assembling?
THX, Boyd:gaah:

Lamonster
07-18-2011, 09:03 AM
There us one part that you made look awfully easy, that I had quite a bit of trouble with.

The two "prongs" that are held on the bottom edge of the top side panel gave me a lot of trouble - the front ones are bent at a wierd angle - the one on the right side was bent so much that I couldn't get it into the grommet when the rear one was in the grommet - the front one finally broke as I tried to bend it to go into the grommet - should they be bent?

Any tricks to getting the prongs into the grommets (or were my prongs bent too much by the dealer when assembling?
THX, Boyd:gaah:

Those "darts" as they call them are suppose to be bent like that and they can be a bear to install even for me. sometimes I get lucky and they pop right in and other times it takes a little work. A trick would put a little lube on them like Windex. I use that a lot on rubber parts because they slip right in but dry so they won't pop back out.

Bob Denman
07-18-2011, 09:35 AM
:gaah: While replacing my crossthreaded dipstick, I managed to lose a second grommet... I decided to pull that bottom "pan" out from under all of the "oil stuff" That make me miss most of yesterday's NASCAR race, but I did find one of the missing grommets! :thumbup:
I guess that I'll have to call my dealer and mention the BRP TSB (is that enough letters?) and see if they'll replace the missing one and get the others made a bit more permanent...

jgwoods
07-26-2011, 02:59 PM
Thanks so much for the panel demo. I just switched to an RT and am about to put in my aux fusebox for heated gear, GPS, etc. and having a video run through of the panel removal will save me a lot of time the first time through.

I've got my screwgun and #30 torx all ready. :ohyea:

Yfactor
07-26-2011, 04:30 PM
The part about the mirror took away my biggest fear of removing those items.:2thumbs:

Pinchony Creek
07-29-2011, 11:54 AM
What happen to this video could not get it to play ?

Pinchony Creek
08-01-2011, 10:27 AM
Thanks for reposting the video easier that the manual
W. E. Luke Sr.

rhansen309
02-18-2012, 01:19 PM
Thanks Lamont!! The video will help.

Huntindawg1962
05-25-2012, 07:45 AM
Great videos. I started to remove the mirrors to get at the speakers and lights, took off the air wings, three pops and they did not come off just yet. Decided I needed to be lubed with a little more "liquid courage" to smack them as hard as they apparently need to be to get them off (and not have the wife standing around). Will make it a "on the weekend job" of removal instead ;)

SpydherLuv
05-25-2012, 12:01 PM
You shouldn't need to 'smack' them very hard. You should be able to remove them by a quick rap them pull up and towards you, from the bottom of the mirror. Think of the top of the mirror as a hinge, and then lift the bottom end of the mirror up. Don't freak out if you break a clip - it happens a lot. Here is a thread I posted for a temporary fix if you break the clips and can't get to a dealer for a few days. http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?36710-Temporary-Mirror-Clip-Fix

Huntindawg1962
05-29-2012, 02:00 PM
Well, I got the panels off. Lamonster's video sure made it look easier than I experienced but I suspect that my "newness" to doing this made it harder. Helps to also have an assortment of the right tools to get into some of these places. Like the T30 that you need to remove the black side covers (1 screw on each side) after the pretty tupperware is removed - that one is a real bear to get at which the strange angle leading to it.

Doing the speaker replacement like the one video shows was also not as much fun - at least on my 11RT. The screw holes were not in the same position as they were on the 09 in the video. Fun. Finally got it but what a project it was. Changed the front speakers to the Polk's, added the 5LED run lights and while I was there I converted the 11RT to the Xenon lights (BRP lights as I found them at a much better price than the $1100 that BRP was asking).

Now to add the rear speakers when I decide which arm rests to go with - DoubleD or Corbin (both supporters of the forum)..... I like them both but am thinking that the Corbin may offer a little more secure support as they don't swing out. Any thoughts on the arm rests?

naniruth
05-31-2012, 05:31 PM
Could you possible show another video on how to take the mirrors off but this time from a different view because you were in front of it and I am still unsure how to take these off.

anthony422
12-28-2013, 12:11 AM
Is there a video on how to remove the top headlight panel i need to replace it

Magdave
12-28-2013, 12:23 AM
http://youtu.be/NvGbgxB14PQ

anthony422
12-28-2013, 07:06 AM
I'm sorry its the lower panel for the high beams i need to remove and replace the panel
The panel right under where Lamont is working in the video

LEEB
07-20-2016, 02:12 PM
It's been a little while since I have been on Spyderlovers, but I had one of my RT mirrors fall off today when I returned from a short ride. I couldn't figure out how to put it back on, so I came to the source of all sources "Spyderlovers". There I did a search and found this great video that shows plainly how to replace the mirror. Well, I went back out to the Spyder and found one of the pins was all messed up and out of position, as I actually noticed that when the mirror fell off, before I attempted to do anything. I took that pin out, straightened it, put it back in it's correct position. Did the steps found in the video, and wa-la, the mirror is back where it belongs. Now the question would be, how did that little pin get messed up and out of it's housing? Late last year I had my Spyder in to have the 'Emergency Flasher' switch replaced. They had to tear a bit of the bike apart in order to feed the cables and my guess is they had the mirrors off as well as several panels. I guess that when they did the work they may have dislodged and bent the pin! Anyway, we're back on the road again. Thanks to Spyderlovers for such a great forum that helps us who are helpless!!!!!

LEEB

Ranman42
09-09-2016, 09:33 PM
Thanks for the input. I was taking my panels off for the first time, to mount GPS, the tech showed me how to pop the mirror off, said it was simple. I had no trouble getting the mirror off but when I tried to reinstall it the clip broke out of the top bracket. Lucky it was replaceable and I didn't have to buy a $$$$ housing. Service tech admitted he broke a few when he was new. Lesson learned.:banghead::banghead:

Ranman42
2016 RTS Orbital Blue
Zumo 590LM