PDA

View Full Version : Loop 1604 (San Antonio)

jenmom22
06-14-2011, 07:34 PM
I want to practice higher speeds, and I was told a good place to practice would be 1604. I think I can do this, but I thought having someone with me might make it easier (especially when the road gets really busy (near the I-35 interchange, for example).

I ride highway 16 alot (I live off the highway so I do not have a choice...), but I still slow down on most of the tighter curves. I have gotten to the point that I stay about 55 on those curves, but the two lane parts make me nervous (we have cages that are in a HURRY).

anyhoo - do I have any takers? Please and thank you!!!

:bowdown:

BMikiten
06-15-2011, 07:04 AM
I'm off 1604 and NW Military. What do you mean by higher speeds?

Brian
2009 Phantom

jenmom22
06-15-2011, 09:36 AM
I haven't been on the highways at all (I don't count highway 16).

I've been up to 70 at one stretch of 16, but for the most part, I've only done 60 to 65, and I slow down to 50 to 55 on the curves. I need to get comfortable with riding on faster roads. I was told that 1604 would give me that - there are not many stop lights, and parts of it are 'true' highways.

Questions
06-15-2011, 05:29 PM
I'm sure you know this, but just in case you don't -- the NE/N/NW 1604 corridor is hugely busy at most times of the day -- weekends included. However, early Sunday morning would be a good time. Go E on 1604, N on I35, W on 46 (New Braunfels to Boerne), then S on I10 back to 1604, and you will have made a grand loop of semi-epic proportions. I'm sure that by the time you finish that loop, you will be pretty used to riding at higher speeds....

jenmom22
06-15-2011, 08:16 PM
sounds awesome . I will do that - maybe this sunday
...I can pick up 1604 at highway 16, and go from there . thanks ! I'll let you know how it turns out .

StriperKing
06-15-2011, 09:34 PM
You guys are killing me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I work for Toyota in Indiana and was in San Antonio for 8 months last year helping the San Antonio Toyota plant get ready for the Takoma. I stayed just off of 1604 and loved San Antonio so much all I can think about is moving there. I bought my Spyder after I got back home and think all the time just how much fun it would be to ride the 1604 loop and out to the hill country to Medina Lake and everywhere else out there. I am so jelious. All I can say is have fun riding out there. You have beautiful country! :bowdown: :gaah:

jenmom22
06-15-2011, 10:12 PM
I love it out here - my drive/ryde to work every day is from outside Bandera, to near Seaworld (about 30 miles). I get passed a lot, but I'm comfortable with the ride. You are just going to have to come visit!

Questions
06-15-2011, 10:48 PM
I am so jelious. All I can say is have fun riding out there. You have beautiful country! :bowdown: :gaah:

This should make you feel better -- it's been around 100 degrees each day for some time, and will be so for the foreseeable future. Severe drought as well, and will be so until a tropical depression finally hits and floods everything out.....

bikeguy
06-15-2011, 11:17 PM
I love it out here - my drive/ryde to work every day is from outside Bandera, to near Seaworld (about 30 miles). I get passed a lot, but I'm comfortable with the ride. You are just going to have to come visit!

Hi jenmom. I haven't seen you post on Spyderlovers in a long time so it's really good to hear from you again. Maybe you were here and I just missed you but I'm glad you're still riding.

I'm not familiar with the roads around San Antonio but I love the ride from Bandera to Kerrville on 16. From Medina to Kerrville is one of my favorite rides in the whole world. Not much high speed on it but lots of twisties, ups and downs, and beautiful Texas Hill Country. I could ride it every day.

Cotton

Mr. White
07-03-2011, 09:31 PM

From what I read here, you live close to Bandera and ride Hwy 16 in to Loop 1604 and over close to Seaworld. For good practice, take Hwy 46 over to Boerne, south on IH10, take exit 543 (3 miles south of 46) then take Boerne Stage Road over to Hwy 16 then back home. A nice ride, not too fast, nice sweeping curves, etc. Take the same route backwards to your home some times, increasing your speeds to the posted limits...it will add about 45 minutes to your ride.

For a fun ride, go to Medina, TX, take Hwy 337 to Vanderpool, continue on 337 to Leakey, go another mile on 337 and stop at the Frio Canyon Motorcycle Stop...a neat PR place, the go home via 335 and 336 for a full day of riding.

I ride with the Hill Country Road Riders (hcrrtx.org) and we ride to breakfast or lunch every Saturday, depending on the time change. We ride rain or shine, 365/24/7. We are mostly from Bexar, Bandera and Kendall counties. We are mostly retired, but active. We ride cruisers, Gold Wings, HD, etc. I have the only Spyder (RT)

If you have questions, email me at scoot62@aol.com with "Spyder" in the subject.

:spyder2:

Eagle Eye
07-07-2011, 05:35 PM
You guys are killing me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I work for Toyota in Indiana and was in San Antonio for 8 months last year helping the San Antonio Toyota plant get ready for the Takoma. I stayed just off of 1604 and loved San Antonio so much all I can think about is moving there. I bought my Spyder after I got back home and think all the time just how much fun it would be to ride the 1604 loop and out to the hill country to Medina Lake and everywhere else out there. I am so jelious. All I can say is have fun riding out there. You have beautiful country! :bowdown: :gaah:

Look up Texas Best motorcycle rides....Fredericksburg, Medina, Bandera, Boerne- great rides God Speed!!:2thumbs: