PDA

View Full Version : Expensive for cripples.

HotRodLincoln
06-10-2011, 09:44 AM
All these mods are adding up. I have not bought a rss yet as the cost to make it work for me a para is plain ridiculous.
hand brake 1000
electric shift 1000
floor boards 600
corbin seat ???
Chair rack ???
installation of above ???

C'mon. think I might just keep my H-D with hack......has served me well for 18 years now.

SpyderAnn01
06-10-2011, 12:18 PM
Only you can decide if the price is worth it or not. My RT definitely cost more than most motorcycles but I was afraid to ride 2 wheels so for me being able to ride was worth the cost. 14,000 miles and 1 year later I have to say PRICELESS!

SethO
06-14-2011, 01:28 AM
All these mods are adding up. I have not bought a rss yet as the cost to make it work for me a para is plain ridiculous.
hand brake 1000
electric shift 1000
floor boards 600
corbin seat ???
Chair rack ???

C'mon. think I might just keep my H-D with hack......has served me well for 18 years now.

its about 4 times the vehicle you HD trike is and there are SE-5 for sale on here for 12k or less so with a had brake and floorboards you are up to 13.6, wheelchair bracket I have is less that 500 so you are up to 14k, what did your harvey trike cost you?

yeah. As a para I know **** costs more if you are hurt period. You will not regret it.

ThreeWheels
06-14-2011, 04:54 AM
I wouldn't presume to understand. Only you can decide how to spend your money, but from SethO I would listen.

hand brake 1000
electric shift 1000
floor boards 600
corbin seat ???
Chair rack ???

its about 4 times the vehicle you HD trike is and there are SE-5 for sale on here for 12k or less so with a had brake and floorboards you are up to 13.6, wheelchair bracket I have is less that 500 so you are up to 14k, what did your harvey trike cost you?

yeah. As a para I know **** costs more if you are hurt period. You will not regret it.

HotRodLincoln
06-14-2011, 02:44 PM
The can-am seems like a great sport bike, but the cost is prohibitive. I dont mind a few mods, but it seems they are pricey on this rig. FYi, my H-D is not a trike.....those are slow. I have a sidecar on my flh and its a very nice bike that has given me nearly 20 years of reliable fun. I have struggled with this decision and have come to realize that if I go for the spyder, I'm keeping the HD as well. Lets compare;
I paid 13,500 for my 1990 H-D bike w/sidecar back in 93. I added a crosssover suicide shifter that cost me about $5 in material. I added a one lever w/prop valve brake system that cost me about $250. The floor boards were there, but added chrome rails to keep the feet in....$25.
I then bought reverse, that was $1000. The side car fits my chair quite well and the bike looks 99% stock. I get 55 mpg. I did some motor work but that was not necessary, it will go 100 mph depending on head wind.
I'm pretty certain the whole bike is still worth 15k as it original paint and still mint. Over the years I added taller bars, and a gel seat. I know it does not handle as well as a spyder, or as quick/fast, but for casual riding its hard to beat. Like I said, if I buy a spyder, Im keeping the HD too. My biggest concern with the spyder is how the wheelchair is carried. With my hack, it blends right in with the bike and is easily secured.....on the spyder it looks pretty bad hanging off the side there or worse on the top rack. Passenger on back also become a problem. Nothing to be done about that......add the cost of the other mods and yikes. Its never easy or cheap for plegics. Kudos to those of you who have yours set-up and were able to afford it. :thumbup:

dewie
07-14-2011, 05:25 PM
hand brake 1000
electric shift 1000
floor boards 600
corbin seat ???
Chair rack ???

handbrake is around there $$$$
elec shift is free if you buy a se5
you can get crafty with floorboards but ya they range from $250 to 1 grand.
I'm paralyzed from the armpits down and didn't need a corbin or backrest but for each their own.

But from the sounds of it you have your mind made up all ready. And with the huge windscreen I had on I was well over 100mph this weekend with zero engine mods. I didn't have the balls to run it all out so I lifted at 110mph.

SethO
07-17-2011, 03:30 PM
handbrake is around there $$$$
elec shift is free if you buy a se5
you can get crafty with floorboards but ya they range from $250 to 1 grand.
I'm paralyzed from the armpits down and didn't need a corbin or backrest but for each their own.

But from the sounds of it you have your mind made up all ready. And with the huge windscreen I had on I was well over 100mph this weekend with zero engine mods. I didn't have the balls to run it all out so I lifted at 110mph.

they will run out of snot about 120-130 on the speedo and stop pulling as hard in 4th at redline at 114.

Your reply is very well written and makes sense the other point I would add is that NO one gets what they put into a freak vehicle (handicrapp vehicles) I am am aware of so if you can get what you paid for it with your time my hat is off to the sidecar guy. He seems a bit trollish to me.

bullant12
07-17-2011, 03:46 PM
they will run out of snot about 120-130 on the speedo and stop pulling as hard in 4th at redline at 114.

Your reply is very well written and makes sense the other point I would add is that NO one gets what they put into a freak vehicle (handicrapp vehicles) I am am aware of so if you can get what you paid for it with your time my hat is off to the sidecar guy. He seems a bit trollish to me.

:agree: Most of the time you can find all kinds of help and discounts for people who really need these types of accessories. And make common sense... if he has own his HD for so long, he has not added the money he has spend on it over the years plus the inflation factor on those.:chill:

kawakii
07-17-2011, 05:47 PM
Wheelchair rack like what Rack it on .com sells is easily made and not worth the 1000.00 he charges for it...we bought it intially but are having another one made a by a welder friend of ours that fits my chair custom Rack it on .com rack is adjustable which isn't needed. If you need pictures of the rack up close let me know and I can take our it on our bike. It allows use of passenger seat and flows into the bike. Literally the rack is about 100.00 in steel and some stainless steel bolts.

We have an 2011 RSS SE5 --- and it has been well worth the price. Corbin seat is helpful but you can also modify the stock seat for very little. Others like SethO have done this and I bet would advise how to if you asked nicely :)

Handbrake is expensive but better that you have a working break then rig one up on your own and have it fail. It is a great kit and made by a good company.

If you at all handy you can install the Corbin seat and Corbin backrest if needed, foot plates, and wheelchair rack yourself. Other have installed brake as well but I'd rather leave that to professionals for safety.

hotmanali
08-11-2011, 06:57 PM
Wheelchair rack like what Rack it on .com sells is easily made and not worth the 1000.00 he charges for it...we bought it intially but are having another one made a by a welder friend of ours that fits my chair custom Rack it on .com rack is adjustable which isn't needed. If you need pictures of the rack up close let me know and I can take our it on our bike. It allows use of passenger seat and flows into the bike. Literally the rack is about 100.00 in steel and some stainless steel bolts.

We have an 2011 RSS SE5 --- and it has been well worth the price. Corbin seat is helpful but you can also modify the stock seat for very little. Others like SethO have done this and I bet would advise how to if you asked nicely :)

Handbrake is expensive but better that you have a working break then rig one up on your own and have it fail. It is a great kit and made by a good company.

If you at all handy you can install the Corbin seat and Corbin backrest if needed, foot plates, and wheelchair rack yourself. Other have installed brake as well but I'd rather leave that to professionals for safety.

I would love detailed pictures if you don't mind. I was about to buy that rack but at that price it stopped me. I have a friend that has a metal shop and i do some metal work myself so it can't be that hard. Just pictures and dimensions would be a huge help. The biggest thing is how it's attached.

Thanks again, PM sent with my e-mail address.

stutzmason
08-11-2011, 10:50 PM
take a look at this

http://www.dollartimes.com/calculators/inflation.htm

just input what you paid in 93 and convert it to 2011 dollars.

Just a different perspective

$15,000.00 in 1993 had the same buying power as $23,169.03 in 2011. Annual inflation over this period was 2.44%.