PDA

View Full Version : Can Am rival?

Rando
06-09-2011, 08:47 PM
Click here (http://www.autoevolution.com/news/bmw-powered-gg-taurus-trike-is-can-am-rival-36342.html)

SteveMac
06-09-2011, 08:54 PM
Two things caught my eye 1293cc and 9 gallons of fuel.
These are two of the most common items on SpyderLover wish lists posted here. Someone is listening... It will be interesting to see if BRP announces a larger version of the RT at Maggie Valley. :popcorn:

Click here (http://www.autoevolution.com/news/bmw-powered-gg-taurus-trike-is-can-am-rival-36342.html)

pitbull
06-09-2011, 09:03 PM
Two things caught my eye 1293cc and 9 gallons of fuel.
These are two of the most common items on SpyderLover wish lists posted here. Someone is listening... It will be interesting to see if BRP announces a larger version of the RT at Maggie Valley. :popcorn:

Very cool ryde... Looks like the y might be catching on!..... I like the quote "unlike the can-am Spyder it is equiped with a reverse gear box" lol someone didn't do there home work! Makes you question the whole thing:dontknow:.......any ways Steve I don't think BRP won't be making any big annoucements, on new products in the middle of the season. Could hurt the current sales. Lol I already told you my predictions.... U know the ones that are a total guess....:roflblack:

dave01
06-09-2011, 09:05 PM
Rumour has it that 3 of these have been reserved, if and when they come to the US, by current Spyder ryders.
Not sure how true it is, but I think thier names are Doc, Forrest and Dave01....:shocked::shocked::shocked:

SteveMac
06-09-2011, 09:11 PM
Good point on the sales. But if the Y does take off like it appears, I hope BRP is prepared to meet and beat the competition! I told you I plan on rYding my RT 50-60K at least before I am ready for anything else, BUT, I look forward to seeing what the next couple of years brings from BRP. One thing is pretty certain, the popularity of the Y factor among the folks and the way the RT has taken off among that demographic is going to bring BRP competitors to the party in North America soon!

Very cool ryde... Looks like the y might be catching on!..... I like the quote "unlike the can-am Spyder it is equiped with a reverse gear box" lol someone didn't do there home work! Makes you question the whole thing:dontknow:.......any ways Steve I don't think BRP won't be making any big annoucements, on new products in the middle of the season. Could hurt the current sales. Lol I already told you my predictions.... U know the ones that are a total guess....:roflblack:

Firefly
06-09-2011, 09:21 PM
Cool specs for sure-- but the thing is kinda fugly--- the riding position is like that of a rocket bike------

Wonder what the pricing will be?

Yol Bolsun
06-09-2011, 09:22 PM
Well there is the RS rival, wonder if there is an RT rival in the near future.

retread
06-09-2011, 09:25 PM
Looking at the price of the GG Quadster, I'd say the Taurus will compete with the Spyder the way a Lambo competes with a Corvette.

john

SteveMac
06-09-2011, 09:27 PM
I didn't see the price in the article. What was it?

Looking at the price of the GG Quadster, I'd say the Taurus will compete with the Spyder the way a Lambo competes with a Corvette.

john

WackyDan
06-09-2011, 09:35 PM
I like the quote "unlike the can-am Spyder it is equiped with a reverse gear box" lol someone didn't do there home work!

No... What they meant was you still have 6 forward and a dedicated reverse.

boborgera
06-09-2011, 09:36 PM
BMW has been been toying with an idea about bringing that to North America for a few years now.
There was a 45 to 55 K price mentioned a while back on the 4 wheel model.:dontknow:

SteveMac
06-09-2011, 09:39 PM
:yikes: Did I mention I LOVE my RT?

BMW has been been toying with an idea about bringing that to North America for a few years now.
There was a 45 to 55 K price mentioned a while back on the 4 wheel model.:dontknow:

pitbull
06-09-2011, 09:42 PM
No... What they meant was you still have 6 forward and a dedicated reverse.

O I understand that but that's sure not the way it reads.

WackyDan
06-09-2011, 09:43 PM
I didn't see the price in the article. What was it?

I saw the quad listed for $67k.... So I'm will to bet that Taurus costs north of 40k or 50k...

That isn't exactly competition for BRP.

AMTJIM
06-09-2011, 10:05 PM
If it works as well as the new BMW sportbikes, which clobbered Japan in a recent comparison, it's the performance successor. Even with a $4K turbo, the Spyder is still far behind the 175hp the BMW has. It will sell, the BMW's sell.

chris56
06-10-2011, 04:06 AM
you get it here in europe for around the price of two RSS ...
BUT without any ABS / VSS things like that are not available !!
= 43.000,- euros are 62.350 USD ( incl. 19% VAT)
chris

http://www.quadstadelschwab.de/gg-technik-emotion/gg-taurus

docdoru
06-10-2011, 05:33 AM
Lets see...BMW M3 in EU: 110,000 euros, in the US: 67,000 $...:doorag:

dave01
06-10-2011, 06:26 AM
Doc is already calculating the cost of his next toy.

Sent from my Charge using Tapatalk

Lamonster
06-10-2011, 06:30 AM
BUT without any ABS / VSS things like that are not available !!
= 43.000,- euros are 62.350 USD ( incl. 19% VAT)
chris

http://www.quadstadelschwab.de/gg-technik-emotion/gg-taurus
And by time it gets here the new Spyder will be the one to compete with. :D

Bob Denman
06-10-2011, 06:39 AM
I think that it's nice to know that the Can Am has been noticed and somebody is putting them in their sights... competition breeds innovation and improvement! :thumbup:

dave01
06-10-2011, 06:52 AM
And by time it gets here the new Spyder will be the one to compete with. :D

Will that be the SSA :dontknow:we have been guessing about?:dontknow::dontknow:

pjp623
06-10-2011, 07:04 AM
Competition is a good thing. It will keep BRP on their toes so to speak. :spyder:

Lamonster
06-10-2011, 07:08 AM
You more about it than I do, it was you that leaked that info.
I know nothing
http://coacheshotseat.com/coacheshotseatblog/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/Schultz.jpg

docdoru
06-10-2011, 07:46 AM
Even with a $4K turbo, the Spyder is still far behind the 175hp the BMW has. It will sell, the BMW's sell.
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm136/docdoru/6-10-20118-40-25AM.png?t=1307709697

Bob Denman
06-10-2011, 08:09 AM

"SSA" Super Secret Adversary???

BajaRon
06-10-2011, 08:16 AM
If it works as well as the new BMW sportbikes, which clobbered Japan in a recent comparison, it's the performance successor. Even with a $4K turbo, the Spyder is still far behind the 175hp the BMW has. It will sell, the BMW's sell.

It weighs almost 900 lbs without fuel. Add 9 gallons and you're looking at well over 900 lbs before you even get on.

That article only gives you what they want you to know. They left out Price (which means it is EXPENSIVE), so, nothing new about BMW being expensive, but they left out fuel mileage too. So how much does that 9 gallons really get you in stop to stop distance?

All that extra HP only gets you a top speed of 137 mph. Not a huge improvement over the RS. Is the BMW limited by RPM or does it just run out of HP?

If you're not laying down on this one you're getting a face and chest full of wind. So, all the big windshield riders can forget going anywhere near 137 mph (though your 0-60 will probably not be affected much). And a big shield will also cut into your fuel mileage and stop to stop distance.

Nice looking 3 wheeler, but probably not real competition for the Spyder.

BikerDoc
06-10-2011, 08:18 AM
Whether its a precise competitor or not - any competition is likely to be a healthy thing for us. No matter how much you love you Spyder (and I love mine a lot), we still all have wish lists for improvements.. Competition will push the wishes through much faster han our requests.

AMTJIM
06-10-2011, 08:54 AM
It weighs almost 900 lbs without fuel. Add 9 gallons and you're looking at well over 900 lbs before you even get on.

That article only gives you what they want you to know. They left out Price (which means it is EXPENSIVE), so, nothing new about BMW being expensive, but they left out fuel mileage too. So how much does that 9 gallons really get you in stop to stop distance?

All that extra HP only gets you a top speed of 137 mph. Not a huge improvement over the RS. Is the BMW limited by RPM or does it just run out of HP?

If you're not laying down on this one you're getting a face and chest full of wind. So, all the big windshield riders can forget going anywhere near 137 mph (though your 0-60 will probably not be affected much). And a big shield will also cut into your fuel mileage and stop to stop distance.

Nice looking 3 wheeler, but probably not real competition for the Spyder.
The Spyder takes off just fine whether it has 1 or 2 people on board. That 200lbs the BMW has, especially with 175 hp over 6 gears isn't going to make a difference. BRP will survive, Japan makes a good machine and have survived just fine with all the other vehicle manufacturers around, including BMW cars motorcycles. Just a matter of class warfare, the BMW is already the performance successor regardless, obviously G&G/BMW does not make junk. Has anyone put a turbo on the Beemer yet? I'll be watching it fly by while I'm on my Spyder, class warfare in full effect.:ohyea:

spydee owner
06-10-2011, 09:03 AM
Looks real interesting. But like so many companies, the first one out of the gate usually has a big advantage (ipad vs all other tablets for example).
I like the idea of an inline 4 powerplant.

mxz600
06-10-2011, 09:06 AM
Whether its a precise competitor or not - any competition is likely to be a healthy thing for us. No matter how much you love you Spyder (and I love mine a lot), we still all have wish lists for improvements.. Competition will push the wishes through much faster han our requests.

:agree:
But instead of the competition coming from company's like the highly priced GG, I would like to see it come from Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki, Victory (Polaris) or Arctic Cat.

Dragonrider
06-10-2011, 10:21 AM
If they come out with a LT version, my Spyder will be history - it's the first and only alternative that would make me pull my wallet out. My LT two wheeler gave me a reliable 52mpg, with nary a hiccup, and always handled like a BMW.

I've put hundreds of thousands of miles on my BMW cars, and have never had a single issue, and ancient Boxers are still reliably humming along.

Now if someone would figure out how to plug a Valk mill into a tadpole frame…:2thumbs::2thumbs:

JMHO

docdoru
06-10-2011, 10:39 AM
BMW MOA will soon taking Ambassador Applications...;)

Raptor
06-10-2011, 10:48 AM
From a performance perspective the Taurus blows the Spyder away. And that is stock, with no mods. The styling may not work for everyone, but I sure like it (though they do need to tweek the nose just a little!)

The price is what will keep it from selling in large numbers. Chances are it will never even make it to this country anyway. But if it does, and it comes in at under 30K we will have us a ball game! I would trade in a minute...

Bob Denman
06-10-2011, 12:20 PM
...obviously it's frunkless! ;)

Marker
06-10-2011, 05:11 PM
...obviously it's frunkless! ;)

:agree: The BMW price point way above the price point of the :ani29: .BRP has nothing to worry about there will be lots of people who will not out out big money for the BMW.

jedd
06-10-2011, 05:19 PM
BMW MOA will soon taking Ambassador Applications...;)

Will they cover air fare??:popcorn::popcorn:

ARtraveler
06-10-2011, 07:12 PM
Will be interesting to see what transpires with this. Anything over $30K would be to expensive for most potential customers.

:popcorn::popcorn:

msiple
06-11-2011, 08:58 AM
Harley Davidson is also coming out with Can-Am look alike. I saw it at Americade. The interesting thing about it is that it leans! The guy from HD was explaining some of the features, it sounded like you could turn off leaning if you wanted to, but I am not sure. Anyway, I thought I would mention it.

IWN2RYD
06-11-2011, 10:09 AM
Harley Davidson is also coming out with Can-Am look alike. I saw it at Americade. The interesting thing about it is that it leans! The guy from HD was explaining some of the features, it sounded like you could turn off leaning if you wanted to, but I am not sure. Anyway, I thought I would mention it.
Interesting... :popcorn:

sinkhole
06-11-2011, 10:19 AM
The plot thickens! :2excited:

Yeochief
06-11-2011, 04:19 PM
If and when this machine arrives on our shores, there will be buyers. There are always people with more money than they know what to do with:roflblack:. BMW has a fine rep as a motor builder both two and four wheel.

My :spyder2: will get me a speeding ticket in all fifty states. We don't have anything like the autobhan here where you could run this or a Spyder to its top end.

I'll be right in line to look, but my wallet stays on my hip.

Not sure any of the existing motorcycle companies want to get into the three wheel business. Old style trykes maybe from HD and Honda the rest, not so much.

bone crusher
06-11-2011, 10:29 PM
BMW has the name recognition behind it and a very proud history. So many people call BMW cars 'beemers'...not quite! The 'beemers' are the bikes and the 'bimmers' are the cars...

Anyway, with 175hp, it will sell...also, if you're trying to compare BRP with BMW, there is no comparison. BMW has a legacy that cannot be touched.

If this bike comes in at 30k or under, it will do very well and will certainly steal a ton of Spyder owners (unfortunately). It will not target RT owners...it's far too much fun of a ride to threaten a moving couch! :D:p

chris56
06-12-2011, 02:10 AM
is NOT produced by BMW - GG is a small (but good) company in Swiss - they couldn`t make quantities of this Taurus -(some ryders visited the company on their way to the Italian-event ..)
most of the European Countries have now a Spyder-3wheel-law which allowes us to ryde with a car-license and full powered..thats why they changed from Quads to the 3-wheeler..
last : the cost of "our" VSS-Nanny system is much higher than we can expect - someone told me they have to produce 100.000 spyders to bring in the investment of such a system ..
and without that ..there would be much more storys about "crashes" here in the forum :2thumbs:
http://bmwmcmag.com/2010/07/gg-taurus/
http://www.gg-technik.ch/de/quad/0495439a180a12304/6481289cbd11e3201/index.html

Bob Denman
06-12-2011, 08:33 AM
Did it look anything like the drawings? Did you get any photos?
http://pictures.topspeed.com/IMG/jpg/200809/harley-davidson-leanw.jpg
Somehow I have to think that "Easy Rider" would have been a much different movie... :roflblack: (How do you stretch the front end of one of those??? :shocked:

NancysToy
06-12-2011, 07:44 PM
BMW has the name recognition behind it and a very proud history. So many people call BMW cars 'beemers'...not quite! The 'beemers' are the bikes and the 'bimmers' are the cars...
As long as the three wheelers aren't called "bummers." :joke:

Raptor
06-12-2011, 08:29 PM

:roflblack: Good one.

bone crusher
06-12-2011, 08:32 PM

Funny!!!

You have to admit that a BMW configured like a Spyder will pique a lot of interest and if it's a speed demon, I'm sure even many here will exit stage left to get one!