PDA

View Full Version : What's up?????

sealfloorboards
06-09-2011, 11:57 AM
Last evening I decided to go for a ride. I live in town so the speed limit is mostly 25 mph. For some reason, my 2011 RTS SE5 (SpyderFest Eddition (sic.)) refused to shift into 2nd. This was a first for me as it has been flawless for it's first 1,600+ miles. You don't speed in Newberg so I didn't go over 30 mph. No 2nd gear. This morning I headed out of town and found that it would only shift at 4,500 rpm or higher. I did get as far as 4th gear then came home to send out this SOS. It also downshifts at 3,500 rpm in all gears. This is totally new! In the past I have easily been able to shift up at anything over 3,000 rpm. Now I will be riding thru town in 1st gear or maybe 2nd. in 35 mph areas. My test ride this morning had my baby downshifting way sooner and more often than I want. I don't want to have to go to the store a mile away in 1st. Like I say, this is a new occurrence. Any thoughts? I've had my 600 mi service.

Thanks,

Too much shifting John

Bob Denman
06-09-2011, 12:06 PM
Check your oil level first since it's the easiest thing to do at home without a dealer in your back pocket...
After that... it's time for the dealer to start checking the sensors...

sealfloorboards
06-09-2011, 12:10 PM
Hmmm. Haven't done that before. The service was done 700 mi. ago.

sealfloorboards
06-09-2011, 12:14 PM
I need to go about 25 mi. round trip to another town. Should I cancel it? What kind of oil? Nearest service center is about 30 mi.

boborgera
06-09-2011, 01:00 PM
Hmmm. Haven't done that before. The service was done 700 mi. ago.

Do you unknowingly have it in tow mode.??

sealfloorboards
06-09-2011, 01:10 PM
What's Tow mode? Boy, do I feel dumb right about now!

boborgera
06-09-2011, 01:18 PM
What's Tow mode? Boy, do I feel dumb right about now!

It delays the shift until 45 hundred rpms, for towing.

sealfloorboards
06-09-2011, 01:22 PM
It delays the shift until 45 hundred rpms, for towing.

Man, you are a genius!!! That's what is was. Don't know how it got there but it's now back to w/o trailer. Thanks so much!:bowdown:bowdown::bowdown:

John
Seal FloorBoards

vtspyder
06-09-2011, 01:52 PM
Man, you are a genius!!! That's what is was. Don't know how it got there but it's now back to w/o trailer. Thanks so much!:bowdown:bowdown::bowdown:

John
Seal FloorBoards

I am humbled, and grateful for the knowledge these folks have here on this forum!!!It's such a great community.:bowdown:

boborgera
06-09-2011, 02:15 PM
I am humbled, and grateful for the knowledge these folks have here on this forum!!!It's such a great community.:bowdown:

:thumbup: My Old use to say ; Never underestimate the knowledge of average people in large Groups.:roflblack:

Bob Denman
06-09-2011, 02:43 PM
Nice catch Bob! :2thumbs: Now I'm going to have to see if I can find "Tow Mode" just to see what it feels like...

3tracs
06-09-2011, 03:34 PM
This is a perfect example of why this is the best Spyder site on the net! Great catch Bob!

:thumbup:

CyncySpyder
06-09-2011, 03:44 PM
:agree:SPYDERLOVERS.COM IS THE BOMB!!!:firstplace:
& it's thanks to each & every one of YOU!!!

sealfloorboards
06-09-2011, 04:51 PM
Bob,

Just got back from a 75 mi. ride and it was shifting just as smooth as silk. Thanks again, your Old was dead right!. It's funny, I just finished building my trailer yesterday. My Canadian hitch should be here tomorrow. 8 legged freak is hopefully going to help me install it on Sat. Question...Do I have to go to tow mode whenever I pull it?

John

napper39
06-09-2011, 04:59 PM
what a grate site,and all the wisdem of all the people.now when i get a rt ill know there is a tow mode.thanks.:2thumbs::D:chat:

spyder3
06-09-2011, 05:15 PM
How exactly do you get into and out of tow mode?

john

ThreeFeet
06-09-2011, 05:28 PM
Bob,

Just got back from a 75 mi. ride and it was shifting just as smooth as silk. Thanks again, your Old was dead right!. It's funny, I just finished building my trailer yesterday. My Canadian hitch should be here tomorrow. 8 legged freak is hopefully going to help me install it on Sat. Question...Do I have to go to tow mode whenever I pull it?

John I keep mine out of tow mode when towing or not. If not pulling a trailer and in tow mode one has to get it up over 4500 rpm to get to the next gear.When you start punching mode button you can get to tow via a spot I can't remember but I got there once and scared me half to death thought I would have to go to Cowtown& in 1st gear forever!!!!:gaah::cus::(

ThreeFeet
06-09-2011, 05:31 PM
How exactly do you get into and out of tow mode?

john once you get to the pix of the trailer use arrows Left or right

sealfloorboards
06-09-2011, 08:00 PM
Scroll down to Trailer on your screen (just past audio). To the right of trailer it will say Trailer and w/o Trailer. I think I was just screwing around with buttons while riding (I know, don't while riding:lecturef_smilie:) and I just found the right combination. I also noticed I was on Kilometers rather than mph. Pulled into a parking lot and corrected that. The good part is I know much more about my RT than I did yesterday :clap::2thumbs:

John