PDA

View Full Version : recommended NoVA dealers?

dctex
06-06-2011, 06:38 AM
Hey, folks,

As I said in the general forum, this is a great site. I'm seriously thinking about getting a Spyder.

Quick question - which dealers in the Northern VA would you recommend for servicing/repairs? I know that the one in Fredericksburg gets high marks. Coleman's in Falls Church is actually most convenient for me, but I've seen good and bad reviews in terms of their dealings with Spyders. Have they "embraced" Spyders a bit more in their shop and built up the requisite technical knowledge in their service dept.?

Any info. would be great. Thanks in advance.

daveinva
06-06-2011, 10:48 AM
:welcome:

I live in NoVa, recently purchased my 2010 new RS. I ended up buying it from a dealer in Philly who had a can't-miss price, but I plan on servicing it down in the D.C. area (I'm coming up on my 600 mile service here in another week or two).

Here's what I know right now:

1. The "local" DC Spyder dealers are Coleman Falls Church, Coleman Woodbridge, Fredericksburg Motorsports (FMS), Trumbull Motorsports (MD), Talbot Motorports (MD Eastern Shore), and Pete's Cycle (Baltimore).

2. Both Colemans, FMS and Talbot only have 2011 Spyders available; I'm unsure whether Trumbull and Pete's have any 2010's left.

3. Like you, Coleman Falls Church is most convenient to me. Unfortunately, it's also the one with the sketchiest reputation. I've bought accessories there-- nice selection, albeit with a high markup. The sales staff are pushy, but most sales staff are. The service department has some good, some bad reviews online, but the real issue is that it's *small*; only a handful of bays, and a reputation for taking forrrrrrrrrevvvver to fix any bike, let alone Spyders.

Also, they're not good about returning emails or phonecalls, so there's that.

4. Coleman Woodbridge is MUCH nicer IME. The accessories department is about the same, but more service bays, and the sales staff there appear to be more knowledgeable about the Spyder. They seem to be much better about returning phone calls and emails.

To give you an idea, I know someone who paid earlier this year for a 2011 RT-S Limited, every last BRP option, BEST warranty, *plus* Coleman's dealer service plan, out the door for $31,000. That's a rich price, even with all the options.

4. FMS also returned my emails, but by then I had already bought my Spyder. Ditto Trumbull.

5. In May, Talbot quoted me $19500 for a new 2011 RS SE5 stock, no options. One of our resident Spyderlovers members is a HUGE fan of Talbot's-- they're a BRP Platinum dealer, very nice, a top-notch service department that's also very mod-friendly. Downside is that they're over the Bay Bridge, about 75 miles from D.C.

My advice? You'll probably get a response via email from all the dealers *but* the Colemans. If you want to go look at a Spyder and test ride one, I recommend the Coleman in Woodbridge versus the one in Falls Church-- again, they seem to be more Spyder-centric, and it'll be easier to test ride one around the Potomac Mills parking lots than it is around FC.

Also, if you're unsure if the Spyder is right for you and you'd like an *extended* test ride, please note that Apex Cycle Training in the D.C. area offers a trike BRC (Evergreen Safety, similar to MSF) that uses the Spyder, both RS and RT models (I took it, if you search my posts you'll find an in-depth rave review-- the class is what sold me on buying a Spyder).

Safe riding!

gjco
06-06-2011, 08:03 PM
Coleman Woodbridge does all my service work They are not the closest dealer to me but you will not find a better shop if you ask me.

daveinva
06-07-2011, 11:26 PM
3. Like you, Coleman Falls Church is most convenient to me. Unfortunately, it's also the one with the sketchiest reputation. I've bought accessories there-- nice selection, albeit with a high markup. The sales staff are pushy, but most sales staff are. The service department has some good, some bad reviews online, but the real issue is that it's *small*; only a handful of bays, and a reputation for taking forrrrrrrrrevvvver to fix any bike, let alone Spyders. Okay, I must apologize-- I wrote this based on visiting Coleman Falls Church a number of times, but never have I actually *walked into* their service department. I COULDN'T HAVE BEEN MORE WRONG. From the outside of the service department, it looks as if there's not a lot of room there, and I rarely see more than a handful of bikes. Well, walk into their service *garage*, and it's ginormous-- easily 100+ bikes in there for the fixing.

Guess you really can't judge a book by its cover!

Anyway, I dropped off my Spyder for its initial 600 mile service there today, I'll update this later. They had four Spyders in front of me in the queue, they don't think they'll be able to turn mine around until *after* this weekend (grrrrrrrrrrr, it's Tuesday)-- they appear to have but one tech for the Spyders (I didn't get the chance to meet him today).

REDSPY
06-08-2011, 07:54 AM
I went to Motosports in Hanover, PA and they are great. Ryan the service manager does all the work on the Spyders and they will make an appointment for you to bring and wait while the 600 mile service is performed. Althought they are 90 miles from NVA, its worth the trip.

dctex
06-09-2011, 06:37 AM
Thanks for the great info., folks. I'll be interested in hearing your impressions of Coleman's Falls Church once they complete the work on your bike, daveinva.

fleegeds
06-09-2011, 08:08 AM
My Spyder has been in Coleman's Woodbridge location for almost 3 weeks and they really seam to be dragging their feet on this. I have contacted BRP and they are working the problem but I would say so far my experience has not been good with Coleman's.

I am thinking of trying Fredericksburg Motorsports next if I need more support. Good luck making your decision though.

Oh yeah and :congrats: & :welcome:

daveinva
06-13-2011, 11:03 AM
A follow-up: I dropped off my Spyder RS in for its 600 mile oil change and inspection service at Coleman Falls Church on Tuesday of last week. I was told then that it would likely take until the following Tuesday to perform the service given the backlog of Spyders in the service department (there were four ahead of me).

Coleman FC called me on Thursday telling me my Spyder was ready for pickup. Perhaps they were overly pessimistic on their first estimate, but either way, I'll take a two-day turnaround over a week anytime.

My total cost for parts and 2 1/2 hours of labor was $395. I had a $15 coupon off the oil change so I paid $380.

Again, not cheap, but I was happy with that turnaround.

bandwagon
06-14-2011, 04:56 AM
That's great!:clap:

Roger
06-14-2011, 07:18 AM
ARE YOU SERIOUS "Talbot quoted me $19500 for a new 2011 RS SE5 stock, no options" WOW is he trying to pay off his mortgage in one sale!! :yikes::yikes::yikes:

daveinva
06-14-2011, 08:17 AM
ARE YOU SERIOUS "Talbot quoted me $19500 for a new 2011 RS SE5 stock, no options" WOW is he trying to pay off his mortgage in one sale!! :yikes::yikes::yikes:

Yup, that was the price. That's why I bought elsewhere. :thumbup:

That said, their service department is supposed to be first rate.

reconscout
06-14-2011, 08:56 AM
I just put my 2010 Can-Am Spyder Rt up for sell at Coleman Powersports in Woodbridge. They treated me good there and had no problem with them. They were a little slow at first when I got it in 2010 but now they Rock. It should come out on there web site soon.