PDA

View Full Version : ISCI Fan Can Installed and Tested - Pics Included

SpyderWolf
06-05-2011, 06:37 PM
My ISCI Fan Can came in yesterday for my Spyder, so I took time this morning to install it. Since adding the SFB Racing Floorboards, I discovered what other ryders were talking about with right side heat cooking their foot. I bought this in hopes it would be the cure I was looking for. After the install, I let the temperature get to a stifling 98 before I took it for a test ryde. Here are the installation pictures and the test results.

This is a what the outside of the can looks like, the part that faces the ryder:
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1414&pictureid=15661

This is what the inside of the can looks like, the part that goes over the fan, note the 2 elevated notches:
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1414&pictureid=15662

The first step in the installation process is to remove the right side engine access cover:
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1414&pictureid=15663

This exposes the radiator and the fan assembly, You can also see that I have SpyderPops Missing Air Dam installed:
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1414&pictureid=15664

Depending on what type of tools you have, you may also need to remove the lower flat black portion of the tupperware. It is a tight fit to get a tool on the lower right bolt, but I was able to work it out without removing the flat black lower panel.

The next step is to loosen the upper left fan mounting bolt, there is no need to remove it:
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1414&pictureid=15665

Then you want to loosen the lower right fan mounting bolt:
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1414&pictureid=15666

Next you position the Fan Can in place, and twist it slightly to get the elevated notches to go over the loosened bolts. Once in place, simply tighten the bolts back up:
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1414&pictureid=15667

Replace the body panels that you removed, and that completes the install:
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1414&pictureid=15668

This is what the Spyder now looks like from the side. I may end up painting it black in order to get it to better match the rest of my Spyder later on.

Now on to the test ryde. It was 98 degrees with 40% humidity when I left the house, so hot and muggy is almosts an understatement. If you have sweated while ryding then you know the conditions. By the time I reached the paved road, the temp gauge was reading 5 bars on my Spyder. A couple of minutes at 65 and it dropped down to 4 bars and stayed there until I got to a stop sign. Usually at 4 bars I can start to feel some heat on my right foot, and of course when the fan comes on at 5 bars it would throw some serious heat in my direction. I rode for about 40 miles with the temp gauge fluctuating between 4 and 6 bars, and my right foot was no hotter than my left foot. :thumbup:

For the real test, I stopped on a nice piece of black asphalt entering a boat ramp area and let the Spyder idle for 5 minutes. I figured this would be a good test of being stuck in traffic, as if I had to wait any longer than that to move I would likely shut the Spyder down anyway. During the 5 minute wait the temp gauge reached 7 bars. I kept my feet on the floorboards during the entire wait, and did not feel any additional heat on my right foot. After the 5 minutes I started down the road at 25 mph then up to 35, based on the speed limit. It took 1 minute for the temp to go from 7 bars to 6 bars at that low speed. Another 5 minutes and it was down to 5 bars. When I hit the road back home, and was able to run 65 again, it dropped to 4 bars.

I am calling this a success in my book. :2thumbs: Thanks to ISCI for making this product.

One thing to note is there are 2 different versions of the Fan Can for the Spyder GS/RS depending on which fan you have installed. This can forces the air to be blown to the left and down, which is into the engine compartment but during testing it didn't appear to bother anything at all. It also did not put any extra heat on me that I have never felt before. Believe me, the wind at 98 degrees was hot enough already. :D

spyder3
06-05-2011, 07:23 PM
i was looking into this also for my RT. My concern was where was the heat being directed to? Was your engine temp the same for the type of riding you tested this on?

thanks!

john

GA-SPYDER
06-05-2011, 09:01 PM
I like the look, SpyderWolf.
I got to try out SpyderPops' air management this weekend.....with the same heat that you were talking about. I thought that maybe I had made a mistake, but, between it and the Missing Air Dam, I am running cooler. No significant heat increase on the right foot highway peg position. :thumbup:

jvicker
06-05-2011, 09:15 PM
:2thumbs:

Nice write up as always. Its great reading and seeing new products in action.

SteveMac
06-05-2011, 09:24 PM
Excellent write up. I have sitting on my shop bench this very same fan can that I am going to combine with SpyderPops LaBlock. Then then the highway pegs and ISCI handbrake go on :clap:.

I also have a question about the deflected air. Did you remove the lower plastic skid plate, or cut a hole in as some have done?

Thanks for the great post and pics (I printed it and put it in the box with my part!) :thumbup:

SpyderWolf
06-05-2011, 09:48 PM
i was looking into this also for my RT. My concern was where was the heat being directed to? Was your engine temp the same for the type of riding you tested this on?

thanks!

john

On the GS/RS model all we have for the engine temperature is a gauge that has bars that climb the hotter it gets. Running at 4 bars when the ambient temperature is 98 degrees is normal for me. The 5 bars don't concern me as that is when the fan kicks on. There was a post here somewhere that translated the number of bars to actual temperature values and they aren't as hot as you might think. :thumbup:

I also have a question about the deflected air. Did you remove the lower plastic skid plate, or cut a hole in as some have done?

Thanks for the great post and pics (I printed it and put it in the box with my part!) :thumbup:

I did not modify any of the underside panels on my Spyder. The model of fan on my GS took the can that blows everything out to the left and into the engine compartment. I figure any air it gets in there is better than no air at all, and the temps were good so I am not worried about it. I do know that ISCI had a temp gauge on their Spyder they tested it on in the Alabama summer heat and everything was good to go there as well.

Glad to help whenever I can.

SpyderWolf
06-05-2011, 09:50 PM
I like the look, SpyderWolf.
I got to try out SpyderPops' air management this weekend.....with the same heat that you were talking about. I thought that maybe I had made a mistake, but, between it and the Missing Air Dam, I am running cooler. No significant heat increase on the right foot highway peg position. :thumbup:

I was hoping that would work out for you as well. :thumbup:

I never really understood what all the complaining was about the right foot heat until I got the SFB Racing Floorboards. That lowered my right foot into a direct line behind the gap the hot air would blow out. This can definitely took care of that issue for me.

docdoru
06-05-2011, 10:03 PM
During the 5 minute wait the temp gauge reached 7 bars. I kept my feet on the floorboards during the entire wait, and did not feel any additional heat on my right foot. After the 5 minutes I started down the road at 25 mph then up to 35, based on the speed limit. It took 1 minute for the temp to go from 7 bars to 6 bars at that low speed. Another 5 minutes and it was down to 5 bars.
Something else is wrong with your Spyder: coolant age, coolant tank, thermostat...7 bars is excessive. :shocked:

SpyderWolf
06-05-2011, 10:11 PM
Something else is wrong with your Spyder: coolant age, coolant tank, thermostat...7 bars is excessive. :shocked:

:dontknow: I didn't think it was excessive. It has hit 7 bars before while sitting in traffic on the asphalt in 100 degree heat. Once I get moving it drops back down fairly quickly. Have you never let the Spyder idle long enough to reach that temp? If not, then I can always check with ISCI and see what their testing showed during the summer. :dontknow:

sabunim5
06-06-2011, 07:40 PM
+1 I agree. In 3yrs and 24000 miles I don't think I have ever seen 7 bars. 6 for a short time but not 7. I live in FL so I know hot and humid.

spyder3
06-06-2011, 08:02 PM
:dontknow: I didn't think it was excessive. It has hit 7 bars before while sitting in traffic on the asphalt in 100 degree heat. Once I get moving it drops back down fairly quickly. Have you never let the Spyder idle long enough to reach that temp? If not, then I can always check with ISCI and see what their testing showed during the summer. :dontknow:

did you hit 7 bars before this installation?

SpyderWolf
06-06-2011, 08:51 PM
+1 I agree. In 3yrs and 24000 miles I don't think I have ever seen 7 bars. 6 for a short time but not 7. I live in FL so I know hot and humid.

Okay, now you all are starting to make me paranoid. :gaah:

did you hit 7 bars before this installation?

Yes, it has reached 7 bars before. 2009 in Pigeon Forge, TN, while stuck in traffic for 30 minutes to move 1/2 mile through an intersection. Last 4th of July while stuck in traffic waiting to get onto Fort Gordon for the festivities. Then this test run I just did with the can on.

Sitting still and checking my watch for 5 minutes seemed like an eternity. The last time I was stopped and idling for that long was July 4. My Spyder has never gone into Limp Home mode due to the heat. :dontknow:

Venom21
06-07-2011, 02:16 PM
Thank you very much for the fine write up. Happy you are pleased.

poordom
07-14-2013, 08:52 PM
I have read this thread very carefully, as I am interested in purchasing the FANCAN for my 2009 GS/RS.

But as I kept reading I got more and more paranoid with the comments pertaining to the number of bars showing while driving or sitting in traffic.

I have installed the foam piece kit from Spyderpops in the hope that the temperature would come down, since I am ridding regularly at the 7 bar mark.

Unfortunately that mod has not provided any improvement.

Everyone seemed concerned at this 7 Bar situation.

My Spyder runs hot from both sides, left and right, I live outside Montreal where the temperature can reach the 90's from time to time, as it did this weekend.

What should I look for, changing the coolant and thermostat, any recommendation is greatly appreciated.

Hot in Montreal.

Dom

mcaccamise
07-14-2013, 10:21 PM
Just an FYI i also have a 2012 RSS in Florida in the last two weeks my ambiant temp guage has read as high as 105 to 107 and even at an idle waiting for a light i have only seen five bars.
My spyder has never reached the six or seven bar reading.