Rando
06-03-2011, 07:29 PM
1. Hell
2. Lake of the Clouds, Porcupine Mountains
3. Paradise
4. Mackinaw Bridge
5. Tahquamenon Falls
6. Soo Locks
7. Ironwood - Hiawatha (worlds tallest Indian)
8. Sleeping Bear Sand Dunes
9. Tunnel of Trees
10. White Fish Point

More ideas please!

SpyderAnn01
06-03-2011, 07:46 PM
How many of those are in the UP? Don't best me up I'm not a native.

bjt
06-03-2011, 07:54 PM
Not sure what a Spyderweb stop is but these are a few neat places to ride through or stop and visit.

Frankenmuth, MI.
Grindstone City, MI.
Any of the old lighthouses that are still operating.
Keweenaw Penninsula
Just about any Great Lake shoreline road.
Pictured Rocks
Ironton Ferry
Copper Peak Ski flying hill
Christmas, MI.

bjt
06-03-2011, 07:56 PM

I think 7 of his are in the U.P. 4 of mine are.

dltang
06-03-2011, 08:06 PM

6 of those 10 are in the UP and then there is the Bridge. I think we need to have two west coast stops, two southern stops, two east coast stops, two up stops, the Bridge and one other northern LP stop. That would make 10 and really get you around the state.

Here is mine.
1. Mackinaw Bridge
UP
2. Saulte Ste Marie
3. Tahquamenon Falls
Upper LP
4. Traverse City
West Coast
5. Sleeping Bear Sand Dunes
6. ?
Southern stops
7. ?
8. ?
Eastern Stops
9. Frankenmuth
10. Lumberman's Monument near Oscoda

Rando
06-03-2011, 08:39 PM
I think we need to have two west coast stops, two southern stops, two east coast stops, two up stops, the Bridge and one other northern LP stop.I agree. I was just brainstorming, hoping others will do the same and then we can compile an awesome list. Let's be the first state to get the list finalized and posted. Whatever we decide on, the destination should have something unique that can easily be photographed as proof of being there. My number 7 is a perfect example of that. http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/11874

Another good one. http://www.fishweb.com/maps/cheboygan/indianriver/shrine/index.html

bjt
06-03-2011, 08:47 PM
Now that I read the general discussion forum and know what a Spyderweb stop is, I still stick with my suggestions.

NancysToy
06-03-2011, 08:55 PM
This is a tough one, from a standpoint of paring it down. There are so many choices.

Roads:
http://www.touringmichigan.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=24&catid=23&Itemid=24
I would add to these N. Scenic Drive from Muskegon to Whitehall, Lakeshore Avenue from Holland to Grand Haven, River Road Scenic Byway (http://www.byways.org/explore/byways/10781/), and much of M-37 including the stretch from Battle Creek to Grand Rapids.

Places:
Mackinac Bridge
Hell
South Haven
Soo Locks
Upper Tahquamenon Falls
Rosie's Diner - Rockford
Traverse City
Sleeping Bear Dunes
Gilmore Car Museum
Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore

And more...
I agree with almost any lighthouse, you can even be a volunteer lighthouse keeper at Little Sable Point Lighthouse in Mears, Michigan. I'm big on museums, too, but the big city rides keep them out of the top ten. I also enjoy almost any small town along the lake shores, and I never turn down a trip to Cabellas in Dundee. I sneak off to some race tracks now and then, too, as well as some big car shows, like the Woodward Dream Cruise or the 28th Street Cruise.

Add:
Meijer Gardens - Grand Rapids
Centreville covered bridge (or any othe covered bridge)

So many destinations...so little time. :D

SpyderAnn01
06-03-2011, 09:17 PM
We could sort of hit the 4 corners of the lower peninsula. Mackinaw, Traverse City, St. Joseph and Cabela's. Frankenmuth is a must. If you're looking for something in the south central area Cement City Harley/CanAm in the Irish Hills is a good ride.

spydrluvr
06-03-2011, 09:31 PM
the worlds largest tire-allen park, musical fountain-grand haven, paul bunyan statue oscoda, worlds largest cherry pie-traverse city

115 lighthouses

can't forget the thumb

RTaz
06-03-2011, 11:04 PM
UP
Copper Harbor
Munising.
Black River Harbor
Iroquois Point Lighthouse
Fayette
Iron River
Grand Marias
Whitefish point
Menominee

LP

Cross Village
40 mile point Lighthouse
Rogers City
Onaway
Atlanta
Gaylord
East Jordan
Charlevoix
Bellaire
Lake City
Leelanau
Frankfort
Empire
Mission point
Torch Lake
Higgins Lake
Mio
Rose City
Lumberman's Monument
Oscoda
Tawas City

Thumb
Port Austin
Harbor Beach
Caseville
Huron City
Lexington

I can't even get into Southeastern,Southwestern, Western and Central Mi...we have alot of great places here in Michigan to ride.

dltang
06-10-2011, 06:15 PM
Let's make sure we pick sites that people can get photos with to show they have been there and we can map them easily enough. Here are 3 that I would like to see if everyone agrees on for a start.

1. Mackinaw Bridge
2. Tunnel of Trees
3. Hell, MI

Here are examples of how people can prove they have been there.

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k319/dltang/Zi6_0214.jpg
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k319/dltang/Zi6_0200.jpg
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k319/dltang/Hell2.jpg

Somewhere I have a photo with us in front of the Tunnel of Tree sign but not sure where it is right now. Anyway, you get the idea. If we start agreeing a on few spots, before long we will have our 10.

dltang
06-10-2011, 06:25 PM
Here is another idea. It is great riding in the area. Mission Point, the Old Mission Light House. This is the point where you are half way between the north pole and the equator.
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k319/dltang/Extra%20photos%20for%20upload/OldMission.jpg

Probably have to throw Frankenmuth in the mix too.

dancogan
06-10-2011, 09:16 PM
I'd say the Michigan International Speedway, which is conveniently close to the Artesian Wells, would be a good place to add to the list.

NancysToy
06-10-2011, 09:43 PM
I'd say the Michigan International Speedway, which is conveniently close to the Artesian Wells, would be a good place to add to the list.
I was thinking about Artesian Wells. Besides roads and attractions, maybe we need a list of good restaraunts/dives. :D So many choices!!! How are we gonna whittle it down to ten?

SpyderAnn01
06-10-2011, 10:15 PM
I was thinking about Artesian Wells. Besides roads and attractions, maybe we need a list of good restaraunts/dives. :D So many choices!!! How are we gonna whittle it down to ten?

That looks like 3 votes for Artesian Wells. I couldn't remember the name of it so I just put the Harley/Can Am dealer Cement city.

dltang
06-10-2011, 10:15 PM

I think we are looking for specific places that are easy to get a picture to prove you were there. So it needs to be more than a road or a ride. It needs to be a specific place. So back to my question a few posts ago. Can we agree on a start to our list?

1. The Mackinaw Bridge - a must I would think Everyone yay or nay.

We can vote on these one pick at a time until we get our 10, what you all say?

SpyderAnn01
06-10-2011, 11:26 PM
I think we are looking for specific places that are easy to get a picture to prove you were there. So it needs to be more than a road or a ride. It needs to be a specific place. So back to my question a few posts ago. Can we agree on a start to our list?

1. The Mackinaw Bride - a must I would think Everyone yay or nay.

We can vote on these one pick at a time until we get our 10, what you all say?

I'll vote yay for the Bridge and nay for the bride :roflblack:

dltang
06-11-2011, 07:12 AM
I'll vote yay for the Bridge and nay for the bride :roflblack:

Okay Ann you are going to make me go in and fix my error, I try to catch those. Of course you have quoted it so, the error lives forever. :D

SpyderAnn01
06-11-2011, 07:51 AM
Okay Ann you are going to make me go in and fix my error, I try to catch those. Of course you have quoted it so, the error lives forever. :D

I'm sorry I just couldn't resist.

NancysToy
06-11-2011, 09:15 AM
I'll add my vote for the Bridge, and extend my sympathies for the ruthless and rapid blooper quotes. They do, indeed, live forever. I have tested the waters. :D

jmkipp
06-11-2011, 09:48 AM
We are going to try to make the bridge trip this summer ,does the grates give you any problems with tracking

dltang
06-11-2011, 01:02 PM
We are going to try to make the bridge trip this summer ,does the grates give you any problems with tracking

It is just disconcerting but no problems.