PDA

View Full Version : Fun with hitches

retread
06-01-2011, 09:13 PM
I ordered a BRP hitch to put on my GS, didn't check the box when it came in. The through pin (goes through the axle) and the mudguard were not there. The hitch can't be mounted without the through pin. The guys at Flatout have been great getting the missing parts, and the service techs are good at their jobs and LISTEN! Anyway, I should be back on the road tomorrow, the wiring is done, the trailer lights work, some other stuff got taken care of, so maybe this cluster happened for a reason.

john

NancysToy
06-02-2011, 07:09 AM
I gave up on the mudguards...too low to the ground, too useless, and too ugly. I did drill out the holes in the hitch, though, and install nutserts, so I can attach the mudguard with screws later, if I so choose. Glad to hear you are getting things squared away.

retread
06-05-2011, 10:16 PM
Okay, hitch is on, wiring is done, but I'll probably change the position of the plug, so some info.
The powered converter I used is a Hopkins 46255, hooked in on my PC-8, once I got the shorts out of the trailer, it works good. I connected the input wires upstream of my triple play, trying to keep it simple. I have the pigtail at the edge of one of the taillights, but I'm going to run it forward by the swingarm pivot, then down the swingarm to a plug screwed down on the hitch. Less wire hanging loose and neater, too.
Hope this helps others that are doing trailers.

john

Trickie Dick
06-06-2011, 09:03 PM
I also got my trailer wired and ready to go thanks to John(retread). He came up last Friday and spent the day getting it wired properly. I am also using the Hopkins converter that John mentioned. It's also wired to a PC-8. So far, so good. I would still trying to be figure out the power from the ground if it wasn't for John. So....

THANKS JOHN:thumbup:

retread
06-07-2011, 01:31 PM
Well, you DID buy lunch.:2thumbs:

john

funon3
06-08-2011, 12:08 AM
After we got the hitch installed Dick, glad to hear that you got the wiring worked out with John's help. I assume that you got your trailer by now--how do you like it? If I ever decide to get a trailer at least I know where to go for install and wiring help now:clap:.

Trickie Dick
06-08-2011, 09:43 AM
After we got the hitch installed Dick, glad to hear that you got the wiring worked out with John's help. I assume that you got your trailer by now--how do you like it? If I ever decide to get a trailer at least I know where to go for install and wiring help now:clap:.
Hi Tom
How is Minnesota? Hope you are enjoying the lake. I noticed it was 102 in Minneapolis yesterday. Working on your tan:roflblack:
I really like the trailer so far. I have only pulled in on a couple of short test rides. Next week to Tennessee and North Carolina. Then I'll know.
John is a very good wire man. I can recommend him highly...cheap too. :clap:

funon3
06-11-2011, 12:48 AM
Dick, no work on a tan where I am in MN yet:gaah:. Has been pretty cool and cloudy most of the time since I got here with lows in the 40's and highs in the 50's & 60's most of the time. Sounds like it may improve next week :clap:. Hope you have a good trip to TN and out east and enjoy the trailer. Have a safe ride.