PDA

View Full Version : Insurance help

KyleKruko44
05-31-2011, 04:06 PM
I am the proud new owner of a 2011 RS-S SM5 :spyder2:in Metallic Black. On the way home I starting calling on insurance. I know, usually you do that before you buy something, but I was going to buy it regardless. So first I called AAA, thats who vehicles are through. They wont even cover a three wheeled bike. So then I called progressive who my boat was through that I traded in and they quoted me over $1K annually. Sounded steep. Lastly I called Farm Bureau who my home is through and I am waiting for them to get back with me. Anyone else go through this. I should add that I am 25 with a clean driving record from Michigan. thanks for any help

ntxYguy2009
05-31-2011, 04:10 PM
Try Mcgraw Insurance:

Www.mcgrawdirect.com

IWN2RYD
05-31-2011, 04:22 PM
:welcome::congrats:

There are a lot of threads on this subject. Might be best to do a search as you will find...

No two insurance policies/costs are the same...
To many variables in the "Charges" from insurance companies to nail it down...
One company works for one and never will another...
Best to shop as you are as this will be your net results...

Ones to try...

Foremost (AKA Farmers)
State Farm
Geico
Progressive
Independent Agency (Has multiple outlets to find the best deal)
Www.mcgrawdirect.com (http://www.mcgrawdirect.com/)

One other thing... Please try and get a few quotes with all your insurance at one company. One of the easiest ways I save money for our clients is to do this. Not to mention the education folks get in having a personal agent vs. the fast food style of the internet/800# companies...:thumbup:

Mr. White
05-31-2011, 05:03 PM
I have always had good dealings with GEICO and they have tow insurance very reasonably priced...shop around, make a list of the coverage you want first...shop apples to apples....

:spyder2:

woodchuck
05-31-2011, 05:36 PM
I am the proud new owner of a 2011 RS-S SM5 :spyder2:in Metallic Black. On the way home I starting calling on insurance. I know, usually you do that before you buy something, but I was going to buy it regardless. So first I called AAA, thats who vehicles are through. They wont even cover a three wheeled bike. So then I called progressive who my boat was through that I traded in and they quoted me over $1K annually. Sounded steep. Lastly I called Farm Bureau who my home is through and I am waiting for them to get back with me. Anyone else go through this. I should add that I am 25 with a clean driving record from Michigan. thanks for any help

I got ins. through Geico. Very reasonable an d a lot of coverage. But then it depends where you live.
Good Luck

Dudley
05-31-2011, 06:49 PM
I have GMAC insurance. Where I live in California I pay less than $500/year for full coverage. Do it all by phone.

KyleKruko44
05-31-2011, 06:51 PM
I have always had good dealings with GEICO and they have tow insurance very reasonably priced...shop around, make a list of the coverage you want first...shop apples to apples....

Thanks for the help guys. I never know what the norm is when they ask how much you want to insure for this or that.

Chick
05-31-2011, 06:54 PM

I am from Coldwater and had Progressive with my BMW K1200LT but they wanted way too much for the Spyder. Try Foremost, much better price.

bone crusher
05-31-2011, 07:53 PM

+1. All insurance looks great until you have a claim...it's at this point that GEICO rocks. I've dealt with many insurance companies and GEICO definitely rates at the top.

KipDM
06-01-2011, 01:17 AM
i use Culver motorcycle insurance.
http://www.motorcycleinsuranceus.com/

they actually shop around for you and get a policy with a big company (mine went through Progressive) at a good rate.

my Spyder insurance costs less than my car insurance per year. (car roughly 600/yr, Spyder about 550).

of course it varies form state to state what the minimums are.

i called my State Farm agent (who does our cars and our house) and they wanted 1k/yr.

SpydermanCT
06-01-2011, 04:26 AM
Try Marc Fischer @ http://bikersins.com/contact.aspx

Bob Denman
06-01-2011, 06:46 AM
Find yourself an Independent Agent who can shop you and your bike around for the best combination of cost versus coverages... Insurance companies will often target their desired market with rates that seem pretty low in an attempt to write as much of that type of business as they can. Conversely, they will also sets rates higher on types of risks that they really don't want to entertain... (Dis-incentives!)
An Agent can help you navigate through all of this mess...

CyncySpyder
06-01-2011, 06:48 AM
:agree:
Try Marc Fischer @ http://bikersins.com/contact.aspx

The :spyder2: was my 1st byke & I was clueless about MC Insurance. Everywhere I called was outrageous til someone on here recommended Marc Fisher & he was able to get me full coverage with towing & everything for almost 1/2 of what the other companies were quoting me. Great service as well :thumbup: Can't hurt to give him a chance to earn your business & probably save some $$ as well :2thumbs: Good luck in yur search & let us know how you make out :clap:

boborgera
06-01-2011, 06:55 AM
Find yourself an Independent Agent who can shop you and your bike around for the best combination of cost versus coverages... Insurance companies will often target their desired market with rates that seem pretty low in an attempt to write as much of that type of business as they can. Conversely, they will also sets rates higher on types of risks that they really don't want to entertain... (Dis-incentives!)
An Agent can help you navigate through all of this mess...

:agree:I went with a independent agent years ago, I'm insured with Foremost though him.:thumbup:

BikerDoc
06-01-2011, 07:02 AM
Your age is likely to work against you with most companies even with a clean driving record.. They tend to lump people without consideration with individual facts.. Your age is just one year removed from the incredibly high risk driver zone to the high risk driver zone for typical companies.. Also you have limited experience since you haven't been around as long as us old timers..
I agree with most of what's said above - but it will be harder for you to find low cost than someone older.

Bob Denman
06-01-2011, 07:59 AM
The companies will use your age, driving record, garaging location, bike type and coverages desired to come up with a rate...
Take an approved motorcycle safety course and you could save some money also! :thumbup:

retiredsquid
06-01-2011, 12:41 PM
I have Progressive via USAA. I got a nice discount for being a USAA member for 20+ years. Plus, discounts for attending a certified Motorcycle Safety Course and having a motorcycle endorsement. Plus, Progressive gives a very nice discount for paying the annual premium in advance.:2thumbs:

KyleKruko44
06-01-2011, 06:57 PM
Thanks for the advice everyone. I called and called around. Everyone was giving me quotes of $1000-$12000 (progressive, farmers, farm bureau, AAA, and more. I then called up State farm and they quoted me $550 for the same line of coverage as the rest. Made my day to say the least. The great part of all of this too was not ONE person knew what a Spyder was. They all said "Can Am?, can you spell that? Thanks again for all your help!

arizonaegg
06-01-2011, 07:17 PM
Contact Pacific at 1-800-303-5000 we got a good rate for the year for 1/3 of what Progressive wanted with better coverage.

BioSab
06-01-2011, 08:05 PM
I went with progressive today they beat gieco by almost $700

KyleKruko44
06-01-2011, 08:43 PM
I went with progressive today they beat gieco by almost $700
Im sure theyres a lot of factors. I live in michigan and its no fault insurance and Im 25, proggressive was one of the highest ones for me. AAA wouldnt even insure a spyder for whatever reason.

ronrico
06-01-2011, 09:29 PM
I shopped around before I got Geico. It was the lowest for the coverage I wanted. Living in Nevada any insurance is not cheap so I was happy with the price I am paying with Geico.

spyder3
06-01-2011, 09:36 PM
:agree:

The :spyder2: was my 1st byke & I was clueless about MC Insurance. Everywhere I called was outrageous til someone on here recommended Marc Fisher & he was able to get me full coverage with towing & everything for almost 1/2 of what the other companies were quoting me. Great service as well :thumbup: Can't hurt to give him a chance to earn your business & probably save some $$ as well :2thumbs: Good luck in yur search & let us know how you make out :clap:

for that matter, read the application carefully.

Tru-Blue
06-02-2011, 12:34 AM
I have Progressive via USAA. I got a nice discount for being a USAA member for 20+ years. Plus, discounts for attending a certified Motorcycle Safety Course and having a motorcycle endorsement. Plus, Progressive gives a very nice discount for paying the annual premium in advance.:2thumbs:

Ditto.... That is what I did! USAA & Progressive
I have been pleased over the years :2thumbs:

illuzion
06-02-2011, 01:08 AM
I went with progressive and I'm 28. Costs me about $780 for full coverage. I have my cars with esurance but they quoted me $2000/year :yikes:

Bob Denman
06-02-2011, 06:50 AM
AAA wouldnt even insure a spyder for whatever reason.

If AAA won't touch it; call AA! (They have better parties! :roflblack::roflblack:)

ARtraveler
06-02-2011, 11:45 AM
Lots of ideas and solutions above. I recommend working with a local agent who knows you, and will be the one to deal with when and if the coverage is needed.

Have had State Farm since 1965--they cover my home and all three vehicles--1 car--two motorcycles. My coverage runs about $60 per month for each of my motorcycles--RTS and a Vulcan.

Rates are based on age, driving record, location---etc, etc, etc.

The three times I have had accidents--with the car---never on the bikes--they have come through and paid what was needed to get me back on the road. All accidents someone elses fault--so my rates did not even go up based on the claims. (one car was totaled).

I have said this many times--cheapest is not necessarily the best--its cheap because they have to cut something. My last accident involved an out of control driver on icey roads--that smacked the right side of my Subaru--did $2000 damage. The driver came way to fast up to a stoplight at an intersection--slammed on the brakes and started doing 360's on the ice. They were insured by Geico--who promptly refuted the claim--they said I was hit because I was in the wrong place at the wrong time---State Farm got me the money anyway. The offending driver also took out two other vehicles and totaled her car. Fortunately, no one was injured in the accident.

I avoided major damage because Subaru was able to drive up the center snow berm to avoid additional problems. After the hit--I headed for the median and avoided the rest of the chaos.