PDA

View Full Version : Rear Shock Question

jvirga
05-31-2011, 03:50 PM
I just had the 3000 mi oil change/check up on my RT-AC. The dealer told me my rear shock was defective. He demonstrated how my spyder 'clunked' on the upstroke when the rear was forced down and then released. He did the same to a new 2011 RT. The rebound was smooth and withiout any sudden stop or 'clunking' noise.

The dealer told me that there was a bulletin concerning this issue. He ordered a replacement. All the work is under warranty. He told me that I can still ryde the way it is but it will be much better with the new parts

Has anyone out there had a similar issue? :helpsmilie:

pitbull
05-31-2011, 04:02 PM
I just had the 3000 mi oil change/check up on my RT-AC. The dealer told me my rear shock was defective. He demonstrated how my spyder 'clunked' on the upstroke when the rear was forced down and then released. He did the same to a new 2011 RT. The rebound was smooth and withiout any sudden stop or 'clunking' noise.

The dealer told me that there was a bulletin concerning this issue. He ordered a replacement. All the work is under warranty. He told me that I can still ryde the way it is but it will be much better with the new parts

Has anyone out there had a similar issue? :helpsmilie: It does happen, and not uncommon, We see about 1 in 20 to 30 have and issue with this....maybe a little less! No worries easy fix, about an hour or so, and you'l love the inprovment, if trouble continues....GO ELKA and you never go wrong!

DougB
05-31-2011, 04:51 PM
I found the same clunk on my 2010 RT. My dealers mechanic checked it on the 600 mile checkup. Told me the air bag was fine. I'm changing dealers. Replaced my rear out of pocket with an Elka. Beware of Loves Park Motorsports.

pitbull
05-31-2011, 04:57 PM
I found the same clunk on my 2010 RT. My dealers mechanic checked it on the 600 mile checkup. Told me the air bag was fine. I'm changing dealers. Replaced my rear out of pocket with an Elka. Beware of Loves Park Motorsports.
NICE mod! and great peolpe...ELKA that is

Trooper
05-31-2011, 05:00 PM

Im not sure if there is a misunderstanding, but do not confuse the airbag with the shock...they are two seperate devices.

The airbag sits on top of the shock and allows you to control " preload" in the situation of adding weight to the rear with a passenger or extra baggage.

The shock itself controls the dampening of bumps from the road. The clunking you hear is caused by the shock and not the airbag from what I understand.

ThreeWheels
05-31-2011, 05:37 PM
I had the rear shock go, it was replaced under warranty.

The second one went bad in about 3 weeks and has since been replaced.

I don't have much hope for the THIRD OEM shock.

The problem is, there is no intermediate one available. The OEM shock at under $100 is a POS. The next option is an ELKA somewhere north of $1000. That's too rich for my blood. I'm OK with the stock performance, I'm just terribly disappointed with the reliability.

I wish there was something in the $300 range, I'd be all over that. Until then, I have to live with replacing the OEM one.

DougB
05-31-2011, 06:37 PM
Trooper @ Elka. I knew that. The mechanic was the one that didn't. Even after I told him about the clunk and how to test the shock.

Trooper
06-01-2011, 10:06 AM
Trooper @ Elka. I knew that. The mechanic was the one that didn't. Even after I told him about the clunk and how to test the shock.

Gotcha. :thumbup:

SocalT
06-01-2011, 05:29 PM
Guys is that definitive test on the shock being bad. Mine clunks when pushed down and released, took to the dealer and they said that there was no problem..

freebob
06-01-2011, 05:46 PM
Guys is that definitive test on the shock being bad. Mine clunks when pushed down and released, took to the dealer and they said that there was no problem..

No it shouldn't clunk more than not a sure sign shock is bad there have been a few cases on here about shock on RT and replace under warranty..

Freebob...:doorag:

dchandler001
06-01-2011, 05:59 PM
When i took my bike in for 6,ooo mile checkup the dealer told me my rear shock was bad and replaced it under warranty. Also at the same time they did 2 other warranty updates. No complaints from me.:2thumbs:

2NFrnt
06-01-2011, 06:04 PM

As far as I am concerned it is. I had 2 "factory" rear shocks replaced under warranty and was on my way to the 3rd one when I decided to go to the ELKA. I love the ELKA 2Way Plus, no problems since it was installed.