PDA

View Full Version : vicious cycle

MMcc
05-30-2011, 02:18 PM
Back to dealer 4 times in 5 weeks. 2008 SE5 GS with 7600 miles. First it would not shift into reverse. Also ABS warning on screen. Dealer replaced shifting switch and adjusted the wheel sensor. 1 week for parts. Rode it home without problems. Then the engine started to miss and lose power:gaah:. Bad plug wire boot shorting directly to engine. Replaced rear plug wire and both spark plugs, my cost, as they felt that someone had damaged the boot. Waited 1 week for parts. Picked it up and rode about 10 miles before it started to miss again:gaah:. Returned it to dealer, the other plug wire now failed. They put a 'bandage' on the wire so I could continue to ride while waiting for the other plug wire. Weather has been bad so have not ridden more than 35 miles with temporary repairs, went out today to ride, got 1 mile from home, limp home mode, vss, abs, dps all scrolled across screen:yikes:. Back to dealer tomorrow. My :spyder2: has traveled almost as far on the trailer in the past month as it has being ridden. Starting to get frustrated.:helpsmilie: Dealer is doing his job but the spyder keeps coming up with new failure modes. Thanks for letting me vent. We will see what tomorrow brings.

SpyderAnn01
05-30-2011, 02:40 PM
Good luck at the dealer. Did you buy yours used?

aka1004
05-30-2011, 03:20 PM
I feel your pain, man I really do.
My spyder has been in shop since September.... Basically.
Went in in September, got it out in february, 1 week and "clunk" went back in and they just finished collecting all the parts and will get on it next week.

MMcc
05-30-2011, 04:15 PM
Yes, bought it used with a little over 12xx miles. Still under warranty. Bought Best warranty to extend for 1 more year. Had 6000 trouble free miles and now this. I know the repairs will be covered but back to the dealer so many times is a pain. Got it set up like I want it now. Hard side saddle bags, RT shocks, risers, belt tensioner to reduce vibration, fog lights, corbin seat. Was thinking about Maggie Valley but not now. Need to get some confidence back first.

fispyder
05-30-2011, 04:39 PM
sorry to hear about your problems, maybe this time the dealer with have it fixed so your can spend the rest of the summer riding.

Lamonster
05-30-2011, 04:47 PM
Replaced rear plug wire and both spark plugs, my cost, as they felt that someone had damaged the boot. Waited 1 week for parts. Picked it up and rode about 10 miles before it started to miss again:gaah:. Returned it to dealer, the other plug wire now failed. They put a 'bandage' on the wire so I could continue to ride while waiting for the other plug wire.
Sorry to hear about your issues. If the dealer replaced both plugs the last time then they were the last one to touch the plug wires. Plugs don't just go bad at 12K, I have 50K on mine with the same plug wires. :dontknow:

MMcc
05-31-2011, 10:20 PM
Just heard from the dealer this afternoon. Speed sensor needs to be replaced. On order, should arrive next week some time. Another week without the :spyder: It will be covered under warranty as will replacing the second plug wire. Not good riding weather now, at least that is what I tell myself.

Changed out the plugs last time because the tech felt that the one plug was fouled due to raw gas. This was the cause of the muffler fire. He then checked the other plug wire and boot and it was fine but I did have him replace both plugs with the platinium iridium. Of course then the second plug wire failed 10 miles from the dealer. I did contact Carlo and discussed having this done under warranty but he said that the first boot failed from damage not manufacturing defect. Since the present dealer is 2000 miles from the dealer that did the last service I felt it was not worth the time or effort, just bite the bullet and pay the price.

There are no big issues just nagging little things that keep the :spyder2: in the shop and not on the road. If this keeps up soon all the sensors will be replaced so I guess that is not a bad thing. I just wonder what is the next part to fail. Wish the dealers had a better inventory of parts so I don't always have to wait on shipping from Canada. Hope to be back riding next Thursday.

ThreeWheels
06-01-2011, 04:25 AM
One week for shipping seems excessive. My dealer gets parts in one to two days.

arntufun
06-01-2011, 04:39 AM
Wish the dealers had a better inventory of parts so I don't always have to wait on shipping from Canada.

:agree::agree::agree::agree::agree::agree: My dealer carrys NO parts for the Spyder. It takes 4 days minimal for parts to come in. When I had my Honda CBR 900, the Honda dealer had plenty of parts for it. And if they didn't have it in stock, the part would be there the next day from a US based warehouse. BRP should take lessons from Honda.