PDA

View Full Version : Can't Open Seat

Erags
05-28-2011, 03:14 PM
Yesterday, we were riding from Pensacola to Jackson, MS. We stopped for gas at about 60 miles from the house. At the pump, I shut down the Spyder and turn the key to unlock the seat so I could get to the gas cap. The seat would not release, so I tried the trunk and it would not open either. No emergency release on the trunk, so no way to get to tools. So after looking things over and unable to see anyway to get things open. We drove back to the dealer 50 miles. It took them about 20 minutes to get the seat unlatched and then they got the trunk open. The key would just turn when pushed in to open the seat or the trunk, but it would still work to turn on and off the Spyder. We was lucky that we stopped early to buy gas.

As anyone else had a problem unlatch the seat? I'm taking the latch off the seat, so I will not have to worry about having my seat locked shut and not being able to get gas.

Going to look at getting an emergency trunk release installed when I get my Spyder back.

BikerDoc
05-28-2011, 03:25 PM
I have had the trunk problems a few times but this is the first I have heard on the seat latch..Glad you were close to the dealer.. The last time my trunk wouldn't open I was at Spyderfest and had to wear the same clothes an extra day until Cowtown opened to work on the trunk and save me..

acinpcola
05-28-2011, 03:27 PM
What dealer did you take your :spyder:to? I use the one in Gulf Shores on Hwy. 59.

Be Safe
AC:spyder2:

groundeffect
05-28-2011, 03:29 PM
Yesterday, we were riding from Pensacola to Jackson, MS. We stopped for gas at about 60 miles from the house. At the pump, I shut down the Spyder and turn the key to unlock the seat so I could get to the gas cap. The seat would not release, so I tried the trunk and it would not open either. No emergency release on the trunk, so no way to get to tools. So after looking things over and unable to see anyway to get things open. We drove back to the dealer 50 miles. It took them about 20 minutes to get the seat unlatched and then they got the trunk open. The key would just turn when pushed in to open the seat or the trunk, but it would still work to turn on and off the Spyder. We was lucky that we stopped early to buy gas.

As anyone else had a problem unlatch the seat? I'm taking the latch off the seat, so I will not have to worry about having my seat locked shut and not being able to get gas.

Going to look at getting an emergency trunk release installed when I get my Spyder back.

Glad the dealer got things opened - but can you share any tips on how they opened the seat while it was latched/stuck shut?

thanks.

Erags
05-28-2011, 03:47 PM
I call both Pensacola and Gulf Shores, Gulf Shores said they were closing in an hour and I could not get to them before that and they could not help me, so we drove back to Pensacola.

They stated trying to get to the bottom of the Key switch but wasn't getting anyplace with that, so then they took off a side panel and then they were able to reach in under the seat and release it, but you need a 30 torx to take the side off and with the tools in the trunk. So you need the emergency trunk release so you can get to your tools.

Erags
05-28-2011, 03:49 PM
Question does the seat need to be locked down? Or why is the seat locked down

acinpcola
05-28-2011, 04:08 PM
To venture a guess as to why the seat is locked down, I would have to say the gas tank input. As with cars that have latched fuel doors.

Be Safe

DougB
05-28-2011, 04:14 PM
Just remove the post from the seat that goes into the latch.

elixermixer
05-28-2011, 05:23 PM
sounds weird ive had my seat or trunk not want to open but it was from too much pressure on the latch and my key would not turn all the way (it would feel forced). i found pressing on the trunk and or seat and then turning the key released the pressure on the latch (since the seat or trunk post is pulling up against the latch) if the pressure is to much it does not like to open. i dont know if this seems similar to how it felt for you turning the key but it might help others in similar situations like stuffing too much in the frunk etc :thumbup:

Firefly
05-28-2011, 05:31 PM

RS or RT ??

freebob
05-28-2011, 05:46 PM

Had to check to see what Model Spyder you had...OK RS Did Dealer get
key to work, Something must be broke or disconnected in mechanism,
Seat is fine without latching but frunk needs to latch...

Freebob...:doorag:

NancysToy
05-28-2011, 08:15 PM
First, the dealer has an obligation to make these work reliably. Removing the latch pin is OK for a work-around, but the problem needs to be resolved. Could be in the mechanism at the handlebars, or could be improperly adjusted/secured cables, improperly adjusted/located latch pins, or a lubrication problem. The latches should be lubed, along with the pins. A waterproof grease is the specified lube, I believe. These should be lubed at the 600 mile service, and periodically thereafter.

An emergency trunk release (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6760) is a good idea...don't ask me how I know.

Erags
05-28-2011, 08:20 PM
The key would turn, but you got no restains, tried all of that, the dealer had to take the side off the Spyder, to get the seat unlatched, and to get the trunk open they used a very long screwdriver and when in from the side. So it looks to me like something in the switch broke and that was the way they was talking also. It is a 2008 GS, with 11960 miles

elixermixer
05-28-2011, 08:39 PM
that sucks, lucky like u said u stopped early for gas

ARtraveler
05-28-2011, 09:45 PM
glad you got it fixed. I removed the locking pin when I installed the Corbin seats. Have had no problems with the seat unlocked.

lonnibdd
05-28-2011, 09:58 PM
I had a similar problem but it wasnt the latch form the frunk or seat I snapped my key off the other day o boy what a fun time that was. ripped whole ignt. switch out right down to the barrel that the key goes in with all the little locksets and played played played some more and then got it worked out boy was i sweating. Reason I say this is i think mine was in a bind That is alot of movement on a key like that going back and forth even if all is lubed and such imop

bone crusher
05-28-2011, 11:15 PM
glad you got it fixed. I removed the locking pin when I installed the Corbin seats. Have had no problems with the seat unlocked.

I assume that one can purchase a gas cap that has a lock on it? Are sizes universal for that?

Star Cruiser
05-29-2011, 12:53 AM
To venture a guess as to why the seat is locked down, I would have to say the gas tank input. As with cars that have latched fuel doors.

Be Safe

Also the "hatch" in the carrier is opened by pulling the red release. I use this to keep my wallet in while riding, for comfort of not sitting on it for long trips. IT is also needed to release the plate and put on the passenger backrest. Less of a security concern to be sure.

ARtraveler
05-29-2011, 01:10 PM
Have the Corbin seat with the gas door. I have not had a need to go to a locking gas cap--so did not even think about that. I am in the garage at night--and am fortunate enough to work in areas that are not problematic.

I even left the key in one of our Spyders (by mistake) one night at Pikes Landing resort in Fairbanks, AK--parked in the front row--side by side--both were there in the morning--no problems. I did feel that I got lucky though.

kawakii
05-29-2011, 03:26 PM
We have the corbin seat as well with the gas door so we dont have to life up the seat to refuel. We did this so when I'm the passenger I dont have to get off the bike everytime we refuel as that means undoing the wheelchair, transfering etc... quicker for me to just stay on the bike. We order a locking gas cap but no one seems to notice or mess with our gas tank door--at least since we bought it 1 1/2 months ago.

Erags
05-30-2011, 05:02 PM
Can someone tell me where I can see a parts breakdown of the key switch. what I'm looking for is the part that operates the seat cable and the frunk cable. This is where it seems I had the problem.

Erags
06-01-2011, 07:22 PM
Called the dealer today and was told they have parts on order to fix the problem. Was told they was having to get a new switch and something else not sure just what all they are getting, so everyone needs to think about how you would open your seat if the key switch doesn't work. This might be a one in a million problem, but think about it and make plans. I was total lost when it happen, but was lucky I had enough gas to get to dealer.

Arthur---Mexico
06-01-2011, 08:10 PM
After hearing these horror stories about the seat not releasing, tomorrow I am going to replace the notched latching pin that secures the seat of me Spyder from opening with a straight pin with no locking notches on it so that I will never get locked out. I will replace the pin instead of just removing it because the pin serves to stabilize the seat from sideway movement. If you want to steal my gasoline feel free to do so. Arthur---Mexico City