PDA

View Full Version : to use or not to use. that is the question.

Questions
05-28-2011, 11:13 AM
i was talking to a few friend that have been riding bikes for most of their lives. they tell me when i am up shifting they say not to use the clutch and when i down shift i need to use the clutch. anyone got any thoughts on this?

Firefly
05-28-2011, 11:19 AM
i was talking to a few friend that have been riding bikes for most of their lives. they tell me when i am up shifting they say not to use the clutch and when i down shift i need to use the clutch. anyone got any thoughts on this?

The bike was designed with a clutch for a reason--- to be used--- and it should be 'most' of the time.

You certainly *can* easily do upshifts without the clutch by blipping the throttle-- but it's really just for more 'performance' riding to shave a little time between gears-- or when you're hanging off the bike and can't reach the clutch---- :D

So you can do it--- but it should not be considered 'normal operating procedure' for most riders and most conditions.

freebob
05-28-2011, 11:30 AM
The bike was designed with a clutch for a reason--- to be used--- and it should be 'most' of the time.

You certainly *can* easily do upshifts without the clutch by blipping the throttle-- but it's really just for more 'performance' riding to shave a little time between gears-- or when you're hanging off the bike and can't reach the clutch---- :D

So you can do it--- but it should not be considered 'normal operating procedure' for most riders and most conditions.

:agree: A blip of clutch works for me...:thumbup:

Freebob..:doorag:

Bob Denman
05-28-2011, 06:28 PM
True; blipping the throttle will work in order to get things "lined up"... As long as everything is going fine! :shocked: Make a mistake though and things can start getting expensive... You paid for a clutch lever; why not get your money's worth out of it? :D

SpyderWolf
05-29-2011, 10:05 AM
If you didn't want to clutch you should have bought an SE5 model. :D

napper39
05-29-2011, 11:48 AM
these spyders are too much money and you dont want to make a money eater mad ,its sure to coast you.but it can be done but all the electrronic system might let you see the limp mode.:lecturef_smilie::congrats::spyder2::chat: have fun and ride like the wind.but with the clitch.:spyder:

Firefly
05-29-2011, 12:10 PM
So here's a question for you SE users--- I've ridden one a few times and the shifting is QUICK --- like you can just keep the throttle hammered and bang thru the gears. Seems like it just cuts the engine for a sec for you......

Is the SE actually using the clutch during it's fast shifting?

I know aftermarket shift-kits like the Pingel and Klicktronic units just cut the engine for a sec and shift without using the clutch.

Seems to me that other than the centrifugal clutch it uses for take-off from 1st gear there wouldn't really be a need to clutch between gears.

Anyone know for sure?

Bob Denman
05-29-2011, 12:27 PM
That is a very good question... :dontknow:

ARtraveler
05-29-2011, 01:01 PM
:agree:with the above. Have always used the clutch on my manual motorcycles. Heard they can be shifted without--but have not done it more that a couple times. I am afraid of breaking something.

SpyderWolf
05-29-2011, 01:07 PM
So here's a question for you SE users--- I've ridden one a few times and the shifting is QUICK --- like you can just keep the throttle hammered and bang thru the gears. Seems like it just cuts the engine for a sec for you......

Is the SE actually using the clutch during it's fast shifting?

I know aftermarket shift-kits like the Pingel and Klicktronic units just cut the engine for a sec and shift without using the clutch.

Seems to me that other than the centrifugal clutch it uses for take-off from 1st gear there wouldn't really be a need to clutch between gears.

Anyone know for sure?

I know it kills the ignition for about 2 milliseconds, shifts the gears, and then cuts the ignition back on. It does this so fast that you may not even realize it is cutting anything off during the shift. I believe it is still using a clutch, but it is an electronic one. That is why the SE is $1500 more than the SM, it is not just a different shifter mechanism as the tranny has an oil filter as well.

Firefly
05-29-2011, 02:16 PM
I know it kills the ignition for about 2 milliseconds, shifts the gears, and then cuts the ignition back on. It does this so fast that you may not even realize it is cutting anything off during the shift. I believe it is still using a clutch, but it is an electronic one. That is why the SE is $1500 more than the SM, it is not just a different shifter mechanism as the tranny has an oil filter as well.

I dunno--- I don't have schematics to the SE-- but I'm really thinking it's not using the clutch between gears and that the extra cooling and filter are to handle the centrifugal clutch it uses at takeoff......

SpyderWolf
05-29-2011, 05:12 PM
I dunno--- I don't have schematics to the SE-- but I'm really thinking it's not using the clutch between gears and that the extra cooling and filter are to handle the centrifugal clutch it uses at takeoff......

It probably does get pretty hot when doing burnouts at take off. :D

COOLMACHINE
05-29-2011, 06:40 PM
I agree they make a clutch for a reason. The only reason I have rode without using the clutch was when my clutch cable broke and I had to get home.