PDA

View Full Version : No fear of rain!!!

sealfloorboards
05-27-2011, 11:15 AM
Hi all,

I live in Oregon. Guess what, it rains ALOT! Wed. when I was in Salem getting my 600 mi. service, I decided on a whim to buy some rain gear. I bought a River Road, High n' Dry pant and jacket set. It's very lightweight nylon and only about $65. Of course yesterday it rained, as predicted. Well, it was time to get over my fear of rain. I have ridden for about 8 yrs. and just don't ride in rain. Don't like cold, don't like wet, don't like wet roads or rain in my face and glasses.

I Got all decked out in my warmest clothes, gloves and full helmet w/ face shield (which i seldom wear)and my new rain gear over it all, and off I went for a 20 mi. ride to Costco. It was actually fun. I stayed warm (56 was the high for the day) and best of all dry. I ended up riding about 80 mlles in total. No big deal! I'm here to tell ya, my RT SE5 did just great. I rode it with complete confidence. It handled wonderfully. I did some Freeway riding as well as some beautiful twisty country riding (Wilsonville Rd. for Dragonrider). Went out last night to a meeting in the rain till after dark. The whole day was a great learning experience and I'm sure I'll have more time to experience Oregon Spring (rain) over the long holiday weekend. My riding time has just doubled.

There is one more thing I need to add and this is a bit of a commercial. I , of course, have Seal FloorBoards on my RT. I've always suspected, but never had a chance to really test it out, but they are terrific for keeping road water off my shoes. After a day of rainy riding, my leather shoes (sorry, not boots) were completely dry. Very cool.

Well, that was my great adventure. Rain is no longer my arch enemy. I prefer warm sunny weather but now that I have the right gear, I have no fear of the rain.

Ride in comfort,

John
Seal FloorBoards

ThreeFeet
05-27-2011, 11:20 AM
I have Frogg Toggs and absolutely stay dry!!! Have had 5 gal ea in tennis shoes on my RS but stay dry on theRT. Use boots mostly and they are loaded with mink oil so REALLY stay dry.:2thumbs:

Bob Denman
05-27-2011, 11:50 AM
TourMaster suit here... I too feel ready for the "toad stranglers!" :2thumbs:

boborgera
05-27-2011, 11:51 AM
I know what you're saying about it rains a lot out your way. I spent 9 months in Tacoma, Every time it stopped raining the locals would stare at the sun and go blind,
They couldn't figure out what that bight thing in the sky was.:shocked:

BikerDoc
05-27-2011, 12:02 PM
After 13 hours of rain on the way to Spyderfest I sure don't have any fear of riding in the rain anymore, however I still may not go out of my way to seek it out.. It was great to have good rain gear and I never go anywhere without it.

Dochands
05-27-2011, 12:11 PM
First Gear TPG pants and jackets. The only pants I have seen that have a rain gusset built in like on ski pants.

Bob Denman
05-27-2011, 12:21 PM
I know what you're saying about it rains a lot out your way. I spent 9 months in Tacoma, Every time it stopped raining the locals would stare at the sun and go blind,
They couldn't figure out what that bright thing in the sky was.:shocked:

:roflblack: You kind of start feeling like a vampire does just before they go "POOF" and disappear in the sunlight... :roflblack:

mxz600
05-27-2011, 01:03 PM
:roflblack: You kind of start feeling like a vampire does just before they go "POOF" and disappear in the sunlight... :roflblack:

Vampires, there is really such a thing as vampires? I'll never go out at night again.

Frogg toggs for me. Not saying they're the best but it's what I have and they keep me dry. I have shoe covers also but I have never used them. My short rides to and from work (ten miles each way) my feet never get wet.

The last couple of weeks it has been so rainy that my two wheel buddy's at work rode their bikes one day. I rode the Spyder every day. And on that glorious sunny day I had to comment, "I see the fair weather bikes are out today". I couldn't resist, trust me they make little remarks about my choice of ride so I have to give them a little back when I can.

Here is to fish tails, rooster tails and ABS. :2thumbs:

Questions
05-27-2011, 01:13 PM
John, I had a similar experience a couple of weeks ago. I was coming home from a PGR welcome home at the airport. It's about 30 miles from home. It was dark and started to pour. :yikes: I, like you, hate the rain. Hate the rain on my face shield and glasses. I don't see that well at night as it is. Also, I was very concerned about how the :spyder2: would perform in the rain as I haven't driven it in that hard of a downpour before.

It was pouring. The last 10 miles to my house (I live in the country) are 2 lane roads with no street lights, speed 50 MPH. If I had gone to much under the speed limit I would have been a sitting duck. I was so impressed with the :spyder2:. I could hear the wheels going through the standing water in the road, but it didn't sway at all. Straight down the road. It performs flawlessly in the rain. Everytime I take it out under a difficult situation, I am so glad I own a :spyder2: and am a :spyder2:lover. :yes:

Bob Denman
05-27-2011, 01:28 PM
:spyder:do seem to like the nasty weather... :2thumbs:

sealfloorboards
05-27-2011, 02:24 PM
After 13 hours of rain on the way to Spyderfest I sure don't have any fear of riding in the rain anymore, however I still may not go out of my way to seek it out.. It was great to have good rain gear and I never go anywhere without it.

Amen to that!

Mr. White
05-27-2011, 02:43 PM
I had a little less than 1/10th of an inch of rain in January...does this count as rain? Last week they declared this part of south Texas as "Extreme Drouth". I fill two tubs of water each morning and refill them at night for the deer. It draws a crowd.

:spyder2:

Spyder Cat
05-27-2011, 03:27 PM
:agree: And I'm glad you started this thread. I know there are Spyderlovers reading this, as well as others who are curious about the Spyders, who might be apprehensive.

I remember prior to March of last year, riding 2 up behind Vaughn on our 1500 Suzuki on our way to the coast and being so concerned about the road conditions. Having sold my motorcycles some 30 years before because of the instability, etc., many times I was not able to relax and enjoy the ride. :yikes:

Then in March, we bought our first Spyder, the RT :yes: and it didn't take long to see what a difference there was! Nine days later, he pulled into a parking lot and handed me the keys saying "Go for it! you know you want to!" Oh, yeah! I did too!!

I decided I wanted the RS . . . and that's when the fun started. But then, there I was, behind the controls again. :yikes: It was one thing to hang on, riding 2 up down the freeway, thru the twisties, the rain, wind, but quite another to be the 'designated driver'! :gaah:

So I was learning how to drive all over again! But it was all different. I remember tensing up everytime I encountered something new. Keeping on back roads, avoiding the freeways, oh, and I'll never pass a semi!!!!! :helpsmilie: But as the miles rolled by, getting to know the Spyders, how they handle, my grip has relaxed and my smiles have broadened.

I actually surprised myself a couple weeks ago when "somebody" had to pick up the new RT622 trailer at the dealer. Who me???? :yikes: alone, all by myself. 30 miles of freeway, passing semis, in the rain and blustery wind. And ya know, rather than trying to find an excuse NOT to go, I volunteered!!!! I was really looking forward to it. I mean REALLY!!!! And I really enjoyed it. (and the trailer handles like a dream! didn't even know it was there!)

So, yes John, I know just want you're talking about. For 30 years, I dreamed about riding thru the canyons again with the wind in my face, but never thought it would/could happen. And now, thanks to the Spyder, it is happening. :2thumbs: Rain or shine! the fun is not limited to fair weather. And it's all good! :yes: :yes: :yes:

Raptor
05-27-2011, 03:28 PM
I bet it does George. The Deer (I call them forest rats) became real pests for my Dad when he lived up in Mt. Shasta. He couldn't get rid of them short of shooting them. He didn't do that, of course, but the frustration level was there.

But then they sold that house and moved south closer to Redding, so the new owners inherited the little buggers!

I learned alot about rain riding this winter, that is for sure. I thought the Spyder handled pretty well in inclimate weather; much better than I anticipated. :D My Frank Thomas XTIii Waterproof gear did nust fine as well. When things got real bad I switched over to my Joe Rocket Ballistic 8 jacket and First Gear Pants. The Ballistic 8 is an amazing jacket. Nothing penetrates it.

SpyderWolf
05-27-2011, 05:53 PM
Glad to hear you are overcoming your fear of ryding in the rain. :thumbup:

sealfloorboards
05-27-2011, 06:01 PM
:agree: And I'm glad you started this thread. I know there are Spyderlovers reading this, as well as others who are curious about the Spyders, who might be apprehensive.

I remember prior to March of last year, riding 2 up behind Vaughn on our 1500 Suzuki on our way to the coast and being so concerned about the road conditions. Having sold my motorcycles some 30 years before because of the instability, etc., many times I was not able to relax and enjoy the ride. :yikes:

Then in March, we bought our first Spyder, the RT :yes: and it didn't take long to see what a difference there was! Nine days later, he pulled into a parking lot and handed me the keys saying "Go for it! you know you want to!" Oh, yeah! I did too!!

I decided I wanted the RS . . . and that's when the fun started. But then, there I was, behind the controls again. :yikes: It was one thing to hang on, riding 2 up down the freeway, thru the twisties, the rain, wind, but quite another to be the 'designated driver'! :gaah:

So I was learning how to drive all over again! But it was all different. I remember tensing up everytime I encountered something new. Keeping on back roads, avoiding the freeways, oh, and I'll never pass a semi!!!!! :helpsmilie: But as the miles rolled by, getting to know the Spyders, how they handle, my grip has relaxed and my smiles have broadened.

I actually surprised myself a couple weeks ago when "somebody" had to pick up the new RT622 trailer at the dealer. Who me???? :yikes: alone, all by myself. 30 miles of freeway, passing semis, in the rain and blustery wind. And ya know, rather than trying to find an excuse NOT to go, I volunteered!!!! I was really looking forward to it. I mean REALLY!!!! And I really enjoyed it. (and the trailer handles like a dream! didn't even know it was there!)

So, yes John, I know just want you're talking about. For 30 years, I dreamed about riding thru the canyons again with the wind in my face, but never thought it would/could happen. And now, thanks to the Spyder, it is happening. :2thumbs: Rain or shine! the fun is not limited to fair weather. And it's all good! :yes: :yes: :yes:

Beautifully put Cat. Who or what travel magazine did you say you wrote for.
BRP should have tears of joy in their eyes for s story like that. I know I do.

Ride in comfort,

John
Seal FloorBoards

Dragonrider
05-27-2011, 06:11 PM
John - I have all the gear, and have been forced to ride in the rain (even squalls) in the past. I hate it and will not ride in it willingly. I have a covered trailer to take it in for servicing in the rain. I refuse to use water to wash it….

Did you take your new ride to Cycle Sports? How was the service team?? The Portland shop left my RT outside - in the rain for two days - last time I let them work on it.

NancysToy
05-27-2011, 08:32 PM
Rain is nothing to fear...or even dislike, if you have the proper gear. (Thunderstorms are another matter.) Be aware that even with good gear it is possible to get wet or damp, but that is usually a result of something goofy or a mistake, like forgetting to close your neck tight, developing a fold when you sit down that folds upward...trapping water, or from treating your rainsuit roughly. Don't let it stop you, ride and learn from those little setbacks.

The Spyder is by far and away the best thing I have ever ridden in the rain. Other than some hydroplaning now and then, it is well-behaved, and always feels safe. I never let rain stop me on my BMW, and now I ride in even worse weather with the RTS. Current raingear is a BMW one-piece rainsuit (although I love my old Teknic two-piece), along with Tourmaster boot covers and neoprene fishing gloves. They do a good job. If any of you haven't ridden in the rain, get some gear and try it sometime. It gives you a great sense of accomplishment.

sealfloorboards
05-27-2011, 09:42 PM
John - I have all the gear, and have been forced to ride in the rain (even squalls) in the past. I hate it and will not ride in it willingly. I have a covered trailer to take it in for servicing in the rain. I refuse to use water to wash it….

Did you take your new ride to Cycle Sports? How was the service team?? The Portland shop left my RT outside - in the rain for two days - last time I let them work on it.

I went to Cycle Sports in Salem and was very impressed with the guys there. They really love to talk Spyder.

John

SpyderAnn01
05-27-2011, 09:46 PM
First Gear TPG pants and jackets. The only pants I have seen that have a rain gusset built in like on ski pants.

Unless it is really hot I always ride with my First Gear pants and jacket. I never have to pull over to put on rain gear. Well, sometimes I need to change gloves but that's about it. And my TCX boots always keep my feet dry.

Havasu Rider
05-27-2011, 09:58 PM
Now that the rain riding has been covered, anyone have a "sun suit" for the heat. Rode about 30 miles today and it was 104 when I got home. I was wetter than if I had been riding in the rain. Oh well, summer has come to western Arizona.:doorag:

BajaRon
05-27-2011, 10:23 PM
Now that the rain riding has been covered, anyone have a "sun suit" for the heat. Rode about 30 miles today and it was 104 when I got home. I was wetter than if I had been riding in the rain. Oh well, summer has come to western Arizona.:doorag:

Mesh pants and jacket make a big difference as long as you are moving because they allow a lot of air to circulate.

SpyderAnn01
05-27-2011, 10:26 PM

Send some sunshine east please! There are Cool Suits that run cold water through tubing in a vest similar to what Nascar drivers use.

boborgera
05-28-2011, 08:02 AM
Mesh pants and jacket make a big difference as long as you are moving because they allow a lot of air to circulate.

:agree:I've been using a Firstgear Mesh Jacket [armored] for years ' I find that at temps under 60 degrees it actually cools you a little too much.

sealfloorboards
05-28-2011, 10:12 AM
Gee, I guess I touched a button!!! Well, today will probably be another "rain riding practice" day. Maybe I should be a Postal carrier..."Neither rain, sleet nor...":roflblack: Now I really can

Ride in comfort,

John
Seal FloorBoards

NancysToy
05-28-2011, 07:09 PM
Gee, I guess I touched a button!!! Well, today will probably be another "rain riding practice" day. Maybe I should be a Postal carrier..."Neither rain, sleet nor...":roflblack: Now I really can

Ride in comfort,

John
Seal FloorBoards
:roflblack: See how popular riding in the rain is? You have joined a great sub-group of nuts. :roflblack:

sealfloorboards
05-29-2011, 10:05 AM
Sub group of nuts! Sub group of nuts! Hey Scotty, I was at SpyderFest ie. NutFest! Why do you think I felt so at home and had such a great time. I found my lost Tribe:roflblack::clap::2thumbs::bowdown:

GeminiJane
05-29-2011, 09:59 PM
:agree:I've been using a Firstgear Mesh Jacket [armored] for years ' I find that at temps under 60 degrees it actually cools you a little too much.

:yikes::yikes: I love my mesh jackets and pants....but I don't turn off my heated gear until mid to upper 70's. Mesh goes on at 85 degrees or above. At 95 or above, a dampened cooling vest goes under the mesh and I have goose bumps until we hit 100 degrees nojoke. At least the Spyder has plenty of space for all my assorted riding clothes needs! I never used my rain boot covers until this summer - use one to cover my cast on the Spyder so that bite-y or sting-y bugs don't fly into the open toe end of it.

Spyder Cat
05-29-2011, 10:49 PM
Sub group of nuts! Sub group of nuts! Hey Scotty, I was at SpyderFest ie. NutFest! Why do you think I felt so at home and had such a great time. I found my lost Tribe:roflblack::clap::2thumbs::bowdown:

:agree: Yes, and a fine group of nuts it is!

bikeguy
05-29-2011, 11:57 PM
Hey, John, next time you ride in the rain make a video and post it. Big Red 1 and I would just like to be able to see a little rain. It's been so long since we've had rain in west Texas that we've forgotten what it looks like.

But when it does rain I agree with the others that the Spyder is a nice ride in the rain. In cool weather I wear a Joe Rocket Ballistic jacket that turns the water very well and a Firstgear mesh jacket with a waterproof liner in warmer weather. Either season I wear a pair of Fieldsheer over pants and a pair of Roadman boots that I've had for at least 30 years and are no longer made. I've got some waterproof gloves but I just don't like to wear them so I usually just wear mesh gloves and let my hands get wet unless it's really cold. Right now, a nice ride in the rain would be great!

Cotton

sealfloorboards
05-30-2011, 10:58 AM
Hey, John, next time you ride in the rain make a video and post it. Big Red 1 and I would just like to be able to see a little rain. It's been so long since we've had rain in west Texas that we've forgotten what it looks like.

But when it does rain I agree with the others that the Spyder is a nice ride in the rain. In cool weather I wear a Joe Rocket Ballistic jacket that turns the water very well and a Firstgear mesh jacket with a waterproof liner in warmer weather. Either season I wear a pair of Fieldsheer over pants and a pair of Roadman boots that I've had for at least 30 years and are no longer made. I've got some waterproof gloves but I just don't like to wear them so I usually just wear mesh gloves and let my hands get wet unless it's really cold. Right now, a nice ride in the rain would be great!

Cotton

The next time I ride, it probably will be the next time it rains! I would be happy to share some ot Oregon's rain with you if I could. Hate to think I;m hogging it.