PDA

View Full Version : Simple Heat Solution

SPYDERPOPS
05-24-2011, 02:57 PM
SPYDERPOPS DOES IT AGAIN!
Eliminate the hot foot issues with your RT.
If you want to rest your foot on your new highway
pegs and find it very uncomfortable due to the heat
coming from the radiator the solution is here. We
installed dozens of the block off plates at Spyderfest
with great results. This is the idea that Lamonster wrote up
not long ago on the forum.
Beat the Heat today at www.spyderpops.com

SPYDERPOPS
05-24-2011, 03:29 PM
Here's a picture of the "La Bloc" installed. Go to
www.spyderpops.com (http://www.spyderpops.com) and get yours today.
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=430&pictureid=15334

SPYDERPOPS
05-24-2011, 05:07 PM
This is how the "La Bloc" (named after the designer) looks before it is installed. It is black polycarbonate with heat shield material laminated to the back.
Installation is very simple and comes with a special screw and clip
to hold it into place. After it is installed you will only have to remove
the lower body pan to help get rid of the hot air.
www.spyderpops.com (http://www.spyderpops.com)
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=430&pictureid=15335

wa3wheels
05-25-2011, 12:05 AM
I had this installed at Spyderfest and I am still on the road from Seattle,Wa. Area to Cuba,to St.Lewis did the Arch and Bud beer,then on to Knoxville,en n to Ashville for Bikefest. Next top the Blue Ridge Parkway, Deals Gap and surrounding area rides. Then on to Concord,NC for a couple of days,then on to Myrtle Beach,SC and followed Hwy.17 south to St.Augustine,Fl. And headed west to my current location of Gulfport,Ms. Then continuing West to interesting locations. This heat shield has been a ankle saver in the 90+ Temps that I have been traveling. Works as advertised and YES I would buy this item as with the Belt Guard again. Hope to see some that I met in Cuba at Spyders in the Redwoods. ( Ticketbait )

TicketBait
05-25-2011, 12:45 AM
wa3wheels, you are absolutely right, this is an ankle saver, I had yet to try it in high temps but know with all the traveling around the country you and John have been doing , that is awesome to know it is still working for you :firstplace:

Ray :PS ,really enjoy the email and photos you have been sending. ride safe :thumbup:

LaBlock was installed in 5 minutes by Harvey :2thumbs:

Below is a photo of my bike with Ray's(wa3wheels) right behind.:ohyea:

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e240/TicketBait/SpyderFest%202011/Spyderfest2011Cuba072.jpg

Lamonster
05-25-2011, 09:21 AM
I got to test this mod to the max on the way home. While driving through the desert I had constant temps of 104 to 107 for hundreds of miles. My temp never got over 5 bars and while stuck if traffic I had temps of 111 :yikes:

I can say without this mod it would have been a real bummer trying to use my highway pegs. This works great and I'm glad to see Harvey offering it here.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=494&pictureid=15345

stevedfive
05-25-2011, 04:24 PM
Before I remove the right side skid pan, what is it designed to protect or will there be anything exposed that could cause a warranty issue later?

SPYDERPOPS
05-25-2011, 04:51 PM
The only thing exposed will be more plastic. Some have taken a large hole saw and ventilated the air duct even more. I heard that one guy used a saws all to get more air out the bottom.

Water won't be a problem as it flows through most of the roadster anyway, if you really ride it.

stevedfive
05-25-2011, 05:10 PM
Thank you :2thumbs:

Havasu Rider
05-25-2011, 08:31 PM
Got mine at Spyderfest and it works great so far. It has already been over 100 degrees her and the temp. is the same before I installed it. :2thumbs:

Lamonster
05-25-2011, 08:42 PM
Before I remove the right side skid pan, what is it designed to protect or will there be anything exposed that could cause a warranty issue later?
The pans on both sides are not there to protect anything, they are there so they could pass the noise requirements.

SteveMac
05-25-2011, 08:45 PM
Heading to Florida Panhandle in July. Sounds like a must have item to me...! :shocked:

freebob
05-25-2011, 08:55 PM
Trying to order your Item SPY111 on your site,,,Site not responding....

Freebob...:doorag:

SteveMac
05-25-2011, 09:01 PM
I just ordererd belt guard and heat shield for RT.
Thanks! :ohyea:

Trying to order your Item SPY111 on your site,,,Site not responding....

Wingman
05-25-2011, 10:59 PM
Does anyone have instructions or guidance on removing the skid plate?

Phil
05-25-2011, 11:01 PM
Does anyone have instructions or guidance on removing the skid plate?

My question too.

Sent from my iPhone7 using Tapatalk

chickenhoose
05-25-2011, 11:24 PM
I just want to add, Harvey installed a belt guard, heat shield and catillitic guards for me at Spyderfest. Mine was in the back of the line in ticketbait's picture. I love the results.
A big hello to Ray/John,and Ticketbait all super people.

stevedfive
05-26-2011, 12:08 AM
I am having trouble removing it also. I got the two bolts from the center off. I removed the upper and lowers front side panels and then unscrewed the lower bolt to the skid pan, but it wont come out. Is there some type of retaining clip or something?

SPYDERPOPS
05-26-2011, 12:55 AM
Yes there is an assembly clip on the bolt if it has never been removed. It is there to hold part of it together going down the assembly line. I took A screwdriver and twisted it to hold the clip while turning the bolt. When the customer didn't care to keep the panel I would cut it at the tab and then tighten it back up.

stevedfive
05-26-2011, 09:49 AM
Thanks, I will look for it.

SPYDERPOPS
05-26-2011, 03:44 PM
I must add that it is very thin and is usually between the nut and radiator support. I have also taken needle nose pliers and twisted it to remove as it is brittle.

taggtr
05-26-2011, 10:57 PM
Ordered my heat shield today. Gonna start being in the 100's here in Tucson starting this weekend and this mod will definitely make riding in the heat more bearable on the right foot! Can't wait!

MarkLawson
05-27-2011, 10:10 AM
Harvey,

I ride with my highway brackets and pegs situated right at the lower opening on that side. I am looking for something to block that opening rather than the top. My assumption is that if I block the upper opening, it'll increase the airflow out the bottom opening and cause me more discomfort. Would that assumption be correct?

Any thoughts on a product for the bottom opening?

rfjames
05-29-2011, 03:53 PM
SPYDERPOPSDOES IT AGAIN!
Eliminate the hot foot issues with your RT.
If you want to rest your foot on your new highway
pegs and find it very uncomfortable due to the heat
coming from the radiator the solution is here. We
installed dozens of the block off plates at Spyderfest
with great results. This is the idea that Lamonster wrote up
not long ago on the forum.
Beat the Heat today at www.spyderpops.com (http://www.spyderpops.com)

Would this work on my 2009 RS SE5?:helpsmilie:

SPYDERPOPS
05-29-2011, 04:50 PM
Harvey,

I ride with my highway brackets and pegs situated right at the lower opening on that side. I am looking for something to block that opening rather than the top. My assumption is that if I block the upper opening, it'll increase the airflow out the bottom opening and cause me more discomfort. Would that assumption be correct?

Any thoughts on a product for the bottom opening?

I'm looking into it, can you pm me a picture of the HWY peg so I can see where if is located?

SPYDERPOPS
05-29-2011, 04:56 PM
Would this work on my 2009 RS SE5?:helpsmilie:

We do make the air management system, however it makes all of the hot air go out the vent and under the body. This keeps your right foot from roasting with your foot on the stock peg and brake pedal. Without the air mansgement we have discovered that the heat when either going slow or stopped can be unbearable on the right foot. By adding HWY pegs you can at least get your foot in the moving air where when holding the brake it's not an option.

taggtr
06-01-2011, 04:56 PM
Installed mine this morning and went riding today in 100+ AZ temps! Amazing difference! Was pretty east to install including the removal of the plate underneath! Looks sweet too!

freebob
06-01-2011, 06:19 PM
Harvey, I installed Shield yesterday and heat on ankle area is 100% Improved, Rode today here and outside temp still in the 90's...and
I was comfortable no excessive heat on ankle area...Thanks..

IWN2RYD
06-01-2011, 06:41 PM
Now we just need to find the pretty blue paint to match it... Or just airbrush the amount of frowns turned upside down on it :roflblack::ohyea:

http://www.studyzone.org/testprep/math4/b/5tally2.gif

spyder3
06-01-2011, 09:31 PM
Both myself and my passenger seem to be getting high heat on our right foot/leg using the stock pegs. Does this system help this out at all? is there anything to help this heat?

I have highway pegs, but havent used them yet so not as concenred about them yet.

john

SPYDERPOPS
06-01-2011, 11:26 PM
Both myself and my passenger seem to be getting high heat on our right foot/leg using the stock pegs. Does this system help this out at all? is there anything to help this heat?

I have highway pegs, but havent used them yet so not as concenred about them yet.

john

Yes, the catalytic converter shields will help this problem for sure. I first made a set for a friend that was experiencing that same problem and found that the converter hung down below the casting on both sides over an inch. By blocking the high heat coming from the converter he and his bride ride very comfortable now.

Check them out at www.spyderpops.com (http://www.spyderpops.com)

spyder3
06-02-2011, 08:39 AM
Hi, thanks. your link for the installation isnt working, what does it take for a mechanically challenged person to install.:dontknow:

CyncySpyder
06-02-2011, 09:26 AM
Harvey, we were the last in line at SpYderFest to get the Air Management System & WOW!!! :firstplace::bowdown::firstplace: Teddy & I both Thank You :2thumbs:

The heat shield is glossy black, but when in place, you just really don't notice it & you don't see an unfinished looking gaping hole on your RT Roadster either. That along with the catalitic guards make all the difference in the world.

Just yesterday, we got stuck on the Insterstate that had just been closed do to construction & an accident & we had to just sit there for over 20 minutes in the blazing sun, temp gauge on TEDDYS :spyder2:Was reading 102. I was afraid that with having this new system, and the :spyder2: not moving, it would overheat, but no dice:clap: the temp gauge didn't go above 5 bars :2thumbs:

And I can now comfortably use the new fin guards and love them. I actually rode to the store the other day in shorts, & yeah, I can still tell there is a heat source there, but NOTHING like it was before. And with pants & boots, it's a game changer for sure :2thumbs: Good Work. Thank You.
:clap::firstplace::bowdown:

SPYDERPOPS
06-02-2011, 09:40 AM
Sorry about the link! Yes they are very easy to install even for the challenged.

If you want to see the instructions before we get the link fixed PM me your email address.
Harvey

Hi, thanks. your link for the installation isnt working, what does it take for a mechanically challenged person to install.:dontknow:

IWN2RYD
06-02-2011, 10:10 AM

john

Yes this will help that. Just an FYI... in regards to heat in the factory peg position... Most feel this heat on most any bikes. Some of us get used to it and forget all about it. Some of us wear thicker boots than others and never feel it.

For a personal example... I got so comfy with the stability of the Spyder that a few "Grocery" runs I wore tennis shoes and went Yipes! What is all this heat! Took me two times for my brain to go.. Um... Silly... No boots...:roflblack::2thumbs:

Bottom line, this is normal. And this item will reduce this heat to your feet.

spyder3
06-02-2011, 02:29 PM
Thanks guy, my email is john7777@ol.com

I'll place an order shortly....

john

ArkTerry
06-02-2011, 03:18 PM
After 90 mile ride today in mid 90s on my RT, I just ordered both heat mods! Hope you have some good directions posted up soon or included in box with them. LOL

MarkLawson
06-02-2011, 06:38 PM
I'm looking into it, can you pm me a picture of the HWY peg so I can see where if is located?

Harvey,

Here you go:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1359&pictureid=15181

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1359&pictureid=15180

Thanks!

SPYDERPOPS
06-13-2011, 09:46 AM
CAUTION! When you install the "La Bloc" it is absolutely mandatory that you remove the belly pan under the RT. This pan is located to the rear of the radiator and under the RT on the right side.

It has 2- 10mm bolts attaching it to the frame and 1- bolt and nut 10mm under the outer edge.

Harvey

Yol Bolsun
01-02-2012, 10:36 AM
CAUTION! When you install the "La Bloc" it is absolutely mandatory that you remove the belly pan under the RT. This pan is located to the rear of the radiator and under the RT on the right side.

It has 2- 10mm bolts attaching it to the frame and 1- bolt and nut 10mm under the outer edge.

Harvey

Not trying to be contrary but can someone help me understand the mandatory requirement to remove the right side belly pan? Looking at the different heat management systems, I would think that the remaining lower port on the right side of my RT should be sufficient heat exhaust especially if the fan is active. Just my HO.

NancysToy
01-02-2012, 12:16 PM
Not trying to be contrary but can someone help me understand the mandatory requirement to remove the right side belly pan? Looking at the different heat management systems, I would think that the remaining lower port on the right side of my RT should be sufficient heat exhaust especially if the fan is active. Just my HO.
If you don't remove the right bellypan, you reduce the air exit area by about 60%...and you wil move much less airr than before. The free exit are is a carefully engineered parameter, and any severe modifications to it will impact the ability of the cooling system to do the job it was designed to do. Removing the belly pan compensates for the area you cover with the heat management kit.

Yol Bolsun
01-02-2012, 01:12 PM
If you don't remove the right bellypan, you reduce the air exit area by about 60%...and you wil move much less airr than before. The free exit are is a carefully engineered parameter, and any severe modifications to it will impact the ability of the cooling system to do the job it was designed to do. Removing the belly pan compensates for the area you cover with the heat management kit.

Okay, here we go. Me trying to discuss/understand Scotty on this one.

Givens: I will be mounting Lamont's NBV highway mounts in the near future and have SpyderPops LaBloc already on hand.

Alternatives to hot air exhaust (besides me closing my orifices - haha Bob, beat you to that one:roflblack:)
1. remove belly pan (installed as a sound suppressor) which is radically more exhaust capacity,
2. cut hole in belly pan equivalent to the 'La Blocked area
3. use another device which redirects hot air in different directions (through what appears to be a significantly smaller vent) relying on the fan to move the volume.
4. Allow fan to push air out the remaining exhaust port following installation of the LaBloc, or does the fan only function as a booster when the system deems necessary? If so, where does that leave us with item 3?

Has anyone opted not to remove the belly pan and had any negative results there of?

How can we here determine what was "carefully engineered" versus "gee, that looks nice" engineering? (which I believe most body lines/openings to be)

Perhaps, this whole discussion would be better at SpyderFest with appropriate beverages (alcoholic/non-alcoholic TBD) on hand.

NancysToy
01-02-2012, 03:27 PM
The fan only runs when the Spyder is quite hot. It is not running during normal operation. Without the fan, I would very much doubt you could move enough air, especially at lower speeds. That might just make the fan run more (which makes your foot hotter), or it might still allow insufficient air volume, resulting in overheating. A flowmeter and some recording equipment would tell you, but that is a lot of trouble and expense just to answer the question.

Even the "hole in the bellypan" option will reduce airflow. By moving the outlet farther away from the radiator, with a "dirtier" path, you increase friction losses as it is, and theoretically need to add more exit area than you closed. A 3"-4" hole in the bellypan is certainly not going to replace or exceed the upper outlet area you block...and it will negate any noise reduction the bellypan provided.

Why the reluctance to remove the bellypan? The amount of noise it reduces is insignifcant, affecting only the overall volume of the Spyder at idle, reducing it a few decibles to meet regulatory requirements. Once you start moving, you would never know it is gone. If you are worried about crud splashing up into the engine compartment, I wouldn't. Many of us have done tens of thousands of miles without one or both bellypans, and nobody has complained about the dirt accumulation yet. I get far more crud thrown up in there by the belt than I do from leaving the pan off, and even that isn't enough to dirty a shop towel between oil changes.