PDA

View Full Version : MO Gang any updates?

jedd
05-23-2011, 09:22 PM
Thoughts and prayers to the whole Joplin MO. community. Just really can't help but wonder how all the MO Gang members are doing? You are the most hospitable group I've ever met and hope for some updates.

Jim:dontknow:

SteveMac
05-23-2011, 09:29 PM
Bump, and I agree.

I am on the East side of the state. The damage in Joplin is just awful. I saw similar property damage here in 1986, but not loss of life like in Joplin. I heard today 89 people lost their lives. Terrible.

Hope all MO Gang are OK also, and I hope to join you for a rYde one of these days!

Thoughts and prayers to the whole Joplin MO. community. Just really can't help but wonder how all the MO Gang members are doing? You are the most hospitable group I've ever met and hope for some updates.

Jim:dontknow:

jedd
05-23-2011, 09:37 PM
Iowa City got slammed 4 yrs ago but no loss of life, these Tornadoes taking this many lives so early in the season is un-speakable and heart-wrenching.

So many of us were able to enjoy the beautiful landscape of MO. its hard to comprehend the destruction.

Jim

SpyderAnn01
05-23-2011, 09:43 PM
It really is awful and I pray that all of our Spyder friends are okay.

SpyderWolf
05-23-2011, 09:47 PM
I am with you all on this one and hoping, and praying, that all of our Spyder Lovers brothers and sisters made it through these storms okay. :pray:

It has been a really rough year weather wise already, and we are not even at the half way point yet.

Mo Lee
05-24-2011, 03:57 AM
I'm pretty sure everyone in the Mo Gang is fine. I think the group of us here by the Fort are the closest at 140 miles away. There is some Spyderlover down around Branson, Nixa and Springfield and they should be ok as well. Sure has been a strange year weather wise. Come to think of it Gary the Badger is probably closer than the Mo Gang to Joplin, so how about it Gary how is things down your way.

SpyderWolf
05-24-2011, 05:27 AM
Thanks for the update, glad to hear they should be okay. Hoping everyone else like Gary is as well.

Florida girl
05-24-2011, 05:32 AM
Thoughts and prayers out there to all affected by the terrible storms. :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray:

NancysToy
05-24-2011, 07:28 AM
It is amazing, the number of fatalities in storms this year. With all the modern warning methods and the sophisticated weather analysis that we have nowadays, it is not something that I ever though I would see again, where hundreds of people were killed by tornados. My heart goes out to all affected in MO, AL, TN, AR, KS, and elsewhere. This reminds me of when I was a child...and it is not a fond memory. Our prayers go out for all the people who are struggling to cope.

retiredsquid
05-24-2011, 08:31 AM
I live about an hour or so from Joplin and just got word from an old Navy buddy that he and his wife are fine -- I was very worried about them.

The sun is finally out, but that is due to change very soon and go back into severe weather mode until late tomorrow or early Thursday morning. I live between Rogers and Eureka Springs near Beaver Dam and the lake. I measured 4.5" of rain between 2000-2400 Sunday evening with 2.2" of that between 2000-2045 (8PM and 8:45PM for you non military folk :D) and then we got another 3.4" yesterday, so the ground is saturated from the past few weeks (I think we are at or over thirty inches in the past 30 days.)

Last count I heard was 116 dead and 400 injured in Joplin. There were two other local tornadoes Sunday night, too. West Siloam Springs and Gentry, Arkansas.

Roughly 12,000 folks do not have electricity in the River Valley (Ft. Smith area) from last nights storms.

I had a landslide on my property that took out close to five acres of mountain side that will take some serious big equipment to repair once things settle down and dry a bit. Plus, have to have a pond bank rebuilt and a better spillway put in.

I certainly feel for the folks in Louisianna that are going to continue to receive the flood waters from the White River basin here in the Ozarks, because all of the lakes are overflowing and have flood gates wide open.

Since January first over 500 folks have died in tornadoes and there have been over 1,150.

pitbull
05-24-2011, 09:31 AM
Thanks for checking on us Jim, Yes it was pretty bad I have a few friends and customers in Jopin and it has been pretty hard on them all. no loss of life thank God but propery damge was bad and the moral of the town is down pretty bad, very sad deal.

Marker
05-24-2011, 10:34 AM
I saw the Joplin Mo on the news ,looks very bad. I was hoping that the MO gang would be OK. I am saddened for the loss of life.

GloryRyders
05-24-2011, 11:21 AM
As Mo Lee says, most of us are not to close to Joplin but we got some of the earlier tornados early this month and last................as of this morning, the death toll was at 117 but they were still going house to house checking. Depending on who you listen to at least 1/3 of the city has been destroyed:gaah:. Say a prayer for those involved!:pray:

jedd
05-24-2011, 12:36 PM
It is amazing, the number of fatalities in storms this year. With all the modern warning methods and the sophisticated weather analysis that we have nowadays, it is not something that I ever though I would see again, where hundreds of people were killed by tornados. My heart goes out to all affected in MO, AL, TN, AR, KS, and elsewhere. This reminds me of when I was a child...and it is not a fond memory. Our prayers go out for all the people who are struggling to cope.

I agree Scotty, on Saturday here in IA they had the Tornado sirens blowing all afternoon, after the storm passed there was just 1 small tornado 70 west of here. Used to be the only time we were alarmed was when 1 was spotted by a certified spotter, now they are sounding the alarms on radar indicated rotation. Which this time of year is a weekly event, soon people are looking to see if it the threat is real rather than seeking safety. I think our tech. is great but there is also a case of boy who cried wolf going on--in Iowa at least. With the computers I think we may have less actual spotters on the ground. I don't know if this is the cause but there has been far too many lives lost this year.

Jim:thumbup:

Very happy to hear MO Gang is all well Thanks for checking in:pray:

fispyder
05-24-2011, 12:52 PM
Thoughts and prayers out there to all affected by the terrible storms. :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray:
Pray for a speedy recovery for all that been effected:pray::pray:

retiredsquid
05-24-2011, 02:03 PM
Just got this note in from a meeting with the Springdale Fire Department folks. Springdale is about an hour south of Joplin and Joplin is also in the bullseye for tonights storms.

Mayor Sprouse and others,

All SFD Chief Officers sat in on a weather webinar at 0830 this morning at Fire Administration. I wanted to pass along the information we were given and recommend that all city departments be made aware of the potential for today’s storms.

Steve with NOAA stated that NE Oklahoma and NW Arkansas are very likely to see, “long lived, violent tornadoes this evening.”

He encouraged all agencies to prepare for the highest state of readiness as these storms build. The time frame he is predicting for the Springdale area to see storms is roughly from 8pm to 3am, but could be sooner if conditions change. His predictions are that multiple super cells will form and produce violent tornadoes with hail potentially the size of a baseball to softball, followed by a large squall line with intense thunderstorms, lighting, and heavy rainfall.

He stated the National Weather Service is predicting that today will produce the worst storms to date for our general area for this year. They will update the website about noon today, but will most likely not have the time to do any further updating after that. They will not be hosting another webinar today.

The SFD will be adding additional on-duty personnel and place additional resources in service later today if the conditions continue to look like Springdale may be impacted. You might encourage all city departments to make plans in preparation of the coming storms and be thinking about what other measures\actions may be warranted.

Thanks,
Kevin McDonald
Assistant Chief
Springdale Fire Department
479-200-5135

xpeschon
05-24-2011, 03:20 PM
I can't think of his screen name but the older guy at spydervest that come with the Red White and Blue spyder along with his Brother who had the matching red white and blue dume buggy are from Joblin, I believe they are the closes in the MoGang area.. Have not heard from him lately, his name was something like shovelhead (then I number after that),, His wife was also there.. Anyway hope he and his family are doing alright..

X-Joe

NancysToy
05-24-2011, 04:11 PM
I agree Scotty, on Saturday here in IA they had the Tornado sirens blowing all afternoon, after the storm passed there was just 1 small tornado 70 west of here. Used to be the only time we were alarmed was when 1 was spotted by a certified spotter, now they are sounding the alarms on radar indicated rotation. Which this time of year is a weekly event, soon people are looking to see if it the threat is real rather than seeking safety. I think our tech. is great but there is also a case of boy who cried wolf going on--in Iowa at least. With the computers I think we may have less actual spotters on the ground. I don't know if this is the cause but there has been far too many lives lost this year.

Jim:thumbup:

Very happy to hear MO Gang is all well Thanks for checking in:pray:
There is a lot of truth in what you say. I am a trained Skywarn spotter, and I have worried about people paying less attention since they have allowed local officials to trigger the sirens without a NWS warning being issued. On the other hand, there is quicker response without the middleman. I hope everyone heeds the warnings, and doesn't choose to ignore them. One hundred false trips to the storm shelter are not going to seem so bad if just one life is saved because of a timely warning.

SpyderWolf
05-24-2011, 09:16 PM
Still keeping everyone in my prayers as it seems like it was Oklahomas turn today. :pray: