PDA

View Full Version : Disappointed...suggestions?

TCTexas
05-23-2011, 07:59 AM
Let me start by saying I love my Spyder and enjoy riding it. This last weekend I completed an Iron Butt challenge. While the ride was easy...except for now understanding how true the name is...I have a complaint.

Compared to other motorcycles, the fuel mileage stinks! I am only getting about 30-31 mpg. That means about every 100-110 miles I am searching for a gas pump. Everyone I know with "conventional" motorcycles get at least 40 and most get 50. When that is combined with the larger fuel tanks they have it makes if virtually impossible to ride with a group as they are not interested in stopping that often.

Does the mpg get better after a while? Are there things I can do to improve it (other than tire pressure and weight)?

Thanks,

BikerDoc
05-23-2011, 08:23 AM
30 to 31 is actually quite good.. It won't get better with time.. The Spyder is a Roadster - it offers comfort and stability - riding 700 or 800 miles a day is very doable without hurting the way you would on most bikes. The weight and large profile aren't designed for mileage :welcome:

YOUBET
05-23-2011, 08:33 AM
Let me start by saying I love my Spyder and enjoy riding it. This last weekend I completed an Iron Butt challenge. While the ride was easy...except for now understanding how true the name is...I have a complaint.

Compared to other motorcycles, the fuel mileage stinks! I am only getting about 30-31 mpg. That means about every 100-110 miles I am searching for a gas pump. Everyone I know with "conventional" motorcycles get at least 40 and most get 50. When that is combined with the larger fuel tanks they have it makes if virtually impossible to ride with a group as they are not interested in stopping that often.

Does the mpg get better after a while? Are there things I can do to improve it (other than tire pressure and weight)?

Thanks,

The simple answer is... NO! I've never gotten more than 35 MPH cruising usually around 70 MPH on the open road.

When I was younger I had a 1973 Honda 750K. It got 50+ MPG. I even put an extended range tank on it. I would ride from the DC area to Daytona Beech for "Speedweek" stopping only for fuel and to go potty.

Now, if I ride more than two hours at a time I can hardly walk when I get off the Spyder (or any bike for that matter). About 5-6 hours is the max for me in one day!

I love the Spyder. I plan my trips ahead. I usually start my rides with a stop or meeting place with other folks at a gas station. I ride about 85% in the boonies. The "I" slabs do nothing for me anymore because I don't go far from home unless I trailer. Actually, I kinda appreciate the stops. Yeah, I like riding, but now I also like to stop and smell the roses.

A year ago E-Bay and Craig's List were full of Spyders with very few miles. I don't see quite as many now; however, my theory is that the machine did not turn out to be what the buyer anticipated. It is not a two wheel motorcycle and rides nothing like it. Yes, it is out in the air and open spaces, but riding technique is completely different.

I never thought of gas mileage being a problem, but that too, could be a reason some people were disappointed. I think Can-Am wanted to have something different and the Spyder certainly fills that gap. There are some drawbacks; however, the following seems to be increasing and the owners more and more are realizing they are riding something different.

Obviously they are not for everyone. I hope you will become more enamored with your Spyder and enjoy it for what it is and tolerate what it isn't...

Cheers,

bullant12
05-23-2011, 08:40 AM
30 to 31 is actually quite good.. It won't get better with time.. The Spyder is a Roadster - it offers comfort and stability - riding 700 or 800 miles a day is very doable without hurting the way you would on most bikes. The weight and large profile aren't designed for mileage :welcome:
:agree: Although BRP and the dealers won't tell you, but there is the reason why they don't boast the :spyder2: as a fuel efficent vehicle... at least compared to a motorcycle. It still does better than a SUV...:roflblack:

arvoaussie
05-23-2011, 09:23 AM
I look at it this way..it is better than my truck at 19 mpg.....so 30 is like WOOT....stopping every couple of hours strikes me as safer....comfort is important...wife will feel more secure on the spyder than 2 wheels....It all comes back to what you want or feel you need. I may get another bike down the road for fuel reasons but right now spyder just makes more sense to me.

Dudley
05-23-2011, 09:59 AM

Thanks,

30-31 mpg is very good. As I have heard, even a motorcycle, when you install a trike kit will loose about 10 mpg. Not much to tell you about the people you ride with. Seems like if they can't be considerate and stop for you when you need gas, that puts you in a pickle. But, look around you. I am sure there are several Spyder riders that would gladly ride with you.

sandrunr1
05-23-2011, 11:09 AM
It does not matter how you ryde. If you are looking for gas at 110 miles, you still have over 2 gallons in the tank. I continuously go over 150 miles before fillups. Most bikes have under 5 gallon tanks, so they mostly get about 180 to 200 miles. That is over 3 hours ryding time. Most bike ryders will stop in about 2 hours. If not, their butts are tougher than mine. I like to stop and drink something or just hug my wife. I find I will ryde further then most bikes if it is only for gas. I have gone 185 miles and still had a half a gallon in the tank. Scary but I made it to the gas station. You will do 150+ miles. You carry over 6 gallons and even at 30 miles per gallon, that is 180 miles. Have fun....

Texmac1011
05-23-2011, 12:37 PM

Thanks,

With about 25k miles on mine now, I hang right around 26-28 mpg. So, no yours won't get better. You are doing pretty well right now. Even so, as has been said, you should get 150 miles out of a tank without any difficulty. I ride with a lot of folks and we ride pretty hard. Never have we gone more than 150 miles without stopping. You have a 6 gal tank and the people you ride with have larger tanks? That's pretty rare, I think.

I get about 48 on my bike with a 4 gal tank and my wife gets 26-28 with a 6 gal tank. We are both ready for a break after a couple of hours.

Anyhow, if it's 40-50 mpg you are looking for, then the Spyder was not the best choice. 2 wheels do better.

ARtraveler
05-23-2011, 01:40 PM
I will gladly take your 30-31, I am now getting a consistent 29. I have 15,000 miles on my RTS. Last year I was getting 30-31. I have been keeping the tach in the sweet spot---4500----and I believe that is affecting my mileage.

When I want 40 mpg, I end up riding my Vulcan.

I think it is a combination of smaller engine/big heavy bike that keeps the mileage in the low end. Most of us bought the :spyder2: for what it is--and did not look at fuel economy as one of the selling points. However, at today's prices for gas--it is becoming a consideration for some.

TCTexas
05-23-2011, 03:45 PM
With about 25k miles on mine now, I hang right around 26-28 mpg. So, no yours won't get better. You are doing pretty well right now. Even so, as has been said, you should get 150 miles out of a tank without any difficulty. I ride with a lot of folks and we ride pretty hard. Never have we gone more than 150 miles without stopping. You have a 6 gal tank and the people you ride with have larger tanks? That's pretty rare, I think.

I get about 48 on my bike with a 4 gal tank and my wife gets 26-28 with a 6 gal tank. We are both ready for a break after a couple of hours.

Anyhow, if it's 40-50 mpg you are looking for, then the Spyder was not the best choice. 2 wheels do better.

OK...I admit I did not read the owners manual cover to cover that carefully. However, when I am riding and the low fuel light comes on I am frantically looking for gas. That is especially true on the highway in an area am not familiar with...certainly don't want to push that sucker. I have never put 4.5 gallons in it. Guess I should rely more on the odometer and not the fuel gauge. :sour:

Don't get me wrong, I love my Spyder. I was just hoping for better mileage. And yes, it is better than what I get in my Hummer.

dave711
06-04-2011, 12:31 PM
when my fuel light comes on I figure I have about 30 miles left... I've gone as far as 170 on a tank and never put in more than 5.2 gallons. Seems like I get better millage with the misses on the back for some reason...:spyder2:

Lamonster
06-04-2011, 12:54 PM
OK...I admit I did not read the owners manual cover to cover that carefully. However, when I am riding and the low fuel light comes on I am frantically looking for gas. That is especially true on the highway in an area am not familiar with...certainly don't want to push that sucker. I have never put 4.5 gallons in it. Guess I should rely more on the odometer and not the fuel gauge. :sour:

Don't get me wrong, I love my Spyder. I was just hoping for better mileage. And yes, it is better than what I get in my Hummer.
You have about 1.4 gal useable when the fuel light comes on.
I do agree the RT needs longer legs to be a true touring machine but it's in par with other trikes.

Blue Star
06-04-2011, 05:29 PM
You have about 1.4 gal useable when the fuel light comes on.
I do agree the RT needs longer legs to be a true touring machine but it's in par with other trikes.

My Spyder mechanic told me that when the fuel light goes off you have a half gallon left in the tank. I have never gone that far, as I too get gas when the light comes on.

Lamonster
06-04-2011, 05:31 PM
My Spyder mechanic told me that when the fuel light goes off you have a half gallon left in the tank. I have never gone that far, as I too get gas when the light comes on.
I just checked my notes and it was 1.5 not 1.4
This is from someone at BRP that would know.

bruiser
06-04-2011, 06:28 PM
Did a ride yesterday, got 144 miles on a tank. Fuel light came on on the return leg. I did another 5 miles to the station. Put in 4.91 gals. to fill it. Worked out to just at 30 mpg. from outbound fill up. On the outbound leg 95% was 2 lane backroads with small towns averaging 48 mph, shield down. On the return 95% was interstate averaging 67 mph with the shield up. Best mileage I've ever gotten. By the way, this is two up.

Mr. White
06-04-2011, 06:49 PM
I ride about the same speeds and roads with my group or alone. I get 29-30 and figure 150 and then look for fuel...earlier, if in the boon docks. My low fuel light has never come on! I ride with a group of retired guys and we stop every 1.0 hours or so for a PR break.

I can see where you may need more mpg if on an Iron Butt ride, etc, but you won't do that many times. As you get older, things in your life will change...and you will get older...ha ha :clap:

I also have a Gold Wing Motor Trike. I rode it four years before triking it and got 38-40 mpg, after triking, I get 31-33.

p.s. I don't ride my GW as much since I got Big Red 1.

p.p.s. I used to be concerned about my low gas mileage. I went to a psychiatrist. I still get the lower mileage, but now it does not bother me. :D

SpyderWolf
06-04-2011, 08:20 PM
p.p.s. I used to be concerned about my low gas mileage. I went to a psychiatrist. I still get bad mileage, but it does not bother me. :D

:2thumbs: I like that a lot!

JJW SpyderRider
06-05-2011, 02:02 PM
My dealer told a customer that the RT would get about 40 MPG after break-in, I almost started to :roflblack:.

AndyIsRiding
06-05-2011, 04:16 PM
We did a couple of highway trips 65mph+ and it was 26mpg.

We a bunch of back roads, easy 45-55mph and doing around 34mpg.

We did not buy the RT to race down the highway, we bought it to tour the country side, my wife enjoys the scenery, and my hobby is photography so when we see something nice we stop, and watch.

we only have 2900km on the RT so its technically not fully broken in, so it will improve, but for pure driving around and seeing the country, can't get much better.
:2thumbs:

CJ/johnnyg
06-05-2011, 04:52 PM
We just checked Our RT SE5 this is an 2010 it was getting 34mpg. I have a new RS Se5 with no windsheild yet and it just got over 30mpg, but it doesn't have 600 mile on it yet. They say that will increase after I break it in. We always take a break about 90 to 100 and take a break. That works best for us. We didn't buy the :spyder2:s for the fuel mileage thow. We bought them for the fun and Comfort. You can't beat a spyder for safety, rain or shine. Thats my .02 worth CJ