PDA

View Full Version : My expected purchase

Toxziq
05-22-2011, 11:06 PM
Hello all,

I'm new to the community and thought I'd introduce myself and give an overview of the Spyder I'm planning on buying locally here very soon to get any input or feedback from the community.

I've been looking at these for a long time and I think this is the best purchase for me. I've ridden dirt bikes and cruisers before, and learned on a Kawasaki 125, but I never got my motorcycle license until just recently. I've also ridden very sparingly with a lot of downtime in between, so I feel as though I haven't really developed a ton of riding skills that I'd need to change for ryding on a spyder.

So, after test driving a RT SM5 at my local dealership, and falling absolutely in love with it, I've decided to start crunching the numbers this week with the money and working towards a purchase this coming Saturday.

Plan is to get these from the dealer:

2011 Can Am RS
Pearl White
SE5 Transmission

Options:

6 Spoke Custom Wheel Kit
Caliper Trim Kit
Side Panel Trim Kit
Adjustable Backrest and Sports rack
Thicker driver Footpegs (same as the RT ones)

Then the plan is to get the matching Corbin Fleetliner Saddlebags post purchase.

I like the idea of the side Panel Trim Kit as when I was riding the RT, the extended seat seemed to allow my knees (while riding in shorts) to stay touching the seat in hard turns, which, the Trim Kit seems to do for the RS as well. The 6 Spoke wheels look awesome on the Pearl White I think. And, the backrest is for if my kids or wife jump on for a ride as well. The saddlebags and the caliper trim is just personal preference :-)

Total comes out to $19,335 from the dealer with the additional for the Corbin bags.

I've looked around and all the local, and even the non local dealers, all seem to have the same pricing on these, doesn't seem like there is much negotiation.

So, thoughts, suggestions, witty remarks?

Hope to be joining you all on the road with my spyder soon!

-Tox

Dragonrider
05-22-2011, 11:24 PM
You have been testing the RT, not the RS. They are very different beasts, and the RS will never a RT be...

You should consider a base RT, which you should be able to get for the same price, and you'll have the bags to boot

SteveMac
05-22-2011, 11:27 PM
:agree: If you did fall in love with the RT, then look at buying a 2010 holdover. You can get a brand new RT Audio Convenience even for under 20K. I did. I like the RS also, but I got the RT for the comfort for me and wifey. Either way you go is a win, but you can definitely pick up an RT for under 20K. :spyder:

Oh yeah :welcome: !!!!!

You have been testing the RT, not the RS. They are very different beasts, and the RS will never a RT be...

You should consider a base RT, which you should be able to get for the same price, and you'll have the bags to boot

Toxziq
05-22-2011, 11:28 PM
Understand they are different, however I'm not into the higher look and feel of the RT. You mention they are different beasts, as in drives drastically differently?

I definitely like the more streamlined look of the RS, however I can't find any dealers in my area that offer a RS for a demo. (Central Texas)

SteveMac
05-22-2011, 11:33 PM
Understand they are different, however I'm not into the higher look and feel of the RT......

Well, in that case then the RS, but the rYding position is very different. I am sure you already know that, but it is worth mentioning.

Again, whether RS or RT, you are going to be very a very happy :spyder2: owner. :congrats:

Toxziq
05-22-2011, 11:48 PM
Yes, just sitting, not even ryding, I could tell the difference. I'm not planning on long trips though, more commuter length trips, with the occasional longer weekend day trip maybe.

I've heard great things about the SE5 transmission, and read a lot online. Plus I'm not a fan of silver so if it's RS and not RS-S, white and SE5 it seems to be. Which is ok, I like the white. :-)

Unfortunately, most centers in my area are still selling 2009s at full retail, and same with 2010s. And, while I normally buy all my vehicles used, I'm a bit wary of this much of a purchase for a ryde (I just can't call it a motorcycle) used.

Dragonrider
05-23-2011, 08:37 AM
I had a RS for over a year, and loved the look, and added zip. However, I loth the forward leaning position of a sport bike, and could not rid the RS of it. Spent thousands trying...

Now I am a happy RT owner....

Your size will make a difference, I am a BIG guy. I've found those under 6' tend to be able to enjoy the RS more.

SpyderAnn01
05-23-2011, 08:49 AM
You really need to test drive the RS before you make the purchase. As others have said you can spend thousands trying to make the RS into an RT but it will never be quite the same.

Have you sat on the RS? Go sit on one for a while then sit on the RT. I've had both and for me (I've got long legs) the RT was the right choice.

I purchased mine used from a private party it had 1500 miles on it. I've been very happy with mine.

Marker
05-23-2011, 09:49 AM
For me the sport bike riding position on the RS is not comfortable for me as I have neck problems. IMHO you will never be able to make an RS feel like an Rt so before you buy you need to know this and accept the RS for what it is . I wanted an RS before I tested the RT and sat on the RS for a long time as the dealer did not have an Rs for a test ride and after a while the RS was not comfortable and my wife did not like the passenger seat. So we bought the Rt as it was comfortable for both of us. I also looked at the aftermarket acc to make the Rs more comfortable and it would take a lot of money to do this so another reason we bought the RT.

Bob Denman
05-23-2011, 10:35 AM
I'll let everbody else tell you that your World will end if you buy the wrong model... :shocked: Welcome to the party and let the farkling begin! :2thumbs:
It's your choice and your money; and hoarding cash is a poor substitute for fun! :shemademe_smilie::ohyea:

tatt2r
05-23-2011, 10:46 AM

:agree: 2 totally different machines ...

ARtraveler
05-23-2011, 10:57 AM
:welcome: I will chime in here with my .02 also. Eveyone above is right on with their comments. I had a GS (first year model) and dressed it up with every touring thing that I could think of. Had over $24K into it. Put 22,000 miles on it. It looked very touring--but I had the Givi bags and not the Corbins. I really do love the Fleetliners and the look that they give the spyder. Believe it or not--it was the cost that kept me from the fleetliners. When the RTS came out in 2010 I had to trade my 2008 for one. The ride is so different that I do not regret taking about a $10K loss to trade up. (the farkles did not hold their value--a common thing that happens). I do not regret my purchasing an RT model. Touring and comfort is my thing--so the RT was right for me.

My advice is to test ride both models to see which one you like best. They feel and perform differently. It would be bad to by one model and farkle it up to get the perfect look, and then end up wishing you had the other one. For looks, that pearl white with fleetliners, will be to die for.

BMW
05-23-2011, 12:45 PM
:welcome: I will chime in here with my .02 also. Eveyone above is right on with their comments. I had a GS (first year model) and dressed it up with every touring thing that I could think of. Had over $24K into it. Put 22,000 miles on it. It looked very touring--but I had the Givi bags and not the Corbins. I really do love the Fleetliners and the look that they give the spyder. Believe it or not--it was the cost that kept me from the fleetliners. When the RTS came out in 2010 I had to trade my 2008 for one. The ride is so different that I do not regret taking about a $10K loss to trade up. (the farkles did not hold their value--a common thing that happens). I do not regret my purchasing an RT model. Touring and comfort is my thing--so the RT was right for me.

My advice is to test ride both models to see which one you like best. They feel and perform differently. It would be bad to by one model and farkle it up to get the perfect look, and then end up wishing you had the other one. For looks, that pearl white with fleetliners, will be to die for.
:agree:trying to convince myself to trade up to RTS.

dltang
05-23-2011, 05:45 PM
I guess I am in the minority. I have the GS and have toured extensively on it and love it. I don't want to switch over to an RT. I did add handlebar risers and a Russell Day Long seat and highway footrests. I have a very nice comfortable position for both everyday riding and touring. Enjoy whatever you get.

SpyderWolf
05-23-2011, 09:01 PM
:welcome:

I love my RS and wouldn't trade it for an RT any day. Nothing against all the RT owners, it just isn't the right fit for me right now. :thumbup:

Toxziq
05-24-2011, 07:21 PM
Great information from everyone, thanks! I did get a chance to ryde the RS yesterday and I loved it. Lots more zip with the less weight, and I'm not sure, but it felt tighter in turns, is that me and some illusion?

There is a considerable amount of difference though, you are all right. I do not see myself and my wife taking long trips on it, at least nothing longer than an hour or 2 away. Maybe we'll get adventurous, but not in the plans.

Plan right now is recreation device, maybe the Friday ryde to work, and weekend fun.

And yes, the Pearl White with the Fleetliners should look awesome. I also am sold 100% on the GloRyders, just trying to decide which color to go with :-) the GloRyders "almost" make me want to keep the 3 spoke stock wheels on there and not upgrade to the 6 spoke... "almost".

I'm working with the bank this week and the dealership so hopefully very soon I can send everyone a pic.

Thanks for all the input and thanks for being so supportive, the community here seems tremendously helpful!

Raptor
05-24-2011, 09:11 PM
It all depends on what you are looking for. The RT is so comfortable it's like riding your couch! It has tons of amenities and features that make it ideal for touring. It is much bigger and heavier than the RS, doesn't handle as well as the RS and so on, but that is to be expected. The machines are designed to carry out different missions.

I tend to like the "sport" nature and look of the RS. The seating position is vastly different than the RT, but many prefer this stance, including me. The RT just isn't my style, at least at this point in time. Many others that do tour would not ride anything else but the RT.

I say ride them both. A couple of times if you can. It's a big decision, so you have to make sure you are getting the machine that is right for you. Best of luck to you!

1stfan
05-25-2011, 12:29 PM
I had the '09 RSE5 w/9K miles when the RT came out. Dealer called me and I thought "I'll just try it but won't buy". WRONG!!! Traded on the spot and after 17K+ miles lov'n it more everyday. Crotch Rocket ride is not too hot. Went on 2800 mile 8 day trip with 4 Harleys and had a blast.:doorag:

Colin
05-25-2011, 03:19 PM
Yes, just sitting, not even ryding, I could tell the difference. I'm not planning on long trips though, more commuter length trips, with the occasional longer weekend day trip maybe.

I've heard great things about the SE5 transmission, and read a lot online. Plus I'm not a fan of silver so if it's RS and not RS-S, white and SE5 it seems to be. Which is ok, I like the white. :-)

Unfortunately, most centers in my area are still selling 2009s at full retail, and same with 2010s. And, while I normally buy all my vehicles used, I'm a bit wary of this much of a purchase for a ryde (I just can't call it a motorcycle) used.

If you are not planning on too many long rydes, the RS would be a good choice. I have an RS with the 1 inch riser block and did over 800 kms in 2 days and it was fine, and I am of fairly large build.
When I go for a ryde the saying is"I'm going out on the Fun Machine"

Marker
05-25-2011, 03:41 PM
Great information from everyone, thanks! I did get a chance to ryde the RS yesterday and I loved it. Lots more zip with the less weight, and I'm not sure, but it felt tighter in turns, is that me and some illusion?

There is a considerable amount of difference though, you are all right. I do not see myself and my wife taking long trips on it, at least nothing longer than an hour or 2 away. Maybe we'll get adventurous, but not in the plans.

Plan right now is recreation device, maybe the Friday ryde to work, and weekend fun.

And yes, the Pearl White with the Fleetliners should look awesome. I also am sold 100% on the GloRyders, just trying to decide which color to go with :-) the GloRyders "almost" make me want to keep the 3 spoke stock wheels on there and not upgrade to the 6 spoke... "almost".

I'm working with the bank this week and the dealership so hopefully very soon I can send everyone a pic.

Thanks for all the input and thanks for being so supportive, the community here seems tremendously helpful!

I am glad that you have a plan in place to use your Rs for recreation locally and that you were able to test ride an RS . Both the RT and the RS are a lot of fun to ride Ride safe and have fun:thumbup::2thumbs::yes::ohyea: