PDA

View Full Version : HELP! DIRT UNDER WINDSHIELD DRIVING ME CRAZY!

Florida girl
05-21-2011, 10:17 PM
My :spyder2: was shipped from Florida to Jersey on a flatbed and I just picked it up last night. Other than being a bit dirty it seemed to be just fine except for a very annoying problem I now have with the windshield. Somehow dirt got down in behind the metal arms attached to the actual windshield and I can not get it out. When you look at the windshield head on, you can see behind it that there is dirt trapped in between the metal arms and windshield. It looks terrible. I have tried every method possible to get it out. My husband and I spent over an hour today trying to clean it. We tried shooting a hard spray of water down in between it, tried loosening the screws of the windshield, among other things but the dirt still remains. Right now the whole windshield is off of the bike and I was going to soak it in a warm tub of water. We tried getting the windshield off of the metal arms but can't figure out how to get the chrome (fake plastic chrome :roflblack:) plates off of the front of the windshield. We see that the top of the chrome plate has a screw in it but the bottom? Can't figure out what is holding that. I should mention that I have the 2011 RT Limited. Has anyone ever had this problem? Does anyone know how to remove those plastic chrome pieces off of the windshield to take it apart? Right now I am so frustrated I would love any suggestion. :gaah: Thanks everyone!

Lunar Rover
05-21-2011, 10:33 PM
Sorry, no suggestions, don't have an RT (yet). I understand how you feel though, hopefully you'll eventually succeed. In the mean time, I would suggest riding it as much as you can until the rest of the machine's dirt level matches the area you're trying to clean. :2thumbs:

Oh by the way...

:welcome:

acinpcola
05-21-2011, 10:39 PM
Try some canned air to see if you can get it out. The same type they sell in the computer sections of department stores, it is low enough pressure so it should not cause the dirt to scratch the windshiled

Be Safe
AC:spyder2:

SpyderDen
05-21-2011, 10:47 PM
I have a 2011 also. I installed the chrome WS support and thought that was the cause of the problem.. I'm quite sure that it's not dirt, but scuff marks from the mount rubbing on the windshield. Metal vs plastic is not good. Have seen it on most Rt's that I have looked at. I am quite sure it is abrasion from poor design of the WS mount. I have tried all kinds of scratch remover etc, but to no avail.

eddieshep999
05-21-2011, 10:59 PM
On my RT -S 2010

I had the same problem and had to remove the windscreen to clean it
Some marks still show but not as bad
Once the screen has been removed you can see where the arms rub against the screen

Screen removal

I removed the screws and the chrome pieces slide down
- you then have to lift them off
There is a tab on the chrome pieces that slots into the screen and by sliding them in place
this locks them to the screen and the screw is used to secure the chrome pieces to the arms
Once the chrome pieces have been removed you can access the 4 bolts that hold the screen
to the arms

Hope this helps

Eddie Sheppard
Reading UK

SpyderGirl
05-22-2011, 12:15 AM
Sorry, no suggestions, don't have an RT (yet). I understand how you feel though, hopefully you'll eventually succeed. In the mean time, I would suggest riding it as much as you can until the rest of the machine's dirt level matches the area you're trying to clean. :2thumbs:

Oh by the way...

:welcome:

Good advice. Ride and enjoy! I don't let a little dirt slow me down. :)

GadgetGuy442
05-22-2011, 06:49 AM
Check out this link:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27453

Bill

GadgetGuy442
05-22-2011, 06:53 AM
One more thing.... Forget about my recommendation to apply thread locking compound to the screws. Scotty (NancysToy) has seen it do bad things to plastic windshields, and the existing locking compound on the screws is sufficient as it is.

Hope this was helpful....

Bill

dave01
05-22-2011, 07:03 AM
Remove the windshield, clean it completely and before reinstalling it, add 4 rubber washers from Lowes or home depot to space the shield off of the mount. They are a little rough to line up, but they will keep dirt/dust from filling the spaces and scratching the screens

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

Bob Denman
05-22-2011, 09:12 AM
I just added the chrome outer covers to mine and they had pretty specific instructions on protecting the windscreen while locking and sliding the covers in place...

SpyderDen
05-22-2011, 10:26 AM
I just added the chrome outer covers to mine and they had pretty specific instructions on protecting the windscreen while locking and sliding the covers in place...

Bob, the scratches come from use, not the installation. I'm sure the washer trick will help. Too late for those of us already scuffed however.
:gaah:

Florida girl
05-22-2011, 07:02 PM
Thanks so much everyone for all of your great suggestions! I did remove the windshield finally. Thank you Eddie Sheppard for your instructions on the removal. Worked perfectly! (Oh, just in case you have to do it again, the chrome pieces slide down to be removed.) Now that it is off I do see that DaBusses is correct. As well as dirt there are now scuff marks from the windshield rubbing on the aluminum windshield mount. The scuff marks appear on the windshield as well as the windshield mount. I am trying to enclose a photo to show the damage. dave01 thanks for the great suggestion of adding the extra 4 rubber washers. Will definitely do that. Meanwhile, my windshield still sits unassembled until my phone call to the dealer tomorrow to see if it will be replaced. The bike is brand new and I have only had it about 7 or 8 weeks so hopefully BRP will stand behind it! Thanks so much again everyone for all of your help! :2thumbs:

Florida girl
05-22-2011, 08:14 PM
Photos of damage to windshield and aluminum windshield mount.

boborgera
05-22-2011, 09:04 PM

:dontknow: Things happen.,The first scratch is the worst.

ThreeWheels
05-22-2011, 10:17 PM

I scanned this thread but didn't read all the posts, so this may be a duplicate of what others said.

That wasn't dirt stuck behind the windshield, that's the plastic wearing and grinding against the mount.

I had the same problem with mine. When you reassemble everything, add a washer to space the windshield away from the frame.

Depending on your dealer, BRP may consider that to be a warranty repair, and replace the windshield and the mount.

Good luck and keep us posted.

eddieshep999
05-23-2011, 11:18 AM
Ref

The Chrome pieces - They do in fact slide down for removal and up
for installation
I have amended my original post
(Sorry for the error -But I was at work and unable to remove the Windscreen at the time to confirm the direction for removal of the Chrome Pieces

Has anyone fitted the Windsheilds from Custom Dynamics and F4 Customs
e.g The Sport Clear/Wide Stock/Tall Windshields to their RT -S

Do they fit on the original mountings wiihtout any modifications and what effect if any does it have on the RT -S (Dependant on the type you have had fitted)

Thanks

Eddie Sheppard
Reading UK

Florida girl
05-23-2011, 08:24 PM
Ref

for installation
(Sorry for the error -But I was at work and unable to remove the Windscreen at the time to confirm the direction for removal of the Chrome Pieces

Do they fit on the original mountings wiihtout any modifications and what effect if any does it have on the RT -S (Dependant on the type you have had fitted)

Eddie Sheppard
Reading UK

Hello Eddie! Please don't feel sorry for not knowing the exact direction of removing the chrome. It was because of you that we were able to figure out how to finally take it apart! :clap: Once we read your post it came pretty easy so thank you very much for your help and suggestions! :2thumbs: :bowdown: That is why I love this place. Everyone is so very helpful. Thanks again!!!

Thanks

dave01
05-23-2011, 08:47 PM
Ref

for installation

Thanks

Eddie Sheppard
Reading UK

I have the short version from ESI and the mounting is exactly the same as the stock one was.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk