PDA

View Full Version : Towing speed

sealfloorboards
05-20-2011, 11:05 AM
Does anyone know what the max towing speed is on a BRP trailer, or for that matter, most motorcycle trailers. Just bought a Harbor Freight 12" wheel trailer and ther say 45 mph max. Are they all like this? Any help appreciated.

John

retiredsquid
05-20-2011, 11:07 AM
When I brought mine home from the dealership on Tuesday evening I pulled it on the interstate at 70+mph and did not feel like it was back there.

bullant12
05-20-2011, 12:33 PM
When I brought mine home from the dealership on Tuesday evening I pulled it on the interstate at 70+mph and did not feel like it was back there.

:agree: On our trip to :spyder2:fest, we loaded our trailer halfway and it never seem to give issues at 70+ MPH. Usually trailers will warn you if there is a speed limit but nowhere in the manual or the trailer does it warn you. Would be a good idea to email customer support unless somebody did and got an answer.:thumbup:

NancysToy
05-20-2011, 04:50 PM
The Harbor Freight trailers have that restriction due to the rating of the tires they use, and also due to the small diameter tires, which cause high wheel bearing speeds, and resulting heat. The taller tires on the RT-622 and many other cargo trailers cause no such restrictions. Many states do limit speed limits with trailers, however.

TicketBait
05-20-2011, 05:39 PM
I was told that BRP had tested it to 90 mph, however I have only been to 80 or a little faster to pass on interstate 10 in Texas. It pulls like a dream!:thumbup:

NancysToy
05-20-2011, 05:56 PM
The Rt-622 will do 90+.....don't ask how I know. :D

BikerDoc
05-20-2011, 05:57 PM
I followed a BRP trailer back from Spyderfest at speeds between 75 and 85 mph and the rider had no difficulty at all.. Actually in heavy winds the trailer seemed to stablize the Spyder compared to the ones without the trailer.

Bootie
05-20-2011, 06:14 PM
The Rt-622 will do 90+.....don't ask how I know. :D:agree::agree::agree::2thumbs:

retiredsquid
05-20-2011, 06:31 PM
Looks like we may be pulling ours to San Antonio end of next month. I'll let you know when we get back.

sealfloorboards
05-21-2011, 12:53 PM
The Harbor Freight trailers have that restriction due to the rating of the tires they use, and also due to the small diameter tires, which cause high wheel bearing speeds, and resulting heat. The taller tires on the RT-622 and many other cargo trailers cause no such restrictions. Many states do limit speed limits with trailers, however.

The Harbor Freight trailer has 12" wheels like the 622. Is it a matter of wheel or tire quality. If so I might be able to upgrade.

Lamonster
05-21-2011, 01:13 PM
My 109 nojoke

http://www.m109riders.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=19&pictureid=3014

sealfloorboards
05-21-2011, 01:18 PM
My 109 nojoke

http://www.m109riders.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=19&pictureid=3014

Fine for you hotrod but I'm afraid if I tried that I'd loose what little hair I have left! Just 70 or so would be great.

NancysToy
05-21-2011, 05:30 PM
The Harbor Freight trailer has 12" wheels like the 622. Is it a matter of wheel or tire quality. If so I might be able to upgrade.
That's odd, those restrictions are usually a result of 8" wheels. Look at the tire sidewalls to see if they show a restriction or a speed code. They could be the limiting factor. Pulling rabbits out of a hat, beyond that. It could be bearing quality (?), frame construction/materials (?), wheel truing/construction/materials (?), tube-type tires (?), alignment (?), or just overzealous engineers/lawyers trying to protect the company. If the tires are not properly rated, I'd replace them with some better tires. If they are tubeless, and properly rated, I'd do some test runs myself, and see how it handles, tracks, and how hot the bearings and tires get.

sealfloorboards
05-21-2011, 06:09 PM
That's odd, those restrictions are usually a result of 8" wheels. Look at the tire sidewalls to see if they show a restriction or a speed code. They could be the limiting factor. Pulling rabbits out of a hat, beyond that. It could be bearing quality (?), frame construction/materials (?), wheel truing/construction/materials (?), tube-type tires (?), alignment (?), or just overzealous engineers/lawyers trying to protect the company. If the tires are not properly rated, I'd replace them with some better tires. If they are tubeless, and properly rated, I'd do some test runs myself, and see how it handles, tracks, and how hot the bearings and tires get.

Thanks Scotty,

What I bought is a HAUL-MASTER 1090 lb. 40-1/2" x 48" Mini Utili9ty Trailer with 12" Four-Lug wheels and Tires. Item #90153.

John

ThreeFeet
05-21-2011, 06:14 PM
Does anyone know what the max towing speed is on a BRP trailer, or for that matter, most motorcycle trailers. Just bought a Harbor Freight 12" wheel trailer and ther say 45 mph max. Are they all like this? Any help appreciated.

John If it starts fishtailing back there it's going to fast and the load is wrong.:yikes: The trailer will probably let you know what's too fast.