PDA

View Full Version : Traded my '08 GS yesterday for a 2011 RS-S in Magnesium/Black..

Greg H.
05-18-2011, 05:01 PM
With nearly 33,000 miles, I really wasn't sure I could (or they could) make it work. :) On order is the backrest system, Givi Bags, 12 volt plug. I get to keep my Hindle, trunk liner, and they already mounted my Throttlemeister's. And, I am going to go ahead and have them add the 1" riser block, as well. I can tell the difference. I rode it off the lot yesterday afternoon with .6 miles. It's sweet.

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a1db39b3127ccefd70d74d280800000030O08AZtmbZq0aMw e3nw0/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/

For all you RS-S owners, and owners of the newer models out there, I have a couple of questions.
I noticed the underside of the air dam is rough in a couple of areas. I wasn't sure if this was normal on the new design since it's painted, unlike the regular black on my GS where it is perfectly smooth. I really don't see how it might have gotten scraped. So, I thought I would mention it here before telling the dealer.
Also; on the top edge of the back fender, there is an area of about an inch, that seems scraped, as well. Thinking about this, I was wondering if that is normal. Any feedback is appreciated. Yeah! you know how it is.... you don't think about or notice this stuff at the dealer - only when you get it home! Lol! And, then, I see everything! :)

I love this new color combination, as well!

freebob
05-18-2011, 06:45 PM
Sounds like possible shipping damage, I would check with dealer for sure..:dontknow:..
Freebob...:doorag:

Firefly
05-18-2011, 07:15 PM
:congrats:

Looks sharp!

SpyderAnn01
05-18-2011, 07:21 PM
:congrats: I like the color as well. I hadn't seen it on the RS before it looks fast.

StriperKing
05-18-2011, 07:24 PM
A guy here in town bought one just like that from our local dealer. That is one sweat ride! I love that color combo. Does the new one feel much better as far as suspension goes than your old one. This guy said the 2011 felt better than the older ones, maybe just because it was new or maybe they changed the shocks and springs a little.

:congrats:

jedd
05-18-2011, 10:07 PM
:congrats:Very cool

Big Arm
05-18-2011, 10:11 PM
Looks Sharp Greg :ohyea: :congrats:

spyder-dude
05-19-2011, 05:12 AM
:congrats: Looks sweet!

I pick up my new RS-S Orange/Black today...can't wait!

Notice any differences from your old one?

fleegeds
05-19-2011, 05:58 AM
I have the Copper-black RS-S and my lower spoiler was damaged too and the shop replaced it for me. It is now as beautiful as the rest of the spyder.
:congrats: it looks nice.

Some Guy
05-19-2011, 07:55 AM
:congrats: Nice! :2thumbs:

PeacefulBen
05-19-2011, 08:18 AM
:clap:Very Nice!
Maybe I'll get to see it running around Fayette County. A group of us usually gets together on Tuesday mornings, 9 a.m.,at the McDonalds in Oakland. :chat: (Also Thursdays at the Huddle House in Oakland)
We eat breakfast and then take off for a ride. No plans, just wing it as we go. Love to have you join us! :ohyea:

Lamonster
05-19-2011, 08:33 AM
Love that look :congrats:

Campverdefela
05-19-2011, 08:43 AM
Love that look :congrats:
:agree::congrats: As far as the scuffs go; if it looks like a duck and ......

fispyder
05-19-2011, 08:59 AM
:congrats: on the new ryde

SpyderWolf
05-20-2011, 05:41 PM
:congrats: on trading up to a newer Spyder. I would definitely talk to the dealer about the scrapes as they don't sound normal to me.

MMcc
05-20-2011, 05:56 PM
Just looked at a new copper RS today at the dealers. There is no scuffing on this one in the locations you noticed on yours. I would bring it to the dealers attention sooner than later.

SpyderDavidson
05-20-2011, 11:32 PM
:2thumbs: SWEET !!! :2thumbs:

Winterfell
05-23-2011, 08:00 AM
I just picked up my orange/black Spyder last friday - no scuffing on those places, so I'd take it up with the dealer.

StanTheMan
05-25-2011, 06:04 AM
Congratulations to all the new Spyder owners! I've seen the 2011 Spyder colours at my dealer and they look amazing! Very nice rides. Enjoy! :congrats:

Greg H.
05-30-2011, 09:04 AM
So far, about 530 miles logged on the RS-S. I sent an email to my dealer with my concerns. I purchased it on 5/17. And, I called 5/19 in the AM to let them know what I found. And, I took it to the dealer that afternoon so they could see what I was talking about. Below is my email/letter to them..

The new Spyder is great! We are enjoying it very much. As I mentioned last Thursday on the phone, there are a couple of issues that need resolution. And, I brought it by that afternoon for your salesman to see, and he took some photos.
The following pictures, I took, as well.

In the first one, you can see the scrape/gash on top of the rear fender edge. It either came from BRP this way, or happened pre-delivery. Replacement of the fender looks like the only acceptable solution.
http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=8AZtmbZq0aM1P_Y

In the following photos, the chips in the air dam can be seen. There are a couple of places. Again, not sure if it shipped this way, happened at the bike show, or possibly during the build. But, I know for a fact none of this occured during our possession. Again; I think BRP should replace this part, as well.

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=8AZtmbZq0aM1QAE

In the below photo, you can see the scrapes on the top panel where the left engine cover tab rubbed it from 'not' being tucked under the top panel, and properly installed before the fasteners were locked down. I discovered this while fueling up Tuesday night - the evening I took delivery. I immediately removed the engine cover, and properly installed the side cover. The paint is scored there from the vibration.

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=8AZtmbZq0aM1QBA

It's a bit of a disappointment to discover these things, for sure. But, I am confident BRP and you can make this right. I know Jean & I have been loyal customers to BRP, and your dealer. And, you all know we love our Spyders.
I know that over time, some wear does show even with the best care taken. But, nobody wants to see it immeditately after the purchase.

.... With that said, we are really enjoying the new RS-S.

BikerDoc
05-30-2011, 09:51 AM
:congrats: color combo is striking!!!!

SpyderWolf
05-30-2011, 01:44 PM
Sounds like a very good letter to the dealer. Let us know how things turn out.

Greg H.
05-30-2011, 06:22 PM
And, thanks everyone for the kind words.
My Wife and I are really enjoying the RS-S. I can tell you; she's a trooper! We rode 128 miles today w/o a backrest. That, and the bags will be here in the next few weeks.