PDA

View Full Version : RS - 245 lb guy

oldntired
05-11-2011, 10:41 PM
Customer has a 2008 Spyder RS. Weighs 245 and bottoms out on the rear during high rate riding. Needs a higher rate spring. He doesn't want to shell out for a high dollar rear shock , just needs a spring. I have searched and found nothing. Is there anything available?

Al Bragg
05-12-2011, 12:26 AM
Hello,

I am 270 lbs and I have never hit bottom on my 08 SM5. Could it be that the rear shock is bad?

IWN2RYD
05-12-2011, 12:47 AM
:agree:

If the spring adjustment is on #6 or greater... I am 225 before my gear, and my wife is 115... Is it possible he is hitting his Muffler (I was with my TB Dual pipes) if the shock is OK.. One other item. Folks here have mentioned that the factory shocks are expected to last 35k miles... I wonder what the mileage is with it being a 2008?:dontknow:

fastfraser
05-12-2011, 04:46 AM
I go about 210 and the wife about 150 as well we tow a trailer and never had a problem with the shock bottoming out. I would have to say you are going over some serious pot holes or your shock is not adjusted or is bad .

oldntired
05-13-2011, 12:34 AM
mileage is 43K. Are the RT springs a higher rate than the RS?

NancysToy
05-13-2011, 06:49 AM
It appears that they are, although there are no numbers to confirm that. Different part numbers, though. The 2010 RT shocks have much more damping, and the 2011 shocks have more yet.

IWN2RYD
05-13-2011, 09:55 AM

Well we know that the fronts certainly are, and many of us have taken the 2010 RT set and put them on the front of an RS, with a few also doing it with the 2011 RT set.

As far as the rear set... Now this I have not read. I assume the rear set on the RT is far stronger as the added dead weight is greater from the start. But for the life of me I do not remember anyone saying they have taken a rear RT rear set and placed it on an RS. :dontknow: I am not sure the mounting is the same to start with.

An Elka may be in his future, as the 43k miles sounds like a candidate for a new set... :spyder2::doorag::2thumbs:

NancysToy
05-13-2011, 10:13 AM
Well we know that the fronts certainly are, and many of us have taken the 2010 RT set and put them on the front of an RS, with a few also doing it with the 2011 RT set.

As far as the rear set... Now this I have not read. I assume the rear set on the RT is far stronger as the added dead weight is greater from the start. But for the life of me I do not remember anyone saying they have taken a rear RT rear set and placed it on an RS. :dontknow: I am not sure the mounting is the same to start with.

An Elka may be in his future, as the 43k miles sounds like a candidate for a new set... :spyder2::doorag::2thumbs:
The rear spring on an RT is much weaker than the RS, because it is supplemented by the air suspension. If you need more in the rear, and adjustment of the preload isn't enough, then an aftermarket unit is in store.

IWN2RYD
05-13-2011, 01:19 PM
The rear spring on an RT is much weaker than the RS, because it is supplemented by the air suspension. If you need more in the rear, and adjustment of the preload isn't enough, then an aftermarket unit is in store.

Really? Man. Good to know. So even the RT ans RT Audio Convenience have the air bag. Sorry for the bad info OP!!! :opps::opps::opps: I thought only the RT-S and Limited had the air bag system.

I think I understand overall. All the RT's have an airbag, just the higher end have the adjustable button and pump... :dontknow:

Regardless. Does the rear RT set fit on an RS?

NancysToy
05-13-2011, 03:58 PM
Really? Man. Good to know. So even the RT ans RT Audio Convenience have the air bag. Sorry for the bad info OP!!! :opps::opps::opps: I thought only the RT-S and Limited had the air bag system.

I think I understand overall. All the RT's have an airbag, just the higher end have the adjustable button and pump... :dontknow:

Regardless. Does the rear RT set fit on an RS?
:thumbup: You've got it now. Same system but no compressor/solenoid arrangement for the lower models. BRP now sells it as an accessory, though.

The RT setup will not fit, as far as I can tell. It takes up far more room, and would require additional components/brackets, even if you made room. Somebody may try it someday, though, who knows?

DynamoBT
05-13-2011, 04:04 PM
Can't see that you need more than bumping up the OEM rear shock to the stiffest setting. Hubby and I are on the Spyder together for most of our ryding. He's heavier of the two of us and sits on the passenger seat. So, we have to be loading up the rear pretty good. I've got the Evoluzione sway bar, 2011 RT shocks in front cranked up all the way. 18 psi in the front and 30 psi in the rear. We were absolutely "cooking" today!! The Spyder handles about the best I could possibly imagine now. Man, it's tight!!! Handles like a dream!!! :doorag:

lonnibdd
05-31-2011, 10:44 PM
well i am a big fellow 330 wife is about 130 and we have no problems on a 08 rs i dont hammer the bumps either i am careful dont want to break. i dont ride 2up as much as 1up but im looking into elkas my buddy races pro am has a hook up through elka so hes gonna let me know what he can get i guess ALOT cheaper than i am finding them

freebob
05-31-2011, 10:59 PM
Customer has a 2008 Spyder RS. Weighs 245 and bottoms out on the rear during high rate riding. Needs a higher rate spring. He doesn't want to shell out for a high dollar rear shock , just needs a spring. I have searched and found nothing. Is there anything available?

OEM rear shock should be sufficient, I would just order a new rear OEM shock assy. for RS, Due to mileage on it, Not that expensive...

Freebob...:doorag: