PDA

View Full Version : Windshield

illuzion
05-10-2011, 01:11 AM
Hey guys! Newbie here again. When replacing your windshield on your Spyder RS/GS. Do you guys buy new rubber washers, plastic washers, and torx screws from Can-Am's site? I have a spare windshield, but I only have the 4 torx screws with it. The windshield that is currently on the spyder has broken down rubber washers. Not so sure about the plastic washers on it.

Can I buy the plastic washers & rubber washers at a Lowe's or Home Depot?

bone crusher
05-10-2011, 06:08 AM
Hey guys! Newbie here again. When replacing your windshield on your Spyder RS/GS. Do you guys buy new rubber washers, plastic washers, and torx screws from Can-Am's site? I have a spare windshield, but I only have the 4 torx screws with it. The windshield that is currently on the spyder has broken down rubber washers. Not so sure about the plastic washers on it.

I think most of the washers on my bike are gone...I'd steal some from the plastic panels, if necessary, as the only place I've seen that really needs the washers are on the windshield.

As far as paying $1.00 for each washer from BRP, I'd find another source...take one with you and go to a small hardware store...Lowe's/HD might not have what you need...the ACE's and mom/pop hardware stores tend to have more of the 'specialty' items.

Any washer will work...it has a basic function...go rubber over plastic...wanna absorb some of that pressure...hard plastic/metal washers not as good against windshield and plastic panels on your bike...

boborgera
05-10-2011, 06:42 AM

I use the torx's that came with the stock shield, and NO washers.
Over 2 years now with a F1 evo 3 no problems.:thumbup:

wyliec
05-10-2011, 07:01 AM
I picked up the small plastic washers at either Lowe's or Home Depot. If you want, I can look thru my box of fasteners and get the actual p/n. Also, I purchased a combo rubber/metal washer from the internet; once again, if you want, I'll look thru my parts box to get the p/n and vendor name.

The combo washer was a find by some other spyderlovers member.

Here's the info I found:

For the plastic washer used with the panels I used a fiber washer from Home Depot: Crown Bolt (mfg), .032 thick, 1/4" ID, 1/2" OD; BB-F/23-F/602.

The combo washer is here:
http://www.mcmaster.com/#bonded-sealing-washers/=c8rrgw

The p/n is 94709A214. This is the one that I use on the panels. Like I said, someone else here found it and it matches the diameter of the bolt head as does the fiber washer from Home Depot.

Since you have a Home Depot, I'll let you decide whether it matches. However, if you want a few of the combos to check out, PM me.

The torx screws/bolts are purchased thru BRP/dealer like Scotty said. I paid $5.00 a piece.

NancysToy
05-10-2011, 07:54 AM
I never found any that matched, at the hardware store. I buy my replacements and spares from my dealer.