PDA

View Full Version : Ride-on tire sealant-balancer

fishcraz
05-09-2011, 07:58 PM
Is anyone using the ride-on product in their tires on an RT? If so how much do you put in front tires vs rear tire? I order some today and hope to add tp my tires this weekend. Picked up our 2011 RT-Limited about 2 weeks ago. There seems to be considerable vibration from tires on this ride vs our 2010 RT-S Limited. So hoping this will help balance the tires...
the web site for the ride-on product indicates it will smooth out any balance issues you may have, along with providing a sealant agent in the
event of a punction..so hopefully no flats...hopefully.

Thanks for any help anyone can offer on doesage for the tires.

Duane

Hawk Eye
05-09-2011, 08:22 PM
I have had it in my 2011 RTS for the last 400 miles and it work as stated I haven't taken the wheel weights off yet but I intend to.

Pete :yes::yes:

Spyderal11
05-09-2011, 09:21 PM
i put some in my RT limited this weekend i used 13oz in front and 18 in the back this is what Rideon and Lamonster recommended on their add during spyderfest it worked well for me the bike runs smooth.

Spyderal11
05-09-2011, 09:23 PM
it takes three of the 16oz for the auto

Papa
05-10-2011, 07:57 AM
:agree: I have 1,000 miles since adding it and it does make a difference. Glad I took Lamonts advice (again).

dave711
05-10-2011, 08:12 AM
been using it now for 8000 mi... works as advertised in my 2010 rt... thanks lamonster:spyder:

frank3
05-10-2011, 08:58 AM
DITTO

been using it now for 8000 mi... works as advertised in my 2010 rt... thanks lamonster:spyder:

Oklahoma Spyder
05-10-2011, 10:01 AM
Where can you get it?

Some Guy
05-10-2011, 10:34 AM
Where can you get it?

They are a site sponsor on the main page. Don't forget to enter the discount code.

fishcraz
05-21-2011, 05:12 PM
How much Ride-on does it take for the Spyder trailer tires?

Thanks.....Duane

stevedfive
05-21-2011, 05:47 PM
I have Ride-on in the RT and trailer tires. I bought it from the dealer so I don't know how much they put in.

fishcraz
05-22-2011, 03:17 PM
Well...I added Ride-on to my 2011 RT-Limited tires today and rode
for about 35 miles. Can't say I'm happy at this point. The vibration is
even worse...especially in the front tires. The fenders are vibrating terrible, as well as the mirrors and me. I had hoped this would take care
of the vibration in the front that I have been experiencing since we got
the bike about 3 weeks ago. Our 2010 RTS had no vibration....very smooth ride. So we'll see...but right now thinking I may have to now
pay to have the tires unmounted, clean out the Ride-on and hope for
balancing.

fispyder
05-22-2011, 03:50 PM
It would have seem to me that you should have made the dealer address this problem seeing you have just biught the :spyder2: If it that bad you might have a bent rim

BikerDoc
05-22-2011, 04:03 PM
even worse...especially in the front tires. The fenders are vibrating terrible, as well as the mirrors and me. I had hoped this would take care
the bike about 3 weeks ago. Our 2010 RTS had no vibration....very smooth ride. So we'll see...but right now thinking I may have to now
balancing.

It is fairly common that the vibration is worse while the Ride On is distributing itself into the proper area of the tires.. Remember it goes in as a blob and it takes sometime to distribute so it would be more out of balance than to begin with.. make your evaluation after at least 100 miles and I feel confident you will be happy.. I sure am with mine!!!!!!

InspectorGadget
05-22-2011, 09:33 PM
How much Ride-on does it take for the Spyder trailer tires?

Thanks.....Duane
The Ride-On chart advises 8 oz for each tire---that is 1 16 oz bottle.
Make sure you have removed your wheel weights. They are no longer needed with the Ride-On.
Have Fun and Ryde Safe C-YA RL

fishcraz
05-23-2011, 08:39 AM
Removed the wheel weights last evening. Did not get out to ride again
and see if removing the weights helped with the vibrations. Hopefully
will try tonight. Will let folks know if the vibration went away.

Thanks for all the comments,
Duane

Rando
05-23-2011, 09:55 AM
I had a horrible vibration when I first installed Ride-On in my RS. I removed the wheel weights and it only made a slight improvement. I blamed it on Ride-On and then I found out it was due to both front rims being bent!

fishcraz
05-23-2011, 12:18 PM
I have to admitt, we've only had this Spyder about a month and the vibration has been there since day one. Unlike the 2010 we had which
was very smooth. I'm hoping it's not the wheels, but thinking it may be
now. Especially after removing the wheel weights last evening...there were many weights on the right front tire. Way more than it should take
to balance any decent tire. So thinking it may be due to bent wheel or
wheels....but will wait before I judge on that. But no matter what,
on a new bike, I shouldn't have to be concerned with these things....get time to mount up and ride so be the only issue.

Duane

Rando
05-23-2011, 12:21 PM
When the local tire place discovered the bent rims, they said it was common due to the size of the rims and the Michigan potholes. In addition, the rims are made in China.

t64507
05-25-2011, 09:12 AM
balancing.
ive only had my bike a week now but when i got it it would vib and shake at speeds of 55+ so i chcked alot of things it could been then not sovling
the problem took to the dealer ,,,, it had to much tire preasure in the front it had 25 lbs they set it at 15 and now its smoth

i felt like a dumbass for not checking but that all it was
i hope this helps

InspectorGadget
05-25-2011, 08:50 PM
ive only had my bike a week now but when i got it it would vib and shake at speeds of 55+ so i chcked alot of things it could been then not sovling
the problem took to the dealer ,,,, it had to much tire preasure in the front it had 25 lbs they set it at 15 and now its smoth

i felt like a dumbass for not checking but that all it was
i hope this helps
I have been running 25 lbs in the front tires for more than 8,000 miles and the handling is great for me ryding 1 or 2 up. I have installed Ride-On in all of my tires and it really does work for balancing.
Have Fun and Ryde Safe C-YA RL

acinpcola
05-25-2011, 09:19 PM
This all sounds most interesting, think I will look into this Ride On and see what it's all about

Be Safe
AC:spyder2:

Wingman
05-25-2011, 11:06 PM
I installed Ride-On in the :spyder2: and the RT-622 trailer yesterday. Took both for a 50 mile ryde. I honestly can't say that there is less vibration now but then I didn't really have any to start with. The :spyder2: rydes great and the trailer pulls as smooth as can be. The knowledge that all 5 tires are protected makes the purchase and installation well worth the time and money. Thanks Lamonster, I love getting discounts.

AntelopeSpyder
05-25-2011, 11:38 PM
I put Ride-On in all my wheels as directed about a year ago. Last month I took the front wheels off and had them chromed. There was one weight on one of the wheels, which I removed before I had them chromed. With the wheels off you could see how the Ride-On had covered the inside of the tires. There was no Ride-On on the rims, which surprised me. The tires were off for about a week.

My question is, should I add more Ride-On. It appears that the tires were fully covered and it was still soft. Can you put to much Ride-On in your tire? The shop was going to balance them for me but I declined.

The wheels seem to vibrate some when I first put them on, it is better now after few hundred miles.

NancysToy
05-26-2011, 07:08 AM
I put Ride-On in all my wheels as directed about a year ago. Last month I took the front wheels off and had them chromed. There was one weight on one of the wheels, which I removed before I had them chromed. With the wheels off you could see how the Ride-On had covered the inside of the tires. There was no Ride-On on the rims, which surprised me. The tires were off for about a week.

My question is, should I add more Ride-On. It appears that the tires were fully covered and it was still soft. Can you put to much Ride-On in your tire? The shop was going to balance them for me but I declined.

The wheels seem to vibrate some when I first put them on, it is better now after few hundred miles.
Ride-On is intended to cover the tread area only...not the rim or sides. The Ride-On Website explains this. Don't add more than the specified amount, it can have undesireable consequences.

Lamonster
05-26-2011, 08:33 AM
I got new tires in CA and I noticed I picked up a shake in my fender going down the road. I had one before but this seemed a little worst and I didn't have Ride On in the RT. I had some with me so I added 13oz to each front wheel when I was in New Mexico and it did help the shake but it's not all gone. I got something else going on but I can't figure it out yet. I noticed this when I had the DPS changed out but I can't say for sure that's when it started. The right fender shakes more than the left but both tires are wearing just fine. I had 26,000 on them when I changed them out and they had even wear. Right now I'm not sure what to think but at least I know I have good flat protection. :doorag:

RGVSpyderGirl
05-26-2011, 08:44 AM
Only had my 2011 RT A&C a week but noticed a wobble in the front at about 55. Is this what you are referring to as a vibration. Dealer insisted I start with 15 in the front. Do you think I should raise that to 18 or add the ride-on? What air pressure to you have it with the ride-on?:dontknow:

Lamonster
05-26-2011, 09:01 AM
Only had my 2011 RT A&C a week but noticed a wobble in the front at about 55. Is this what you are referring to as a vibration. Dealer insisted I start with 15 in the front. Do you think I should raise that to 18 or add the ride-on? What air pressure to you have it with the ride-on?:dontknow:
I've always ran 20psi in my fronts and that works best for me.

Rando
05-26-2011, 09:15 AM
Right now I'm not sure what to think but at least I know I have good flat protection.Bent rim?

Lamonster
05-26-2011, 09:17 AM
Bent rim?
I guess that's a possibility. :dontknow:

cougar
05-26-2011, 10:49 AM
Anyone successfully had front wheels balanced at a tire dealer? I only get vibration between 40-43 mph for some reason.

Hobstopper
05-26-2011, 01:12 PM
I have had a wobble/vibration I think since I have owned the Spyder between 48 to 53 mph. I took the wheels off and took to a local tire dealer to have them spun, while the tech was spinning the right hand wheel he called me over and pointed out that the wheel was moving from side to side. I was in a hurry and went ahead and re-mounted (heading to Cuba). When I returned home I jacked up the front end and hand spun the wheel and found that it was the machining of the wheel that was the problem. I will try to explain it as best I can, it can be seen on the underside of the outer part of the rim, where it makes the transition from the smooth/finished part that you see looking at the wheel from the outside to the where the spokes meet it, transitioning to the lower flat area of the rim. You can see, while spinning the wheel, it moving in and out. I put two pictures up, one looking from the outside with the area circled and one from the inside with the area circle.
This is not a bend it is faulty machining.
Dealer is supposed to be getting me a new one. I have also taken videos of it just in case.
I can get better pictures if it would help, these are snapshots from the videos I took.

Campverdefela
05-26-2011, 02:56 PM
I have had a wobble/vibration I think since I have owned the Spyder between 48 to 53 mph. I took the wheels off and took to a local tire dealer to have them spun, while the tech was spinning the right hand wheel he called me over and pointed out that the wheel was moving from side to side. I was in a hurry and went ahead and re-mounted (heading to Cuba). When I returned home I jacked up the front end and hand spun the wheel and found that it was the machining of the wheel that was the problem. I will try to explain it as best I can, it can be seen on the underside of the outer part of the rim, where it makes the transition from the smooth/finished part that you see looking at the wheel from the outside to the where the spokes meet it, transitioning to the lower flat area of the rim. You can see, while spinning the wheel, it moving in and out. I put two pictures up, one looking from the outside with the area circled and one from the inside with the area circle.
This is not a bend it is faulty machining.
Dealer is supposed to be getting me a new one. I have also taken videos of it just in case.
I can get better pictures if it would help, these are snapshots from the videos I took.
I suspect a bunch more Spyder owners may have this problem to various degrees. These cheaply made rims are from China and I noticed how thin the painted finish is also, you can practically rub thru it with your finger.

fishcraz
05-27-2011, 07:08 AM
This is exactly what I'm fighting on my brand new RT-Limited. The 2010 was so smooth...now this one not. Mine does just as Lamonstre says his is doing after replacing tires. Right front fender is vibrating badly, and you can feel it in the handle bars.

If it's poor machining or bent rims....it's poor and shouldn't be happening. BRP may want to pay a little more attention to the details if this is the case. They surely are not shy on what they expect to get for their products....and I am not shy about expecting it to be of the highest
quaility. But I'm headed to a tire dealer today to try and get the wheels
spun balanced, and see if that takes care of it. Going to have them check for bent rims or anything else.

I have no doubt my dealer will make it right if there is something wrong....it's just they are 80 miles from me , so trying to resolve here rather than running up there.

Duane

SpyderAnn01
05-27-2011, 07:22 AM
Hobstopper do you have uneven wear on your tires?

Hobstopper
05-27-2011, 09:47 AM
My tires are pretty even, I am starting to see a slight uneven wear on the wheel in question. I have 18,500 miles on mine so far and should be able to make at least 24,000 pretty easy before I need to change. I have checked as best I can without going through the alignment procedure the tracking of the front end. My quick procedure, find a fixed common point to measure from to different locations around the wheel and compare to the other side and have not been able to find anything that would raise an eyebrow.
The reason that I probably did not notice the "wobble" as much when it was new was the tire pressure was set lower then what I changed it to a while back. The lower air pressure probably allowed the tire to absorb some of the wobble instead of transferring it to the handle bars.
13 to 14 PSI starting off, changed to 18 to 19 PSI now.
The opposite tire (left from sitting position) is dead on.

fishcraz
05-29-2011, 01:16 PM
So my vibration is resolved......removed from wheels, unmounted tires, washed them out and cleaned everything up from the ride-on in them.
Remounted the tires, and had them balanced at a tire shop. The rear tire still has the ride-on in. Put the front wheels back on bike and rode for about 100 miles. Very smooth now. So my problem looks to have been the front tires were not balanced correctly from the factor. But not sure why the ride-on didn't really help me. And I tried with the wheels weights on annd removed, but still had vibraton. But now happy........Duane

Lamonster
05-29-2011, 01:22 PM
I fixed my problem too. I had the wife on the back yesterday and she noticed the bad vibration. It seemed to be worst than before so I pulled over and took my pocket knife off and popped all the wheel weights off and in about a mile it was as smooth as could be. The right side had way too much weight on it and even the ride-on couldn't fix it. Now all I have is ride-on in it and it is smooth as can be but my wife can't believe I drove all the way from California like it was. :opps:

SpyderAnn01
05-29-2011, 06:58 PM
I just changed the rear tire and put in Ride-on and removed the weights and it feels great. I also put Ride-on in my trailer tires but I didn't remove the weights because there were at least 8 weights on one tire and 5 on the other. Just afraid that if it required so many weights that the Ride-on wouldn't be able to balance it.

cjackg
06-03-2011, 08:25 AM
Will Ride-On be available for sale at Maggie Valley ?

Trickie Dick
06-03-2011, 09:21 PM
Will Ride-On be available for sale at Maggie Valley ?
I doubt it. Since BRP is footing the bill for this meeting, I doubt they will have any outside vendors there. They didn't last year in Chicago.