PDA

View Full Version : My first "issue" with my new Spyder

ArkTerry
05-08-2011, 06:56 PM
1 week into ownership, out on my 5th ride today (slowly making longer and farther away from home trips as I get comfortable) and have wife along for her 2nd ride with me. Of course at the furtherest point from home, the city, etc... off at the end of a 2 mile dead end road where nobody usually drives to the end of. I stop so we can stretch and have a soda.. Go to start the engine and hit the starter button and "Houston we have a problem" = nothing happens! Go thru the whole check list several times (take key out, put key, in check parking break, check foot brake depressed, check gears, check kill switch, etc. etc.) and still nothing. We are of course just out of cell phone coverage area and my new trailer is not done yet so I am thinking "of all the times and places for first hiccup" and how am I going to get this Spyder hauled back home? :helpsmilie:

Well, I think about what I have read here about battery cables and fuses getting lose, etc.. so I raise the seat and wiggle/press on each fuse and the entire fuse wire assembly thing and then try and YES HOUSTON, we have ignition!!!!! Nothing seemed really that lose or out, but I guess something must have been. I will check it much closer later before going out again and have dealer check it in a few weeks at 600 service time.

Bottom line, thanks for this place :2thumbs: and all the good info posted here. My hours and hours of reading old and current posts paid off again. Hoping that if this is as bad of a "issue" as I ever have since so easy to fix!

boborgera
05-08-2011, 07:07 PM
1 week into ownership, out on my 5th ride today (slowly making longer and farther away from home trips as I get comfortable) and have wife along for her 2nd ride with me. Of course at the furtherest point from home, the city, etc... off at the end of a 2 mile dead end road where nobody usually drives to the end of. I stop so we can stretch and have a soda.. Go to start the engine and hit the starter button and "Houston we have a problem" = nothing happens! Go thru the whole check list several times (take key out, put key, in check parking break, check foot brake depressed, check gears, check kill switch, etc. etc.) and still nothing. We are of course just out of cell phone coverage area and my new trailer is not done yet so I am thinking "of all the times and places for first hiccup" and how am I going to get this Spyder hauled back home? :helpsmilie:

Well, I think about what I have read here about battery cables and fuses getting lose, etc.. so I raise the seat and wiggle/press on each fuse and the entire fuse wire assembly thing and then try and YES HOUSTON, we have ignition!!!!! Nothing seemed really that lose or out, but I guess something must have been. I will check it much closer later before going out again and have dealer check it in a few weeks at 600 service time.

Bottom line, thanks for this place :2thumbs: and all the good info posted here. My hours and hours of reading old and current posts paid off again. Hoping that if this is as bad of a "issue" as I ever have since so easy to fix!

:thumbup::thumbup:

Dudley
05-08-2011, 07:11 PM
I would also put a wrench to the battery cables! Make sure they are TIGHT.

groundeffect
05-08-2011, 07:17 PM

Good post.:thumbup:

I would also put a wrench to the battery cables! Make sure they are TIGHT.
:thumbup:

ARtraveler
05-08-2011, 07:45 PM
:welcome: It's scarry when the :spyder2: acts up. Glad you got it solved without calling in the National Guard.

BajaRon
05-08-2011, 08:21 PM
Sounds like a dealer prep issue. The battery cables need to be good and snug. Hope you find this is the fix for your untimely issue.

Thanks for hanging in there. Some people let frustration cloud their approach and miss out on the thrill of victory! :thumbup:

SpyderAnn01
05-08-2011, 08:21 PM
:agree: